Buying a used Subaru....- Mtbr.com
    hipneck
    Jan 2004

Buying a used Subaru....

Hey guys, Im looking at buying a 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i SE with 80k. Is this one of the model years that had the head gasket problem? Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Head gasket problem was on the earlier pre '01 2.5 motors.

hipneck
    Jan 2004

looking for more advice

I would like to ask for some advice from people who have experience buying used Subarus. I looked at the Subaru I want ( 2007 Impreza 2.5i SE) and the things I noticed are,
    the good: 1.new front brakes, dealer had told me this on the phone
    2.tires look good , cant see any abnormal wear
    3.exterior looks very good
    4.interior has no torn fabric

the bad: 1.new front rotors, dealer just said new brakes but I know a new rotor when I see one. makes me worry car hasnt been maintained
    2.holes drilled under hood, someone has enlarged a couple holes under the hood to make room for the hood support. makes me worry some idiot has spent time under the hood.
    3. there is a big cigarette burn hole on the outside edge of the drivers seat. dealer had quoted smoke free on his web site, and of course it smells like smoke.
    4. interior appears to have excessive wear. interior is dirty, no mats. front seat is showing more wear than I think it should, head liner is worn around sunroof.

I dont know if some of these bad things are red flags or not. I bought my current vehicle new and have had it since 1998, so I have very little used car buying experience. If interested you can see it at abflintmotors.com. Does any of the bad things look suspicious to anyone?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I wouldn't worry about new rotors. The holes in the engine bay sound strange, and the interior sounds poorly maintained.

Bottom line, go with your gut. If you're wondering if this might not be the car for you, walk away.

I have bought 3 Subarus used (still have two of them). The headgasket issue was for 2004 and earlier 2.5 NA motors. I have two 2006s (Outback and Forester) currently with no issues. My 2003 Forester had the head gasket go at 96,000 miles, so I fixed it and sold it.

I <3 dirt
    I'd walk away from it. Clearly the dealer isnt very honest plus who wants to sit in a smokers car? Gross.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I say walk away. The cigarette smell will never go away. You can cover it up but it will be there as soon as you let it bake in the sun. Also a crappy interior is a huge turn off for me, so there are 2 reasons to say no. All you need is one.

What is your budget? There are some very inexpensive new cars that may be more affordable than a 5 year old Subaru. Financing is easier and you can obviously keep a car for a while.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

hipneck
    Jan 2004
    my budget is about 12k. I looked at a Mazda 3 a few weeks ago, and test drove a 2008 Mazda 6 today. Looking for a sporty hatchback or sedan. Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    I'd run too. The interior wear is a give away for carelessness IMHO. What happened under the hood could be a nightmare in the making, and the dealer lied to you...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Try to find the car you want private party, dealers make their money buy buying cars at auction and fixing them up (it's extremely common for them to repaint bumpers etc to hide careless driving/crashes). It's rare that they have cars that haven't been in accidents or are anything you'd really want. Buying a car from a dealer doesn't really protect you at all, the selection is usually lower quality and you have no opportunity to talk to the owner--all for a premium price.

The easiest way to identify if a car has been in an accident is paintwork. Learn to inspect paint (it's not hard) for variations in orange peel, color, etc. to identify what panels are repainted. Keep in mind Subaru paint is crap and if the bumpers don't color match the car that might be normal. I bought my subaru new (2011 wrx) and they don't match, drives me crazy but like I said their paint is crap.

mtbr member
    I have a '04 WRX wagon that I bought new (115k now). Like stated earlier, the brake rotor is no big deal, I replaced the front rotors on mine before 80K. The smoke smell scares me though. Every time you get in the car you're going to smell it. Maybe if it was a really good deal, but I would avoid it at the asked price, especially when you know the dealer isn't being honest (no surprise there at all though).

Have you considered a 2003 Legacy Outback sedan? One of the better looking cars out there and I think they're also available with a very good 6 cylinder engine (maybe $8-9K). Another plus is the owners are the type to not beat on a car. A more risky (but more fun) option is to go for an older ('03 to '04) WRX (WRX sport wagon) for maybe $7-8K.

If you want to be Super Awesome, you put a lift on a WRX...just like me.
    My Build Thread at Dirty Impreza
    Go to page 4 for the end result pictures.

Steve
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    The dealer is lying to you about the smoke and WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE. I say walk away.... find a different dealer and a different car.

DISCLAIMER: Below is my $0.02 on Subaru and Subaru of America. If you continue to read, don't be angry, this is based on my PERSONAL experience with Subaru, SOA, Huffines Subaru and Subaru of Dallas.

I may be mistaken, but SOA requires an additive be added to the coolant any time a coolant change is performed. This additive is a head gasket conditioner (presumably very similar to the "fix" they issued, and failed in my car TWICE, for the 00/01 cars). So, as far as I am concerned as a previous owner of a 2001 2.5RS, Subaru has not resolved the head gasket issues and instead uses a chemical "conditioner" (sealer?) to keep the problems at bay.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVED my Subaru. I would love to own one again, BUT I don't think SOA is very forthcoming about the issues and fixes for those issues. My car was a nightmare car with 3 head gasket failures and SIX failures of wheels bearings (same bearing every time). Subaru denied that there was any problem with either part despite MANY claims (and law suits) against them. i love their cars, but the company can go suck a big donkey #### as far as I am concerned.
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah, look for another Subaru.

I have an 02 WRX Wagon. Bought used in 04. Runs like the day I got it and its at 200k miles. Just had the second timing belt/water pump (100k replacement per Subaru). Properly maintained they last forever.

However, these cars (esp. the WRX/STIs) are teenage jackhole magnets and if you are seeing drilled holes under the hood I say RUN! There was likely some attempt at modification and car has probably been hooned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    My car was a nightmare car with 3 head gasket failures and SIX failures of wheels bearings (same bearing every time). Subaru denied that there was any problem with either part despite MANY claims (and law suits) against them. i love their cars, but the company can go suck a big donkey #### as far as I am concerned.
    That sucks. I've been fortunate that everything has been working well with mine. Was your car a 2 door or 4 door? Could you get it back? Nothing quite like an STi swap into the lighter weight coupe...
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Turn around and run! I had a horrible experience with buying a used Mini Cooper S from a major car dealer. I traded in my beloved GTI for it and have regretted it ever since. The car had some issues that i noticed right off the bat before i bought it but got suckered in with the whole Ah it can be fixed thing! The wheels were all corroded and the trunk mat was wet amongst other things. Bu they that can be fixed right?! Dont let yourself get jaded and suckered in because its "new" go find a car thats right for you im sure its out there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My car was a nightmare car with 3 head gasket failures and SIX failures of wheels bearings (same bearing every time).
    Six wheel bearing failures of the same wheel is because of the axle itself...not the bearing. I work for a Subaru dealer and what happens sometimes on these cars is that the axle will get corroded and pitted where the axle contacts the seal for the bearing. If you don't fix the corrosion by either grinding it away or replacing the axle and sometimes the hub, the corrosion will rub against the seal and grind the seal away. When that happens, water gets in and rusts and destroys the bearing. If the dealer or aftermarket repair facility didn't catch it then that's their fault not the cars. Just FYI.

These cars did have some head gasket issues, no doubt! But if you have them replaced with the head gaskets used in the turbo legacy engines you will NEVER do them again, for god sakes I drive one! They are nice cars but the head gaskets from the factory and even the "updated" ones suck!!

To the OP, have it inspected by an independent dealer. I would NEVER spend a large amount on a car without a dealership not associated with the sale inspecting it, that goes for any car make. Word to the wise

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jreinan01 View Post
    Six wheel bearing failures of the same wheel is because of the axle itself...not the bearing. I work for a Subaru dealer and what happens sometimes on these cars is that the axle will get corroded and pitted where the axle contacts the seal for the bearing. If you don't fix the corrosion by either grinding it away or replacing the axle and sometimes the hub, the corrosion will rub against the seal and grind the seal away. When that happens, water gets in and rusts and destroys the bearing. If the dealer or aftermarket repair facility didn't catch it then that's their fault not the cars. Just FYI.
    SOA denied that there was any problem. First wheel bearing failure happened at 21K miles in Texas. We don't have a lot of corrosion issues here. After the second repair at two different Subaru facilities (repairs carried out per the instructions of the service bulletin put out by SOA at the time), I was told Subaru would not warranty any more failures because I was abusing the car. The 6th (and final) replacement was a used suspension piece from a 03 WRX. No more problems. The driver side rear wheel bearing was almost always the bearing that failed on these cars. Every one I have talked to had the same problem at the same corner and had it replaced MANY times. The idea that Subaru dealerships all over the country was some how missing the "simple" problem you describe is insane. Either Subaru is full of incompetent people from New Jersey to Houston, or they had bigger issues than they wanted to let on to. So yes, it was Subaru's problem not just my car's. 6 bearing failures on the same corner of the car within 110K miles is unacceptable especially while the mfg is claiming there was no problem.

These cars did have some head gasket issues, no doubt! But if you have them replaced with the head gaskets used in the turbo legacy engines you will NEVER do them again, for god sakes I drive one! They are nice cars but the head gaskets from the factory and even the "updated" ones suck!!
    My last replacement was with a set of Fel-Pro gaskets and I never had the problem again. Again, I had head gaskets replaced twice under warranty before they again informed me that I would not be getting them replaced again. No amount of abuse will cause the head gasket to ROT between the water jacket and the outside of the engine (the failures were not at the cylinder bore which was at least good since that would have destroyed the entire engine). Once again, Subaru denied there was any quality issue and issued a TSB to put a "conditioner" in the coolant of most of their cars... like I said... I venture a guess that it was a sealant.

On a side note... the 2.5RS engine was a nice engine. I dumped my coolant in Ozark, MO the third (final) time they failed. My mechanic was actually with me at Lambert's (restaurant) when we walked out to find my car sitting in a green puddle next to his Suburban. We topped off the coolant (which would leak out in within 20 miles) to get the car back up on the highway and cruising. The engine could actually air cool itself quite well (this wasn't summer!). We drove the car back ~460 miles with no coolant and not a single overheat incident. Replaced the gaskets with the Fel-Pro parts and never had another issue.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

ballbuster

I saw that once on an older VW Rabbit

SOA denied that there was any problem. First wheel bearing failure happened at 21K miles in Texas. We don't have a lot of corrosion issues here. After the second repair at two different Subaru facilities (repairs carried out per the instructions of the service bulletin put out by SOA at the time), I was told Subaru would not warranty any more failures because I was abusing the car. The 6th (and final) replacement was a used suspension piece from a 03 WRX. No more problems. The driver side rear wheel bearing was almost always the bearing that failed on these cars. Every one I have talked to had the same problem at the same corner and had it replaced MANY times. The idea that Subaru dealerships all over the country was some how missing the "simple" problem you describe is insane. Either Subaru is full of incompetent people from New Jersey to Houston, or they had bigger issues than they wanted to let on to. So yes, it was Subaru's problem not just my car's. 6 bearing failures on the same corner of the car within 110K miles is unacceptable especially while the mfg is claiming there was no problem.

My last replacement was with a set of Fel-Pro gaskets and I never had the problem again. Again, I had head gaskets replaced twice under warranty before they again informed me that I would not be getting them replaced again. No amount of abuse will cause the head gasket to ROT between the water jacket and the outside of the engine (the failures were not at the cylinder bore which was at least good since that would have destroyed the entire engine). Once again, Subaru denied there was any quality issue and issued a TSB to put a "conditioner" in the coolant of most of their cars... like I said... I venture a guess that it was a sealant.

On a side note... the 2.5RS engine was a nice engine. I dumped my coolant in Ozark, MO the third (final) time they failed. My mechanic was actually with me at Lambert's (restaurant) when we walked out to find my car sitting in a green puddle next to his Suburban. We topped off the coolant (which would leak out in within 20 miles) to get the car back up on the highway and cruising. The engine could actually air cool itself quite well (this wasn't summer!). We drove the car back ~460 miles with no coolant and not a single overheat incident. Replaced the gaskets with the Fel-Pro parts and never had another issue.
    If the bearing was started crooked when pressed in, it would make the hole in the carrier deform to an oval, then the bearing would fail in short order. Sounds like the first time you had it fixed, the mechanic screwed it up and that caused repeated failures from then on.

The dealer should have caught this by using an inside bore micrometer (like they would use to check cylinder bores).

It is probably just procedure, and the actual mechanic not knowing the actual history. If I was a mechanic, and somebody brought me a car with a bad wheel bearing, I would probably just press out the old one and put in a new one, probably without checking the bore in the bearing carrier. If somebody told me the owner had 2 or 3 previous failures inside of X miles, I would dig deeper to see if another part was out of spec... the carrier and the hub.

But yeah, I hear SOA is great for weaseling out of warranty work.

mtbr member
    The earlier SOHC naturally-aspirated EJ25 engines were known for external head gasket leaks.

The DOHC naturally-aspirated EJ25 engines were known for total head gasket failure, and after such failure, leads to the very possibility of destroyed rod bearings. It's a shame because I find it to be a fun little engine.

As for "Cooling System Conditioner", all I can say is Subaru engineers or whatever probably found Holts Radweld to be the best fix for the SOHC EJ25 naturally-aspirated engines.

https://s7.y77.us/se/img01/SUBARU-co...adweld2-md.jpg

From what I heard from my local Subaru technician, he recommends enthusiasts use upgraded head gaskets (for example, the head gasket for turbocharged engines was mentioned in this thread) since we enthusiasts like to rev the **** out of our engines. Hell, he even recommended using Cosworth head gaskets.

For shame that Subarus don't have the best head gaskets...

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    If the bearing was started crooked when pressed in, it would make the hole in the carrier deform to an oval, then the bearing would fail in short order. Sounds like the first time you had it fixed, the mechanic screwed it up and that caused repeated failures from then on.
    Yeah, I would go with that except it doesn't explain the original failure or the lack of coverage from Subaru to fix the actual problem. The problem wasn't the original repair, it was the faulty knuckle or bad bearings that Subaru installed at the factory (and thus the reason that most failures were specifically the driver, rear bearing). My car was FAR from an isolated incident.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah, I would go with that except it doesn't explain the original failure or the lack of coverage from Subaru to fix the actual problem. The problem wasn't the original repair, it was the faulty knuckle or bad bearings that Subaru installed at the factory (and thus the reason that most failures were specifically the driver, rear bearing). My car was FAR from an isolated incident.
    Why would they cover it? That vehicle had coverage for defects in parts or workmanship for a period of 5yrs and 60k miles on powertrain components. Beyond that it has to be covered as a goodwill gesture or a parts warranty (12mo/12k miles). I'm sorry but as someone who deals with these cars in a service department every single day, if you have had the same bearing fail 6 times in 110k miles either the techs doing the work are doing something wrong or missing something. That is a fact, the drivers rear wheel bearings do fail more often on those cars but that frequency is SUPER abnormal.

Above and beyond all of this...point me to a manufacturer that doesn't have common failures of a certain part on their cars. The NHTSA has not seen enough evidence of these systematic bearing failures to issue a recall?!?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I would keep looking! I had a 98 Forester that I loved! I had the head gasket go, but that's just a Subaru thing. As apposed to the mountain of nagging issues I have had with the other cars I have owned, its still one of the best value cars for mile to me.

That being said, I just bought an 09 Impreza with 33k on it Friday for 10,500. So I think you can find alot better deal then what you are looking at. But it's just my opinion.

Good Luck

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jreinan01 View Post
    Why would they cover it? That vehicle had coverage for defects in parts or workmanship for a period of 5yrs and 60k miles on powertrain components. Beyond that it has to be covered as a goodwill gesture or a parts warranty (12mo/12k miles). I'm sorry but as someone who deals with these cars in a service department every single day, if you have had the same bearing fail 6 times in 110k miles either the techs doing the work are doing something wrong or missing something. That is a fact, the drivers rear wheel bearings do fail more often on those cars but that frequency is SUPER abnormal.

Above and beyond all of this...point me to a manufacturer that doesn't have common failures of a certain part on their cars. The NHTSA has not seen enough evidence of these systematic bearing failures to issue a recall?!?
    Possibly, maybe they would cover it because the failures happened at 35K, 44K, 52K, and then headed out of warranty. Like I have said more than once, it wasn't JUST my car and it wasn't just at my dealerships. This was all over the country and SOA issued a TSB to "fix" the problem that did not work and did not fix the problem. One of my fellow Texans sued SOA over the wheel bearing failures and in the settlement (yup, SOA settled out of court to keep the lid on it all) he was forced to sign a non-disclosure and yet still made out with more than enough money to replace the car several times over. SOA was (if not still is) a shady company with poor customer service. I am sure your view is just a LITTLE biased since they sign your pay checks.

And a recall is issued when safety is at stake and a failing wheel bearing is a nuisance and a hole in a wallet for the owner but rarely results in total separation of the wheel from the car and therefor: Cost of recall > Total liability for failing part.

To compare, Honda in the 06-07 Civics had an issue with a seal on the wheel bearing that was not installed correctly at the factory. A recall WAS issued by Honda because their reputation was on the line and just like Toyota and the acceleration problem (or non-problem as it turns out) would have been a PR night mare and the Cost of recall < Money lost in media fall out. Recall was issued and cars were fixed. Just like Toyota recalling cars to fix a problem that wasn't even the cars (acceleration) just to look like they were DOING SOMETHING to fix the problem instead of folding their arms and saying "The NHTSA has not seen enough evidence of these systematic bearing failures to issue a recall."

Subaru is a much smaller company than Honda or Toyota so there would have never been as much coverage of something so "trivial." Just saying that Subaru has taken the chicken **** way out of many problems (head gasket "conditioner"?).
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    SOA was (if not still is) a shady company with poor customer service. I am sure your view is just a LITTLE biased since they sign your pay checks.
    They DO NOT sign my pay checks, dealers are NOT owned by the manufacturer. There isn't much that bugs me more than when a person who has experience with their car and their car only tries to tell me,who has experience and behind the scenes knowledge, what is and what is not normal and what does and does not happen to these cars. I will try one more time, six wheel bearing failures on one wheel is either your fault or the fault of whoever is doing the repairs (I think it is the tech missing something, a previous person explained how this happens with a tech not knowing history). Yes...for the third time...these cars do experience higher incidence of failure of the drivers rear wheel bearing, but SIX times in 110k miles is completely outside of what is "normal failure" on these cars. I have been involved in replacement of probably 500 Subaru wheel bearings, you have been involved in six....don't try and tell me what is and is not commonly seen.

Can you also explain to me how a wheel bearing failing and the rear wheel locking up due to bearing failure is NOT a safety concern? You are starting to truly show your bias about the car and understandably so, you have gone through a lot of hassle and presumably a lot of money. Recalls can and are issued by either the NHTSA or voluntarily by the manufacturer, IF the NHTSA had found reason to force a recall on rear wheel bearings (which are a safety item) there would be one.

I intended no ill will in this whole topic, was just pitching in my two cents...ride on and good luck

Elitest thrill junkie
    I may be mistaken, but SOA requires an additive be added to the coolant any time a coolant change is performed. This additive is a head gasket conditioner (presumably very similar to the "fix" they issued, and failed in my car TWICE, for the 00/01 cars). So, as far as I am concerned as a previous owner of a 2001 2.5RS, Subaru has not resolved the head gasket issues and instead uses a chemical "conditioner" (sealer?) to keep the problems at bay.
    They may not have solved the problem well for your year, but that model is more than 10yrs old, and except for the ones around yours, it's not really been an issue. I had 135K on my WRX and it was going strong. Great engines.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I <3 dirt
    I'd buy a Mazda 3 hatchback over a Subaru any day.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    I'd buy a Mazda 3 hatchback over a Subaru any day.
    My wife and I did.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    They may not have solved the problem well for your year, but that model is more than 10yrs old, and except for the ones around yours, it's not really been an issue. I had 135K on my WRX and it was going strong. Great engines.
    It isn't that they haven't fixed some of the problems, but it is in how they handled the problems they had. I keep saying, I loved my car, I hated Subaru.

As for the poster thinking I am biased, guess what? I am. That is why I put the disclaimer in my post. And you would be too if you had received such horrible service from EVERY dealership and SOA rep in your area. You have only delivered the exact "service" they did. You (and them) acknowledge there is a higher rate of failure but continue to blame the consumer. Nice to see the corporate policy hasn't changed.

Guess what else? I tell the same story to ANYBODY that I can about Subaru and how they treat customers. My story isn't an isolated event and I direct anybody that thinks it is to do some searching and reading on the internet.

I stand by my comments before. Subaru of America is an awful company with very poor customer service. They make cars that are fun to drive and serve a good niche in the market, but they suck as a company.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    It isn't that they haven't fixed some of the problems, but it is in how they handled the problems they had. I keep saying, I loved my car, I hated Subaru.

As for the poster thinking I am biased, guess what? I am. That is why I put the disclaimer in my post. And you would be too if you had received such horrible service from EVERY dealership and SOA rep in your area. You have only delivered the exact "service" they did. You (and them) acknowledge there is a higher rate of failure but continue to blame the consumer. Nice to see the corporate policy hasn't changed.

Guess what else? I tell the same story to ANYBODY that I can about Subaru and how they treat customers. My story isn't an isolated event and I direct anybody that thinks it is to do some searching and reading on the internet.

I stand by my comments before. Subaru of America is an awful company with very poor customer service. They make cars that are fun to drive and serve a good niche in the market, but they suck as a company.
    Exactly the story I've heard on many Subaru forums, you're not the only one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

It appears that you are much too hard headed to understand what I am saying....last time... I'm not saying you did anything wrong I'm saying for the fourth time that THE DEALERSHIP OR REPAIR FACILITY EITHER DAMAGED THE CARRIER OR MISSED THE CAUSE OF THE BEARING FAILURES AFTER FIRST REPLACEMENT ....your problem should be with the dealership that did that work (which is not Subaru, just a repair facility representing Subaru). Subaru (corporate or district service manager that authorizes goodwill repairs) knows that this is not a normal bearing failure...it is a resulting failure due to a different problem, so they won't get involved. It is not Subaru's (the company, not to be confused with the dealership) fault that the dealer that did the work on your car made a mistake, mistakes aren't covered under warranty and a good dealership, like the one I work for, would pony up and pay to replace the housing that they almost without a doubt messed up. When the new bearing was pressed in they almost certainly over torqued the bearing tool and made the housing oblong, thus causing the subsequent failures.

I think where you and I are not seeing eye to eye is that you equate the dealer to Subaru and they aren't...the dealer is the one you have a problem with here...if they replaced wheel bearing 6 times in 110k miles without looking for another cause they are completely incompetent. I talked about this scenario at work today and every technician that I spoke to agreed that this is completely outside of normal failures....

As to if other people on the Internet are reporting multiple failures or not...yes I read those too...but when you have 500,000 cars it doesn't take very many people to make something look like an epidemic. I do not understand why you think I have any reason whatsoever to misinform you or "cover-up" for a company I don't work for...you'll notice I made no comments about multiple head gasket failures not being common...that's because they ARE if the normal factory gaskets are used, they will fail and fail and fail.

I am 100% done with this thread it has been a massive waste of my time because you are never going to hear what I am actually saying

Elitest thrill junkie

True story: when my brother rolled and totaled one of my parents foresters (we had two )and my patents wrote them a letter thanking them for such a safe car, and they in turn wrote back and gave my parents an extra 1000+ off the best deal they could get from any dealer, completely between them and SOA. So that was pretty cool, as was the outback ll bean h6 we got next.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Just as a reminder, I posted this in bold red text in the original post that has set you off:

DISCLAIMER: Below is my $0.02 on Subaru and Subaru of America. If you continue to read, don't be angry, this is based on my PERSONAL experience with Subaru, SOA, Huffines Subaru and Subaru of Dallas.

so they won't get involved.
    Can I be more clear to you, they did get involved. They were involved. They also would not address the real issues with the car. There is a real reason why owners were suing under the lemon laws for the wheel bearing failure.

I think where you and I are not seeing eye to eye is that you equate the dealer to Subaru and they aren't..
    Covered under warranty or not, Subaru (both the dealerships and the SOA rep involved in my case) refused to really diagnose and repair the car correctly. I don't equate them, I dealt with both of them.

As to if other people on the Internet are reporting multiple failures or not...yes I read those too...but when you have 500,000 cars it doesn't take very many people to make something look like an epidemic.
    Most of us the were plagued with their bad wheel bearings have the same complaint. It wasn't the bearing that pissed us off, it was how Subaru of America (not just the dealerships) treated us while dealing with them once dealerships tried to wipe their hands blaming us. SOA also blamed us for abuse and refused to fix the cars. It wasn't the bearing failure alone that makes me hate them (and their dealerships), it is their VERY poor service all of them delivered to me.

I do not understand why you think I have any reason whatsoever to misinform you or "cover-up" for a company I don't work for...you'll notice I made no comments about multiple head gasket failures not being common...that's because they ARE if the normal factory gaskets are used, they will fail and fail and fail.
    They may not sign your check, but you depend on them for your check. If you are a Subaru salesman, you depend on their cars to put food on your table. You have every right to defend them, I understand that, but that doesn't change my (or others') experience with SOA and the dealerships (all over the country) that we had to deal with.

As for the head gaskets, you can't defend them on that when they still haven't fixed the part. I went to look at getting a new Subaru a year or so ago until I found that they still required the sealant (conditioner) to be used. 11 years have passed and they still have not fixed the issue? I don't know. That is why I walked away, it was clear that Subaru may have fixed some issues, but they are still sticking their heads in the sand. If a better and more reliable pat is available, how much is it really going to cost FHI to use the better part? (surely less than warranty repairs on the crappy one, right?)

I can't say it enough.... I loved my Subaru. It was my favorite car to drive (period, no questions asked). The car made me smile just walking outside and seeing it. Because of where I live (surrounded by shitty Subaru dealerships ), I cannot and will not own another one. That isn't the case every where, and your dealership may be a good one (but you know that any mfg has good and bad dealerships every where), but none of the ones around here are.

I am 100% done with this thread it has been a massive waste of my time because you are never going to hear what I am actually saying
    You haven't heard what I am saying either. I keep saying that it was my personal experience. I have not once told anybody to NOT buy a Subaru, but I will share my experience with them every time. Waste of time? That is 100% what an internet forum is all about.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    True story: when my brother rolled and totaled one of my parents foresters (we had two )and my patents wrote them a letter thanking them for such a safe car, and they in turn wrote back and gave my parents an extra 1000+ off the best deal they could get from any dealer, completely between them and SOA. So that was pretty cool, as was the outback ll bean h6 we got next.
    My wife (fiance at the time) and I were broad sided by a red light runner doing 45-55mph in my Subaru. Partially because of where she hit (just behind the driver's B pillar) and because of the car, we walked away with injury. Of course.... getting hit by the crazy ass ***** directly in the driver's door would have ended differently. The rear door was push 6-8 inches into the cushion of the back seat. Safe cars for sure... both with active safety and passive safety.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0