BRZ! Will bike fit inside?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

BRZ! Will bike fit inside?

Looking at the Subaru BRZ. Anyone seen one? Will a bike fit inside - rear seats folded down and both wheels off the bike?

Or better yet know of a trailer hitch that might be available - I know it's really to early for that.

Really want that car but it needs to haul my bike.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I doubt it, but maybe. I think it's gonna be about Miata-size
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Elitest thrill junkie
    Doubt it, I looked at a few other cars recently, nissan 370Z and corvette, they are nearly impossible to fit a bike into, not that I'd want to in a car like that. I was looking more along the lines of having some decent storage for a few bags. These cars are extremely limited as far as that is concerned, I'd imagine the BRZ is the same way. It's bigger than a Miata for sure, but not by much. The rear wheels/axle and the sloping roofline give you an idea of the space back there, but I'd imgaine it's almost nil. A few people have fit bikes inside the 370, but it's tight and not all bikes will fit. You're screwing up the interior anyways when you cram a bike in such a car. Inevitably it will get messed up.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It is halfway between a miata and a genesis coupe. Word is you can fit a set of four tires in it, so maybe a bike will fit.

Where are you located? The Subaru dealer i work for will have one from SoA for people to sit in, for a few days at the end of this month.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nynomad View Post
    Will a bike fit inside - rear seats folded down and both wheels off the bike?
    Rear seats? are you sure you are talking about the right car? If it has rear seats, consider me in the market...

Slow
    Jan 2011
    The BRZ is supposedly very wide. The 4 track tire capability means you have a shot at fitting with both wheels off and the seatpost out.

A trailer hitch will definitely be available. The autocross and track guys are going to snap up the BRZ/FT86 like crazy and they all want to tow tire trailers even if 4 R compounds fit inside.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My buddy works for the local subaru dealer and hes supposed to let me know when they get the first BRZ in. Ill be sure to take my bike and see if they'll let me test fit or at least measure.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    My buddy works for the local subaru dealer and hes supposed to let me know when they get the first BRZ in. Ill be sure to take my bike and see if they'll let me test fit or at least measure.
    That would be great!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    only 6000 BRZ's are coming to North America......approx 2-3 per dealer !!
    I pre ordered a Black M6 few months ago from my local dealership, should be a fun DD

:::::......

" I Love My Bike "

mtbr member
    It would probably fit inside the genesis.. which is the same car, only better, nicer, and faster

Slow
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride2Suffer View Post
    only 6000 BRZ's are coming to North America......approx 2-3 per dealer !!
    Maybe not. If Subaru won't deliver, Toyota will. I predict lots of early adopters will pay thousands over sticker only to be disappointed 3 months later as supply increases. Thetruthaboutcars posted an article about the allegedly limited supply a couple days ago.

I would love one in 3 years after the original owners pay for depreciation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouchNJ View Post
    Maybe not. If Subaru won't deliver, Toyota will. I predict lots of early adopters will pay thousands over sticker only to be disappointed 3 months later as supply increases. Thetruthaboutcars posted an article about the allegedly limited supply a couple days ago.

I would love one in 3 years after the original owners pay for depreciation.
    So far every dealer I have spoken with it's MSRP no mark up.

1st on list - WRB 6sp Limited - MSRP.

Won't be selling mine in three years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I work at a Subaru dealer and we got the first BRZ accessory brochures a few weeks ago, I'll check and see if it shows a trailer hitch or not

Slow
    Jan 2011
    I'll amend my markup comment from above. I re-read a review from someone who builds track cars and supplies a variety of very nice go-fast hardware for said track cars (real suspension, not "lowering kits" or "coil overs"). After spending a day crawling all over one, he said the dealer was selling for MSRP but was automatically tacking on all sorts of crap including $1000 paint protection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post
    i work at a subaru dealer and we got the first brz accessory brochures a few weeks ago, i'll check and see if it shows a trailer hitch or not
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i'll amend my comment from above, it is a four seater for sure... sorry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    As a subaru salesperson i can say that there likely wont be an OEM hitch. Otherwise we would have them for Legacy and Impreza. Curt or Hidden Hitch or whoever will surely fill that need.

If anyone is near Philadelphia, my dealer will have one to sit in on March 28, PM me for details.

If you want in on a 2012, almost all will be presold- try to get your order in at your dealer. Delivery will be staggered from May to November.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I bet if you are devoted, it will fit. I ONLY say this because a friend of mine had an RX8 and would put his FSR inside the car to go ride... wheels off and a little magic.
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    " I Love My Bike "

Slow
    Jan 2011
    You can fit an XXL 29er in there.

It looks like Subaru is planning on producing up to 100,000 units per year, according to autoblog.com. I bet the typical 30 to 50% will come to the US so I don't think there will be any significant shortage to justify dealer markups. The big question... When will they announce the turbo version?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouchNJ View Post
    You can fit an XXL 29er in there.

It looks like Subaru is planning on producing up to 100,000 units per year, according to autoblog.com. I bet the typical 30 to 50% will come to the US so I don't think there will be any significant shortage to justify dealer markups. The big question... When will they announce the turbo version?
    Doubtedly ever. There was conversation of this on a local performance car forum im on. Basically to make the car handle like they wanted Subaru placed the engine very low and far back into the car in order to give it a low center of gravity. In doing this the engine is damned near sitting on the engine cradle. The lack of room for turbos would make even a single turbo version a technical nightmare. I would bet if you see anything it would be a twin screw supercharger version. Which TRD has a hard on for. And being a shared platform I wouldnt be suprised if the BRz STi would get the s/c treatment as well. Which IMO, would be just dandy.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey thanks for the pics. I was there that day they were measuring (so was I)
    The problem spot is the pass through height is only 12" .

Doesnt look good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    RetroGrouch did you mean 100,000 BRZ's??? I think not.

I see someone beat me to the measurement pics, lol. It just showed up at our dealer today:

I was going to stuff the 19" Trek Marlin we have in the showroom into it and take pics. I know without doing that that it will fit if you take off the wheels. If anyone is still interested I can do it later tonight when we get slow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    From that angle it looks like a Lotus

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post

I see someone beat me to the measurement pics, lol. It just showed up at our dealer today:

I was going to stuff the 19" Trek Marlin we have in the showroom into it and take pics. I know without doing that that it will fit if you take off the wheels. If anyone is still interested I can do it later tonight when we get slow.
    WOW the car looks great. It's the 12" high pass thru part that has me wondering.

PUT THE BIKE IN! please...

thecentralscrutinizer
    Waiting for a turbo model...

Get a seasucker rack and stop worrying about it...lol
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

Slow
    Jan 2011

Fuji wants to build 100,000 cars a year. That includes the Toyota/Scion badged clones.

"The president of Subaru parent Fuji Heavy Industries says the company wants to build 100,000 copies a year of the BRZ and twin Toyota FT-86/Scion FR-S sports cars, after early orders suggest demand was far greater than expected."

autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/gm-ceo-payday-volvo-passes-jeremy-lin-subaru-131326081.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Wanting to and actually doing it are two different things. They can barely keep up with Imprezas and Foresters, so adding another 100,000 out of the same factory, assuming Ota Gunma, is wacky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    From that angle it looks like a Lotus
    Clearly.

Maybe if you squint.

Real hard.

Wait for me!
    RWD with no turbo? No thanks, I'd much rather have a WRX.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    After looking at the one that the dealership I work at got in I will have to say that I'll pass on this car for sure. Like mentioned above, RWD with no turbo = not as fun as this car could be.

And as far as the bike in the back, you might as well just let the back seat folded down because there is no way anyone over age 6 is fitting in that backseat anyway!! hahaha.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Go for the hitch mount bike rack when the hitch becomes available.

With that lift kit, it looks like there will be plenty of clearance to get to most trail heads...slideways.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    "RWD w/ no turbo" = precisely why I love it. It has plenty of power to have fun. It's not about the power, it's about the finesse and litheness. If you want power, you get the WRX.

Interesting how every second comment about the Miata isn't "sucks because it's not a turbo" yet those do rather well for themselves.

Plus, last I checked 200hp in a 2,700 lb car wasn't exactly a lacking of power. I should point out that's slightly better HP/lb than a WRX

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Someone was able to put in a bike with only front wheel removed, but seemed like have to be very careful because of small trunk opening

Sup
    "RWD w/ no turbo" = precisely why I love it. It has plenty of power to have fun. It's not about the power, it's about the finesse and litheness. If you want power, you get the WRX.

Interesting how every second comment about the Miata isn't "sucks because it's not a turbo" yet those do rather well for themselves.

Plus, last I checked 200hp in a 2,700 lb car wasn't exactly a lacking of power. I should point out that's slightly better HP/lb than a WRX
    3208/265=12.1 lbs per HP

2700/200=13.5 lbs per HP

um your wrong

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Buy a dodge charger. It's a roomy sedan and rear wheel drive as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    3208/265=12.1 lbs per HP

2700/200=13.5 lbs per HP

um your wrong

Sj
    lol I did it backwards. Oh well. It doesn't matter. They are two entirely different cars and if anything, the BRZ is a far better execution of what it is supposed to be than the 2012 WRX. My only complaint is it would have been better off as a 2 seater than a 2+2.

Apples and oranges.

And then someone mentioned a Dodge Charger, which is like apples, oranges, and a pumpkin.

For what it's worth, there is a turbo mule running around Cherry Hill HQ. Or so sayeth my tech friend who took a class there.

Sup
    I have a wrx hatch and a family so I am partial
    did see the scion version of the brz today and it looked like a cool car
    just not as good in 6 inches of snow is my guess
    cool car for a sing guy but not going to get my fat bike to the trails

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ^ indeed. Your WRX is the better way to go for you, by far lol. I need something even bigger than a WRX. When I look at the BRZ's it's with "ok I'll have you like 15 years from now when you're $7,000" thoughts.

mtbr member
    I just got done playing with a friend's BRZ in the parking lot. You're not going to transport a bike inside easily. As others have said, the trunk opening is narrow and the height under the rear bulkhead is low. Also, you need to scoot the front seats up pretty far to let the rear seatbacks fold all the way down.

As far as a hitch goes, the Japanese style low brake/reverse lights would be in the way.

I would get a roof rack.

Sports cars look cool with roof racks. Even underpowered rear wheel drive ones with no turbos.

mtbr member
    In total size, the BRZ is about 2.5" wider and slightly under 9" longer than a miata

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    BZR is a BIG disappointment. Rear seats are useless. Not very attractive in person. Some very weird angles. Looks like it was designed by a committee........front quarter just under the lights should come straight down, sort of sticks out like buck teeth. The one I drove does not like to rev...NO low end torque. Buy a 3-4 year old Boxter for the same money!

Hi.
    It looks cool, and that's all it has going for it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It looks cool,
    Look again, it does not even have that going for it...

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    Look again, it does not even have that going for it...
    Truth. I retract my previous statement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    BZR is a BIG disappointment. Rear seats are useless. Not very attractive in person. Some very weird angles. Looks like it was designed by a committee........front quarter just under the lights should come straight down, sort of sticks out like buck teeth. The one I drove does not like to rev...NO low end torque. Buy a 3-4 year old Boxter for the same money!
    You expected a useable back seat in a car that size??

And of COURSE there's no low end torque. That was never an expectation from the beginning. That aside, if you wanted to get all geeky about it, being that Toyota wanted their version to be an homage to the AE86, that engine was a revver too, not torquey at all.

You guys are all welcome to your own opinions, but much like the Miata, you can't judge the car just by looking at a spec sheet. The beauty is how it all comes together when it's being thrashed. The car is not designed to please everyone, which is why many of you aren't into it. But those who get it, get it.

As far as looks, for a Subaru, it's almost TOO good looking

mtbr member
    The original 4age motor was a major turd. I dont know why toyota would intentionally want to pay homage by making the new motor a turd too.

The Toyota BEAMS 2.0L made 200hp, and it did have torque. It was quite drivable and fun as well, and it was made in 97 or 98. I expected 15 years of development would have resulted in a engine with even more torque at the same power. The engine is a disappointment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The original 4age motor was a major turd. I dont know why toyota would intentionally want to pay homage by making the new motor a turd too.

The Toyota BEAMS 2.0L made 200hp, and it did have torque. It was quite drivable and fun as well, and it was made in 97 or 98. I expected 15 years of development would have resulted in a engine with even more torque at the same power. The engine is a disappointment.
    This isn't a Toyota engine. True the engine is a disappointment compared to the previous gen Subie engines in terms of power.

Hi.
    You guys are all welcome to your own opinions, but much like the Miata, you can't judge the car just by looking at a spec sheet.
    The Miata is sh!t too. Both are completely worthless cars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Them is fighting words. I love my 95 miata. Did some engine damage though at the last autox event bouncing it off the rev limiter so much with 165k miles on it probably wasn't a great idea. In the middle of swapping in my back up engine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You expected a useable back seat in a car that size??
    Then why bother with it. 8 inches shorter and a hundred pounds lighter would make a huge difference!
    Now the new CRX is a nice looking car! Why couldn't Toyoda have just copied that?
    Just like the Pontiac Solstice was beautiful, but a real POS...if Mazda had just copies that car...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    LOL ok, whatever. This is where I bow out of this conversation

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    HAHA Now, you know that you and I get along...

But I am gonna go on a limb and assume you haven't ever driven a Miata.

Not the prettiest, not the fastest, but the Miata is a true driver's car. My mom has a supercharged 99 Miata and I promise I could scare the craft beer right out of you in that thing.

That said, I have mixed feelings on the BRZ. I get the Scion version. But the BRZ just doesn't seem like something Subaru would/should do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Subaru was only an only-AWD manfacturer in the U.S. since the 90's, when a marketing exec suggested it to them to help them differentiate themselves from the other Japanese companies. And it worked.

Subaru dealers in the south have been lobbying for 2WD models for the past few years, but I pray that doesn't come to fruition.

Having a low-production, RWD driver's car is not a bad thing, because it doesn't overlap with any other product offerings. We have one sitting on our showroom floor (automatic) and most core Outback/Forester-driving customers don't look twice at it. But what it does do is reinforce the sort of waning image of Subaru being an enthusiast brand.

Anyways, yes, a bike fits in the BRZ, that was determined a while ago. /thread :P

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Then why bother with it. 8 inches shorter and a hundred pounds lighter would make a huge difference!
    Now the new CRX is a nice looking car! Why couldn't Toyoda have just copied that?
    Just like the Pontiac Solstice was beautiful, but a real POS...if Mazda had just copies that car...
    I just wanted to clarify that you think the CR-Z is better looking than the BRZ. Because I that is what I got from this. Just checking.

This shows beauty is trying in the eye of the beholder

mtbr member
    Hmm. Let me guess, SUV fan? Or maybe racing = mashing the gas pedal guy?

Miata's are the most raced cars in the world. The Spec Miata series has some of the best and most competitive amateur racing available. The Miata is one of the best racing and autocross platforms ever developed. It's also one of the few cars that are a lot of fun to drive at 20mph let alone 100mph.

One of the best pure sports cars ever built. And I say that as a track day instructor with a high horsepower Porsche Carrera RSR race car.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    Them is fighting words. I love my 95 miata. Did some engine damage though at the last autox event bouncing it off the rev limiter so much with 165k miles on it probably wasn't a great idea. In the middle of swapping in my back up engine.
    LOL ok, whatever. This is where I bow out of this conversation
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    HAHA Now, you know that you and I get along...

But I am gonna go on a limb and assume you haven't ever driven a Miata.

Not the prettiest, not the fastest, but the Miata is a true driver's car. My mom has a supercharged 99 Miata and I promise I could scare the craft beer right out of you in that thing.

That said, I have mixed feelings on the BRZ. I get the Scion version. But the BRZ just doesn't seem like something Subaru would/should do.
    Quote Originally Posted by AirKuhl View Post
    Hmm. Let me guess, SUV fan? Or maybe racing = mashing the gas pedal guy?

Miata's are the most raced cars in the world. The Spec Miata series has some of the best and most competitive amateur racing available. The Miata is one of the best racing and autocross platforms ever developed. It's also one of the few cars that are a lot of fun to drive at 20mph let alone 100mph.

One of the best pure sports cars ever built. And I say that as a track day instructor with a high horsepower Porsche Carrera RSR race car.

Sorry all, I had a bunch of strong beer last night and got a little fiesty!

Miatas aren't crap, but I don't like their styling and I still prefer to drive a mid-engine MR2 (which I have in the garage) or a Boxter.

Sorry about the ridiculous outburst - I <3 Mazdas

mtbr member
    Of course a conversation about shoving things in a trunk brings out Miata fanboys.

When I think Miata:

When I think cheap convertible race car:

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ok, as there is a blue Lotus above, I am going to shamelessly re-post my pics from the sports car thread :-)

No turbo. No rear seats.
    200bhp
    approx 1100lbs (until you strap an Enduro on the back!)

Pure driving.

Anyway - some good reviews of the Toyota version:
    Driven: Toyota GT 86

The Toyota FT-86, GT-86, Scion FRS - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube

...sorry for the off-topic picture!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'd love to have a lotus elise but they still cost a bit more than the $2k I bought my miata for .

If you are going to post gay miata pics at least do it right

Members who have read this thread: 0