Bike Storage and Safety during Car/Van Camping- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Bike Storage and Safety during Car/Van Camping

I've been seeing many terrific van setups including vans with built in platform beds for van camping and caravaning

May be a stupid question but where do folks store their bikes at night if they are sleeping in the van? Do they lock it to the bike rack? Or find a way to fit the bikes in the van at night? Sounds difficult unless you are sleeping by yourself.

I should be out riding
    I've been seeing those too, and making plans for one. Seems like most of the platform bed layouts are designed to have the bikes underneath the bed and inside while sleeping (for example Brian Lopes' Custom Sprinter Van - Pinkbike). Keeping bikes safe and sound inside is definitely one of my goals and a huge advantage I see in a van type vehicle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    I've been seeing those too, and making plans for one. Seems like most of the platform bed layouts are designed to have the bikes underneath the bed and inside while sleeping (for example Brian Lopes' Custom Sprinter Van - Pinkbike). Keeping bikes safe and sound inside is definitely one of my goals and a huge advantage I see in a van type vehicle.

dude thanks for sharing...looks awesome. That's a great setup for a sprinter van. I've considered the Ford Transit and the easy solution would to just bring a tent and sleep outside with the bike secured inside. Or vice versa and just lock the bike securely to the van.

If you are sleeping on your own, then I guess in the smaller vans you can have the bike on one side and sleep with the other.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It really depends on where I am camping. If I'm in the middle of the woods far from others I lock them up on the bike rack. If I'm in a densely populated area I bring the bikes inside. It really depends on the location and how safe I feel they will be outside on the rack.

I should be out riding
    If only one person, it wouldn't be difficult to have a narrower bunk along one side and room for a bike on the other. Sportsmobile even shows bunk bed options along one side which would allow the same. Multiple bikes complicate it. Nearly all the pics I've seen of platform beds have the bikes below using fork mounts with front wheels off. Lopes van looks like a really clean solution with the advantage of keeping the wheels on. I think it would work in a Transit too, certainly the high roof option. I'm looking at a medium roof transit and hoping the measurements work out to do storage similar to Lopes. The holy grail I'm after is bikes inside, without removing wheels, room for two to sleep, plus 80lb dog on the floor (and sink/stove, and storage).

try driving your car less
    I shove my bike under the van sometimes. Keeps it out of sight and out of any rain. I have cable locked to the van wheel before. Just don't forget it's there when you drive away!
    Only boring people get bored.