Buying a cheep used car for mountain biking?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Buying a cheep used car for mountain biking?

So now that I have fully turned my Silverado in to a work truck itís mostly useless for most other things. And having to empty it every time I want to go for a ride is not happening. So Iím getting a second car. I have found 2 vary clean 2008s for the same price 4K and there both blue. First is a 08 Ford Escape xlt v6 awd. The other is an 08 Dodge Caliber xst with the 1.8l and a 5sp manual. I am vary drown to the Dodge because of the manual. I will probably keep the car till the wheels fall off or it wonít pass inspection. So what would be the better mountain bike car?

Bikesexual
    I guess if you put a hitch receiver, either would do. If I was planning to travel the Escape would be my choice. One of my Xs had one and I drove it often great little SUV. She worked for McD's and drove it to the ground.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Up In Smoke
    Are those the best options? Iíd suggest the dodge. But...

You could probably find an older awd 5-speed Honda CR-V for less, roof rack and trailer hitch compatible

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ...I bought a used cargo van for about the same reason...Ya didn't ask but..think about it.
    lean forward

All fat, all the time.
    Why would you have to empty a truck when you want to go for a ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Why would you comment on a thread with an obtuse question?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Why would you comment on a thread with an obtuse question?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Really??
    Trucks can haul things, plus bikes. I don't take my tools out, my bike goes on a rack.

Way cheaper to buy a rack than a second vehicle.

I think you are being obtuse lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Are those the best options? Iíd suggest the dodge. But...

You could probably find an older awd 5-speed Honda CR-V for less, roof rack and trailer hitch compatible
    Yes they are my best options. I canít find anything Honda in this area thats not rusted out or really old or doesnít have a lot of miles on it.

mtbr member
    2 reasons really. 1 I have a hitch rack but Iím not hot on the idea of 15 to 20k of tools sitting in the bed of my truck at a trail head. And 2 it takes too long to empty the bed before and after a ride. My truck latterly is packed front to back and floor to rail and I have a cover for it to keep everything dry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    You couldn't pay me to own a Dodge Caliber. What a POS.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride View Post
    ...I bought a used cargo van for about the same reason...Ya didn't ask but..think about it.
    This. Or a minivan. A friend of mine kept the family minivan and traded in his car for the new family cruiser. He built a "platform" out plywood that starts behind the driver's seat and goes to the back door; it's 1/2 the width adn about 2' off the floor. He sleeps on the platform and his bike(s) are in the other half. Under the platform he keeps stuff like water, clothes, snacks, etc in milk crates.

It's the perfect bike car. And you can get older cargo vans and minivans (except Hondas for pretty cheap).

mtbr member
    Of the two, I'd get the Ford and take out the back seat. You could put a bike or two back there I'd think, save you the money and trouble of adding a rack.

mtbr member
    I want a Ford Transit connect but I canít get one in my price range. The cheapest you can find them is 8k. I did go down the mini van rabbit hole and looked at a few. The problem is I need to spend more money to get a good one. Early 2000s and late 90s mini vans are crap. Every one I looked at was trashed inside or Iíd was a Chrysler and it burned oil.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Caliber is considered one of the poorer quality cars for longevity. If you go for it be prepared to replace the complete suspension including lower ball joints, struts, rear shocks and sway bar links and mounting blocks. And you'd still have a piece of junk.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    2 reasons really. 1 I have a hitch rack but Iím not hot on the idea of 15 to 20k of tools sitting in the bed of my truck at a trail head. And 2 it takes too long to empty the bed before and after a ride. My truck latterly is packed front to back and floor to rail and I have a cover for it to keep everything dry.
    Maybe a hard, lockable Tonneau cover?

It seems silly to buy a second vehicle just for mountain biking. It doesn't seem too silly though to transfer the vehicle into your business's name and buy yourself a daily driver. If you're afraid to leave your truck at a trailhead, I can't imagine how terrified you are to leave it in a Walmart parking lot.

mtbr member
    Really??
    Trucks can haul things, plus bikes. I don't take my tools out, my bike goes on a rack.

Way cheaper to buy a rack than a second vehicle.

I think you are being obtuse lol
    unserious question: have you ever been to a city? Have you ever heard of cities?

Stuff gets stolen out of vehicles. OP would be an idiot to leave his livelihood in a unattended truck parked at a trailhead (where people know it'll stay unattended for hours). One would have to be REALLY naive to not understand that.

All fat, all the time.
    I used to live in Indianapolis, and work near Gary. I had shit stolen.
    I moved. Problem solved.
    Life is too short to live in places you have to worry about 24-7.

Stuff can be stolen when it's parked at your house, hotel, stopped for lunch, picking up stuff at home Depot.

Rides all the bikes!
    As a former HVACR contactor...I get it.

I have had too much bad luck with Chrysler vehicles. I just don't trust them anymore. I get it when a 30 year old car is unreliable, but not cool when a 5 year old car FEELS like it's already 30!

I second the Escape. If you aren't shuttling friends, pull the seats out for more room. I drive a little Fiesta and pulled my rear seats out to carry more in the back (plus a rack). I don't know about the Escape, but I swear the Fiesta was designed from the factory for easy maintenance (it is European design). The Chrysler I had last it was recommended to pull the engine to change the timing belt every 60k, the Fiesta belt is a 1 hour job at 150k (haven't tried yet, spark plugs were 20 minutes)!

Which, after looking at how little I would get for my Fiesta on trade in...I'm keeping it much longer term. Just another cheap option. Nobody wants good gas mileage, small cars in America.

mtbr member
    I used to live in Indianapolis, and work near Gary. I had shit stolen.
    I moved. Problem solved.
    Life is too short to live in places you have to worry about 24-7.

Stuff can be stolen when it's parked at your house, hotel, stopped for lunch, picking up stuff at home Depot.

So you were just being obtuse when you pretended to not understand where OP was coming from? Your solution to OP's issue is that buying a second car is too expensive so he should move?

All fat, all the time.
    Wow you guys are blowing a simple question out of proportion.

Buy a used Honda Civic with good maintenance records. Cheap on gas and insurance and easy to fix it needed. Pickup a platform rack for the back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Yes they are my best options. I canít find anything Honda in this area thats not rusted out or really old or doesnít have a lot of miles on it.
    Could you do a fly and drive? Not sure where you live but maybe go down south to get a non-rusty car. Might not be an option but I have known some people to do it.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Benefit to an old cargo van is you would have a backup vehicle in case your work rig ever goes down. Keep the bikes out of view, and the cheap ones are always easy to re-sell if you need to. I've had a couple Chevy Expresses and always broke even or even made a little money on them when I dumped them.

mtbr member
    I'd get a Honda Element. You can put your entire bike in there...standing up.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Elements are hard to come by. When they came out nobody wanted one, and now that they don't make it anymore nobody wants to get rid of them .

since 4/10/2009
    Honestly, I know more people who have had shit stolen from their cars in their driveways or parked at work than at trailheads.

I do totally understand having a daily driver that's different from the work vehicle, though.

I've got an 07 Honda Fit with 90k on it currently that's a great daily driver and occasional mtb hauler. But I find that I could really use a pickup for mtb duties (especially the ones that require driving down rougher dirt roads in the mtns), pulling the teardrop camper (a 2nd tow vehicle, and probably primary tow vehicle), and doing the home maintenance thing. I've considered just replacing the Honda, but have also considered adding a used pickup so I could still keep the fuel efficient and reliable daily driver.

Shartacular Spectacular
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    You couldn't pay me to own a Dodge Caliber. What a POS.
    ^This and as unpopular as it may be, most other Chrysler models for that matter. I wish they'd prioritize reliability a bit higher because there are models I want to like....
    18í SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27 hoops, i9 hubs, Float X2

2018 SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9 hubs, DHX2

mtbr member
    Yes they are hard to come by used and when you do they are stupid expensive for an old car with lots of miles. The ups side of them is around here it looks like with the plastic panels on the wheel wells they donít rust out as much.

Update the so-called clean escape turned out to be a flood car. The seat rails were so rusted they were flacking off peaceís. So the hunt continues. As much as I want to like the dodge I just donít know if I can buy it.

mtbr member
    Not sure where you are, but I just looked on Craigslist for the LA area and I'm seeing several for around 4k. The mileage isn't crazy high either.

My ex had one. The seats fold sideways...and if you remove them...there is a ton of room. The floor of the car is vinyl instead of carpet...super easy to clean. She put well over 200k in four to five years.

The AWD one is tempting.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...891454060.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/an...887459220.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...882981490.html

mtbr member
    Not sure where you are, but I just looked on Craigslist for the LA area and I'm seeing several for around 4k. The mileage isn't crazy high either.

My ex had one. The seats fold sideways...and if you remove them...there is a ton of room. The floor of the car is vinyl instead of carpet...super easy to clean. She put well over 200k in four to five years.

The AWD one is tempting.

Thanks man but Iím on the other side of the country in central PA
    https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ct...891368428.html

Here is an example of what I usually see here but allot of the time the prices are closer to 10k

Cycologist
    Yes they are hard to come by used and when you do they are stupid expensive for an old car with lots of miles. The ups side of them is around here it looks like with the plastic panels on the wheel wells they donít rust out as much.

Update the so-called clean escape turned out to be a flood car. The seat rails were so rusted they were flacking off peaceís. So the hunt continues. As much as I want to like the dodge I just donít know if I can buy it.
    The Hondas are stupid expensive for an old car with lots of miles because they probably will go a lot more miles with little cost. But I know what you mean, we were looking for something for my daughter a few years ago and all the Hondas and Subarus I looked at for what we were looking to spend had really high mileage and pretty worn interiors. We actually ended up with a 2003 Infiniti I35 with very low miles.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    The Hondas are stupid expensive for an old car with lots of miles because they probably will go a lot more miles with little cost. But I know what you mean, we were looking for something for my daughter a few years ago and all the Hondas and Subarus I looked at for what we were looking to spend had really high mileage and pretty worn interiors. We actually ended up with a 2003 Infiniti I35 with very low miles.
    I would heavily disagree with you on that. Itís a total crap shoot with cars over 10 years old and 150+k on the clock. So much of a cars longevity is about how it was taken care of early in its life. Yea I can see a car lasting a long time trouble free if you got it new and took care of it. But when your probably the cars 3rd or 4th owner itís a total crap shoot. And I think allot of car brands like Honda and Toyota have totally over blown reputations. And I use to own a Tacoma.
    Last edited by pulser; 05-18-2019 at 09:02 AM.

jrm
    mtbr member
    What better reason for a road trip....

Cycologist
    I would heavily disagree with you on that. Itís a total crap shoot with cars over 10 years old and 150+k on the clock. So much of a cars longevity is about how it was taken care of early in its life. Yea I can see a car lasting a long time trouble free if you got it new and took care of it. But when your probably the cars 3rd or 4th owner itís a total crap shoot. And I think allot of car brands like Honda and Toyota have totally over blown reputations. And I use to own a Tacoma.
    Well, I've never bought a car with that many miles but a few over ten years old. The Infiniti had under 100,000 and all service records, it was owned by a lady who passed and then her daughter. I'm getting ready to sell my Subaru with 188,000 and the service records since I've owned it (had around 83,000 on it I believe), though I change my own oil and don't really have records for that. Maybe a bit overblown but the '90s Civic and Corolla I owned had almost zero maintenance needs up to the ~135,000 miles that I owned them, like one or two things. '04 Odyssey needed a few things but the transmission was going out when we got rid of it around 185,000. I'd still put Toyota and Honda up against a Ford and especially a Dodge. But yeah, over 150,000 will be a crap shoot regardless.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Rides all the bikes!

The AWD one is tempting.

Wow, I never even bothered looking at the prices for an Element. Puts that back on my list of options in the future. I am between buying an Econoline and keeping a high MPG vehicle, or something like this.

I have gone through many high mileage vehicles, rarely had issues. I do wonder if a part of it is the better conditions SoCal cars live in (rust is rare) and/or smog laws. If a car can't pass smog, it probably wasn't maintained. Oil burners won't pass. I would actually trust a higher mileage car that is newer, than the other way around. Example (I've witnessed it elsewhere), my 2012 has 140,000 miles and is totally reliable. My girlfriend has a car with the same powerplant, but about half the mileage and twice the age. It has had to have a lot of repairs from wear and tear (mostly electrical and wear items like the clutch). Low mileage tells me it sat a lot, or it was only used around town. Short trips are rougher on cars.

mtbr member
    Even ignoring reliability, the dodge caliber is a piece of shit. Its not enjoyable to even sit in, its just a nasty car.

The escapes are sort of a hidden gem imo. Especially the v6. They're not too bad on gas, all things considered. Its a joint car with mazda, and it shows. The problems they do have (coils and some sensors) are cheap and easy to fix. I've worked on a million of them (along with the mazda tribute version, same thing), they're good small suv's. Also, their driving dynamics are great. Its not loose or clunky.

Also, these days reliability and passing smog (especially passing smog) IS a total crapshoot. If the RADIO in my car goes out, it fails smog. Its sort of a pass-through communication module and without it, it fails smog. Theres no maintenance for that. Older cars have less sensors and monitored items, but from this point on, cars are going to essentially be trash on the used market. From a budget-minded consumer standpoint, its a really bad thing. Some of these 2019 cars are going to massively exceed their value in the repairs needed down the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Even ignoring reliability, the dodge caliber is a piece of shit. Its not enjoyable to even sit in, its just a nasty car.

The escapes are sort of a hidden gem imo. Especially the v6. They're not too bad on gas, all things considered. Its a joint car with mazda, and it shows. The problems they do have (coils and some sensors) are cheap and easy to fix. I've worked on a million of them (along with the mazda tribute version, same thing), they're good small suv's. Also, their driving dynamics are great. Its not loose or clunky.

Also, these days reliability and passing smog (especially passing smog) IS a total crapshoot. If the RADIO in my car goes out, it fails smog. Its sort of a pass-through communication module and without it, it fails smog. Theres no maintenance for that. Older cars have less sensors and monitored items, but from this point on, cars are going to essentially be trash on the used market. From a budget-minded consumer standpoint, its a really bad thing. Some of these 2019 cars are going to massively exceed their value in the repairs needed down the road.
    Thanks thats good to know about the escape. I have never asked a mechanic about them. I have driven 2 and one defiantly had front end issues. The problem here is finding one thats not rusted out. Every one I can afford has the rear fenders rusted and behind the passenger door. Im really afraid of the ones with the plastic body cladding because there is no way to tell if the bottom of the door has holes in it.

Flat Pluto Society
    Cheep cars are for chicks.
    Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just get a Ford Focus hatch. They are dirt cheap, get good gas mileage, and are very reliable. Just make sure you get a 5 speed manual one since the DCT "auto" is a huge POS and pretty much every complaint you hear about a focus involves the DCT. As an added bonus the 2.0l uses a timing chain. Biased since I have a 13 as my daily.

My mtn bike car though is a 95 mazda miata well most of the time. Get a miata .

mtbr member
    If your stuck on getting cheap and reliable you can do a lot worse than getting a Ford/Lincoln Crown Victoria/towncar. Easy/cheap to work on and have huge amounts of space. Plus, most importantly, it has a cheap American V8 that can make decent sounds.
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As stated above, Dodge cailber/Jeep Patriot/Jeep Compass (same cars different body) aren't the most durable, but they are easy to fix if you're handy with a wrench.

Wife has a 2008 Jeep Patriot, we've replaced a leaky trans line, corroded wiring on the drivers side kick panel, front a arms/ball joints, alternator pulley. Aside from that I'd consider it a good car now at 110k especially at the price we bought at new.

That being said, it's no Toyota.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    88 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

Hail Satin!
    Either look for the cheapest mini van you can find (and the base, base, base vans go for under $1500) Or just buy he cheapest Crown Victoria you can find. Take the trunk lid off (and leave it off) and make something to hold bikes like a normal truck.
    Just remember to drill a few drain holes in the floor.
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.