Build your own hitch rack??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Build your own hitch rack??

I am thinking about building my own hitch rack for my Blazer. I am considering buying a fork mount/blockhead that I can bolt onto a tray I want to make, which will plug into the drop hitch. Anyone ever done this? Could you post some pics if you have?
    What to use to secure the back tire?

Also, I am considering buying a basket rack from Walmart that plugs into your hitch for about $50.00. I guess I could just bolt the fork mount straight to it as well. That might even allow for two bikes if you put them front to back.
    Any ideas or pics of your home made racks are welcome. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    If you do this (and I like the simplicity by the way) make sure you have a way to secure the tail end of the bike. A bungee cord (just a suggestion) will keep it from hopping around and damaging your forks.

mtbr member
    No pics but I made a rack like that when I owned a Jeep wrangler. I used a "hitch hauler" cargo rack like this http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...31&hasJS=true: and attached fork mounts to either end.

I also attached front wheel holders in between where the bikes would sit so I could carry everything. I used toe straps to secure the rear tires and never had any problems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That's the exact rack I was thinking about using to build it and pretty much the same general idea. I may try something different to secure the rear tire....some sort of bungee or velcro or clamp with wingnut contraption. Thanks for the info.

Members who have read this thread: 0