Bunch of questions re roof rack on 2010 Speed3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Bunch of questions re roof rack on 2010 Speed3

I am thinking of getting a roof rack and a couple of bike carriers for my 2010 Mazdaspeed 3, the car has fixed mounting points built into the roof. I was thinking of the roof rack because I would still like access to my hatch and its contents when I have bikes with me. I would also like the carriers to NOT require the removal of the front wheel of the bike.

1. Thule or Yakima and why?

2. Are carriers and racks/crossbars compatible across brands? IE: Thule carrier on a Yakima crossbar or vice versa? Thule or Yakima lock cores in the others component? What about OEM option carriers?

3. My friend has a Nissan carrier, would it work with either brand of crossbar mentioned above?

4. Any idea if I will have clearance issues with the spoiler on the hatch when open and bikes on the roof? I have a large 29er and it looks like the carriers that leave the front wheel on seem to be longer.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm sure I will come up with a few more questions, so please bear with me.

-Bryce

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    One expensive option would be to get a hitch and a 1up rack, they look awesome. Benefits is you get to keep your great mileage and low noise, won't interfere with hatch, they fold out of they way

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by Si[xXx]er View Post
    I am thinking of getting a roof rack and a couple of bike carriers for my 2010 Mazdaspeed 3, the car has fixed mounting points built into the roof. I was thinking of the roof rack because I would still like access to my hatch and its contents when I have bikes with me. I would also like the carriers to NOT require the removal of the front wheel of the bike.

2. Are carriers and racks/crossbars compatible across brands? IE: Thule carrier on a Yakima crossbar or vice versa? Thule or Yakima lock cores in the others component? What about OEM option carriers?

3. My friend has a Nissan carrier, would it work with either brand of crossbar mentioned above?

4. Any idea if I will have clearance issues with the spoiler on the hatch when open and bikes on the roof? I have a large 29er and it looks like the carriers that leave the front wheel on seem to be longer.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm sure I will come up with a few more questions, so please bear with me.

-Bryce
    You should seriously consider getting a hitch rack. Better MPG, less chance of damaging your car, no chance of driving into a low overhang (garage). I've used both extensively, and I much prefer the hitch, which is what I ended up with on my MS3.

More info here and here.

-D

code: mtbr2011
    1. Personally, i would choose Thule. they do a better job of utilizing the fixed points with the 460/460R Podium systems. yakima landing pad 11 is big and bulky. Thule aeroBlade crossbars are really good, quiet and fuel efficient.

2. depending on the carriers, some are cross-platform. most (not all) bike mounts will work either thule square or yakima round...aeroblade crossbars utilize a t-channel on top of the crossbar. locks are NOT compatible between the 2.

if you're referrring to a cargo box, then most likely (98%) it will work on any type of crossbar, regardless of thule/yakima or factory oem bars. the nissan box is probably a yakima or thule box just rebranded with their name. check your buddy's keys. if the key has a number printed on it that starts with the letter N, then it's Thule...if it starts with the letter A, it's a yakima.

-Bryce

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was looking at roof racks because it seems a lot of the hitch receivers don't seem to like to work well, or even fit at all, with the second gen exhaust system on the Speed 3's. Diesel, what year is your Speed 3 and which hitch do you have?

Thanks for the input so far guys, if anyone else has anything to add, please feel free.

-Bryce

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    As an owner of a 2010, I can say that a hitch will work just fine, but I also think the 3s look nice with a roof rack. If you ride pretty frequently, I would choose a roof rack over the hitch (nothing like having $500 in rack and $3000 in bike sticking out waiting for some a-hole driver to hit).

Of course, I do use a hitch rack (the 3 is the wife's car in our house)... when I replace my car (which will likely be a MS3 or CX-5 diesel), I will move my rack to the roof.
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Knight511, do you have a speed 3 or regular 3 hatch? Which hitch setup do you have?

-Bryce

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Scott, I have another question if you don't mind. Do you know if any/all of the bike carriers that allow you to leave the front wheel on, will clear the spoiler on the Speed 3's hatch when it is open and a bike is on top? I really don't want to have to worry about clearance at the back of the car.

-Bryce

this is why i like the thule sidearm....this rack has 16" of the bike tray extending out over the front crossbar, leaving less behind the rear crossbar to interfere with the rear door...that leaves 38" of bike tray behind the front crossbar(measured from center of front crossbar).

Scott, I have another question if you don't mind. Do you know if any/all of the bike carriers that allow you to leave the front wheel on, will clear the spoiler on the Speed 3's hatch when it is open and a bike is on top? I really don't want to have to worry about clearance at the back of the car.

-Bryce

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey Scott, I have one more question if you don't mind, some people have told me that the Thule Aero Bars, (not the areo blade bars, the regular aero ones), don't work with many carriers, even other Thule carriers, I must admit I find this hard to believe and I couldn't find anything on the Thule site that would support this, but is this actually the case? They were suggesting I get the regular square load bars instead.

I don't have anything else at this time to carry with the rack, but part of the appeal of a roof rack is the flexibility it offers moving forward to potentially carry other large items or use other specialized carriers with the same base rack system.

Is this something I should be concerned with?

-Bryce

Hey Scott, I have one more question if you don't mind, some people have told me that the Thule Aero Bars, (not the areo blade bars, the regular aero ones), don't work with many carriers, even other Thule carriers, I must admit I find this hard to believe and I couldn't find anything on the Thule site that would support this, but is this actually the case? They were suggesting I get the regular square load bars instead.

I don't have anything else at this time to carry with the rack, but part of the appeal of a roof rack is the flexibility it offers moving forward to potentially carry other large items or use other specialized carriers with the same base rack system.

Is this something I should be concerned with?

-Bryce
    this doesn't really make sense. the aeroblade and aero bars are going to function the same way...which is different than the rectangular steel bars. yes, some accessories will wrap around the steel bars to attach, while the same accessory will use an adapter kit to attach into the t-channel inside the aero bar/aeroblade bars.

cargo boxes will work on any type of crossbar, so that's not a big deal at all.