BMW X5 Options?- Mtbr.com

Thread: BMW X5 Options?

Mommy's Little Monster

BMW X5 Options?

I'm looking to pick up a 2002 BMW X5 for next to nothing. The only hangup is that I don't want to throw the bike in the back. Looking for anyone that has one of these SUV's with an aftermarket receiver hitch. Found one made by Hidden Hitch and of course there's no photos of it on the vehicle. Anyone got any pics of an X5 with the aftermarket hitch setup? Don't want to consider a roof rack. Already had one bad experience from that....totally my fault though.

mtbr member
    you might want to consider a different hitch, the problem with hidden hitches are exactly that...they are hidden under the car and on Euro cars with big plastic bumpers it's often a problem getting a bike hitch rack to fit because the tongue is too short and the rack hits the bumper before the two holes line up. Go for one that is flush with the bumper or just short and you should be able to use any hitch rack. Try a few BMW forums for better advice and photos

Mommy's Little Monster
    I hear ya on that. I have a Hidden Hitch on my Maxima at the moment and it's just like the name says.....barely visible. I've tried the Bimmer forums and X5 forums too. I'll just wait until someone responds there I guess. There's already a cutout in the rear valance for a stock hitch, but I don't want to overpay for the factory version when the aftermarket one may be just as good for it's intended purpose. Just don't want it to look bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You might want to think twice about going aftermarket due to the X5 being unibody; see the link below. I went the roof route because I didn't feel like paying BMW to install the hitch when I could do it myself. But the problem was I also didn't feel like going through the trouble; check out the intallation steps.

http://www.x5world.com/148951-post7.html
    http://www.x5world.com/articles/x5/m...tion-tips.html

Mommy's Little Monster
    Actually I ran across that 2nd link last night. And I also saw a photo of the aftermarket Hidden Hitch assembly and it doesn't look to be like the route I'd like to go. The way it mounts to the vehicle was a little questionable. The factory Holland/Westfalia setup looks like the way to go I think. The installation looks to be pretty straightforward too.

I doubt that I'd consider the roof route. Gas mileage is already bad enough. Besides I'm a little leary since I plowed my bike into the roof of my house once before. Yeah, that was a fun day....expensive mistake.

whatever she says gueuze.

Yeah I hear ya...

I bought a benz ML350 and it didn't come with a hitch. I looked online and ended up going to an aftermarket hitch place. These guys did a great job but it was costly ($420). Mercedes wanted $800 so to me, it was a deal. Sure beats putting your dirty bike inside your car though.

Dirt Huffer
    You sound like you're more worried about image.

Mommy's Little Monster
    Image? No, not really. Just didn't feel like overspending on a receiver hitch that's only going to be used for a rack. However the X5 has some beautiful lines that I didn't want to spoil with a gawdy chunk of metal hanging below the back bumper. But seriously, I have decided against buying the X5 as I really wanted something more Jeep like with 4WD low gearing and possibly getting an Arizona pinstripe or two. But thanks to all that responded.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am a BMW master technician I have installed alot of hitch's on the x5's. they are very solid and work great. I have never seen a hidden hitch on one. but i can say that the factory bolts to the chassis in about 8 places. i def would not recomend a roof rack like you said way to tall and a pain in the ass to put your bikes up there without that arm thing. I would say just go the dealer and have them install it. that way there you know it was done right. If they are a good dealer they should stick by the labor times that BMW recomends. We used to get 4 to 6 hours to install them but i think BMW recomends 2 hours that is what we have been getting which is a god deal for the customer.

SoCal Rider
    The X5 does not need to use the hitch for a bike rack. They have two small concealed anchor points that hold a BMW made bike rack. This set up is pretty sic and I almost bought this X5 when I saw her.

That's how I roll, Fast and out of control.

Mommy's Little Monster
    Black on black....on black......very nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i have an 07 with the same rack,very solid, but the straps suck for speed, but are very secure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emayaz
    I'm looking to pick up a 2002 BMW X5 for next to nothing. The only hangup is that I don't want to throw the bike in the back. Looking for anyone that has one of these SUV's with an aftermarket receiver hitch. Found one made by Hidden Hitch and of course there's no photos of it on the vehicle. Anyone got any pics of an X5 with the aftermarket hitch setup? Don't want to consider a roof rack. Already had one bad experience from that....totally my fault though.
    Late to the thread but here are my two cents. I also have an E53 X5 ('06 4.8is) and currently I'm using an OEM hitch to carry my bikes. Unless you're as tall as Shaq, hitch-mounted bike racks are the way to go. OEM hitch costs an arm and two legs and they're of superb quality but unless you tow, cheaper aftermarkets hitches are fine for carrying bikes.
    dirtmojo - toronto, canada.
    '06 scott genius rc10.
    '06 titus motolite.

Members who have read this thread: 0