Buying 1UP Parts vs Complete Rack to get Roof/Hitch Rack in One- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2017

New question here. Buying 1UP Parts vs Complete Rack to get Roof/Hitch Rack in One

It is time to invest in a new hitch rack and 1UP is the front runner. My Saris is 8+ years old and showing its age and weight. This could also replace my very old Yakima roof trays. I'm looking for something that maximizes the functionality of my investment.

We mainly use the rack on the 2in hitch on my 4Runner and some times we need a roof rack (but not all the time). We have both road and mountain bikes (26in, 27.5+ lite, and 29). We normally carry 2-3 bikes, but may need 4 bikes if a friend joins us. I park on the street and often remove the rack for security concerns (hitch rack only).

What is attracting me to 1UP is the roof trays can work with both roof and hitch mounting. This means that if you order items in the correct order, you can get two racks for the cost of one. Mind you its still a pricy rack, but not having to buy a hitch rack and roof trays will save money in the long run.

From what I can tell in the 1UP photos, the roof trays will mount to the two holes in the mounting plate on the hitch chassis. Those holes are normally used to mount/pivot the hitch chassis specific trays. The only down side I see is you can't 'fold' the roof trays. This is not important to me.

Roof Rack specs from the 1UP site:
    Product Description
    Single tray carrier
    Roof Rack weight 14 lb.
    Total carrying capacity of up to 50 lb.
    Fits 1629 wheels, up to 3.1 wide (see spacer kit for tires wider than 3.1)*
    Accommodates up to 54 wheelbase
    Standard clamps will accommodate up to 4.75-wide crossbars
    Flush mount option is for Thule, Yakima, Whispbars, or Rhino crossbars with a top t-slot mounting rail
    Rack arms close to secure tires without touching the frame
    Easy fold down with the lowest profile of any roof-tray system, 2.5 tall
    Easily converts to Hitch-Mounted Rack or Add-On (see replacement parts)
    Shipping weight 16 lb.
    Box dimensions 3.5 x 7.5 x 57
    All roof tray parts anodized, except a powder-coat finish on the trays
    Has anyone done this?
    Did all the hardware come with the various parts?
    Is there a forum discount code?

Here are the parts I'm looking at getting:

QTY Item Cost
    1 2 Double Hitch Assembly
    https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-...itch-assembly/
    $275
    2 Add-On Frame
    https://www.1up-usa.com/product/add-on-frame/
    $150
    4 Roof Rack
    https://www.1up-usa.com/product/roof-rack/
    $756
    Total $1,181

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    Has anyone done this?
    Did all the hardware come with the various parts?
    Is there a forum discount code?

Here are the parts I'm looking at getting:

QTY Item Cost
    1 2 Double Hitch Assembly
    https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-...itch-assembly/
    $275
    2 Add-On Frame
    https://www.1up-usa.com/product/add-on-frame/
    $150
    4 Roof Rack
    https://www.1up-usa.com/product/roof-rack/
    $756
    Total $1,181
    I just got off the phone with 1UP. They were super helpful and knowledgable about their products. I would have been worried if they weren't.

They confirmed that all of their replacement parts include all required hardware. There is no need to purchase other assemblies or nut/bolt packs. For example: the 2 Double Hitch Assembly contains all the parts to install and secure the rack to the hitch of a car. It also comes with the bolts to mount the roof trays to the hitch assembly.

They also confirmed that roof trays were designed to 'converted' into hitch racks by using the parts in the 'replacement part' sections. She outline that they often have customers looking to so exactly what I outlined and use the trays in both locations.

I asked about any discounts for rack orders or possibly upgrades to a black rack. They said they normally don't offer anything like that because their volumes are pretty high. Sometimes they will do off season discounts, but even that is rear.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the customer service and will be ordering the setup. Once I get the order finalized I'll place a parts list.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I ordered the below parts list on Friday night (2018/3/31). I got confirmation of the order ship Monday morning (2018/4/2) The order should be delivered by FedEx on Thursday (2018/4/5). That is an amazing turn around time

While it doesn't not appear cheap, in the big picture its a really good value.

With one purchase I'm getting:
    • A 4 bike hitch rack
    • A 4 bike roof rack
    • A mixed two vehicle application (1 roof / 1 hitch)
    • A rack that is future-proofed against changing axle, wheel and tire sizes.

A rack with similar features from any other manufacture would require the purchase of detected roof trays and hitch rack.

Product Quantity Price
    Roof Rack
    Color: Silver
    Bolt Size: 1.5"
    2 $378.00
    Roof Rack
    Bolt Size: 1"
    2 $378.00
    2 Double Hitch Assembly
    1 $275.00

Add-On Frame
    2 $150.00

Sub-Total $1,181.00
    Shipping Free Shipping
    Total $1,181.00

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the super helpful post! Im looking at buying a couple of 1up roof racks for similar reasons. How easy is it to convert between the roof tray and the hitch add on? Im looking at using the two roof trays most of the time but then using the 4 bike hitch setup for longer trips (and when we get a car with a 2 hitch). Is it a 5 min job to convert or is it more involved than that?

Also any feedback on how easy it is to load the bike on the roof tray? My wife is 5 and sometimes struggles with our Thule sidearm

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by stevelim View Post
    Thanks for the super helpful post! Im looking at buying a couple of 1up roof racks for similar reasons. How easy is it to convert between the roof tray and the hitch add on? Im looking at using the two roof trays most of the time but then using the 4 bike hitch setup for longer trips (and when we get a car with a 2 hitch). Is it a 5 min job to convert or is it more involved than that?

Also any feedback on how easy it is to load the bike on the roof tray? My wife is 5 and sometimes struggles with our Thule sidearm
    I have yet to swap between the hitch racks and the roof rack. We both have a 4Runner with a hitch rack. When I was assembling the hitch assembly, it took maybe a few minutes to put the tray on. I would assume it would be faster with more practice. the biggest pain in the butt was just making sure that the tray was centered on the hitch assembly. I was a little anal about giving them perfectly centered.

As for loading the bike on the roof, it depends on your bike and your car. I could not imagine putting a 30 lb mountain bike on the roof of my 4Runner. I'm 6-2 and that is a task I would not want to do.

My friend has a 1up rack on the cap of his Tacoma and puts his mountain bike up there all the time. He is about 6 foot and his bike weighs around 25 lb. Personally, I think it's comical watching take it off the roof.

In contrast, I met a woman with a Volvo station wagon and 4 1up racks on her roof. She had no problems loading the bikes on the roof of that car. I think she was between 5-4 and 5-6.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk