Bikes inside.- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bikes inside.

Currently in Exile

Bikes inside.

I recently got a Chevy HHR to replace my Mercury Sable. The HHR gets better mileage than the Sable, and it has the ability to put two bikes inside. That is a big part of the reason that I purchased this car. That, and I like the retro look.

My bike hauling set up is pretty ghetto right now. What I think that I will do during the long cold dark winter months up here in ND is build a wooden copy of the storage shelf with slots cut out for the rear tires on the bikes. I will also work up some sort of fork mount to lock the front forks of the bikes down. Right now I am securing them by tying the frames to the loops in the C pillars that the seats hook into normally. Comments/ideas welcome as to how to haul the bikes inside of the vehicle.

I do like getting somewhere after a long drive and NOT having to scrape bugs off of the grips and brake levers
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Master of None
    That's pretty impressive for such a small(ish) car, looks good.

anyone else smell that?
    i cut and trimmed down a 2x6 to the shape of the space it was going in and used these bolted to it:

roughly $10 per at performance, i believe.

Mendoman
    I keep my bikes inside my Chrysler Town and Country and I just took a piece of plywood the width of the back of the T&C and about afoot wide and added three of the Performance Bike fork brackets,(about $10 each), staggered the center one back to make room for the handle bars and I can put three full size mountain bikes in the back.
    Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

Two wheels are best
    It looks close on the saddle/roof clearance. Do you have to lower the saddles or do they fit at your riding height?
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgsatl
    i cut and trimmed down a 2x6 to the shape of the space it was going in and used these bolted to it:

roughly $10 per at performance, i believe.
    I use these also, in the back of a Ford Escape Hybrid. Initially I had a clearance problem with the bike seat just barely touching the headliner. So what I did was bolt the fork clamp to the side of a 2x4, so that the fork ends are actually touching the floor. This is equally secure but gives you additional clearance by lowering the fork. Also, on a fork with adjustable travel like a Talas, reduce the travel to give yourself more clearance.

Currently in Exile
    In that photo, I don't have too. But I have since decided that it's easier to put the bikes in back tire first. That way I have less chance to bang the back bumper with the chain rings. I do have to remove the saddle to do it that way though. I am going to have to get those fork mounts though. It looks like they would go a long way towards making the bike more stable inside. I am using bungys right now.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Members who have read this thread: 0