Bike racks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike racks

mtbr member

Bike racks

Not sure if I'm in the wrong forum with this but I could use some input on bike racks that are hitch mounted for my wife's SUV. I need one of the upright racks (not sure what the terminology is for those), and I can't bring myself to spend 500 or 600 Kuat racks. Looking used or chapter new, what do you guys recommend? I'd like something offered in a 2" hitch so there's less 'slop'. What are decent brands or models for two bike haulers I should check out, 300 bucks is pushing my budget as I was hoping to buy a nicer used one but will consider newts well.

I have never used one of the upright bike hitch mounted haulers so I appreciate any feedback and suggestions here. Both Of our MTB's will be sitting in the rack for a drive from Dallas to St. Louis so I'm worried about them staying put lol

Never Forget 9-11
    I've used a Yakima Holdup for several years. Been very happy with it. Easy in and out with the bikes and I've never been worried about one falling out. 2 bike model looks like it list on their site for $449 and there is an option to add an extension that will hold 2 more bikes.

Also heard great things about the 1Up rack.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

MEGALOMANIAC
    I don't think that you are going to find anything made of quality for less than $450 unless it's on sale (and that can happen). Yakima and Thule are to two big brands. Kuats are the next step up.

You don't want to buy a cheapo rack because it will fall apart and get loose and rattly fairly quickly.

These have become very popular in recent times:

1UPUSA.com Bicycle Racks
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Magically Delicious
    The 1UpUSA is a pleasure to look at. You need to see up close and personal to appreciate the construction and quality. These have my unanimous vote.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Your Best Friend
    Ask or search in the Car and Biker forum.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Check out the kuat transfer rack. We just got one and really like it. Shop around online for coupon codes and you can pick one up for around $250. We also picked up the lock kit that goes with it for about $30.

MEGALOMANIAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    The 1UpUSA is a pleasure to look at. You need to see up close and personal to appreciate the construction and quality. These have my unanimous vote.
    I heard from a friend that there is a concern using it if you have a flat tire, though. That's kind of a big deal.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^^^ Interesting...haven't heard that one.

MEGALOMANIAC
    ^^^^^ Interesting...haven't heard that one.
    Well, now that I think about it, any rack that holds a bike by clamping onto or down on the wheels as a means of stabilizing the bike in the rack is going to have issues if there is a flat tire.

Your Best Friend
    Yes, the 1 up will lose a tight grip if your tire happens to go flat. However due to the aluminum arms on both sides of the wheel, your bike will not fall out. It will begin to rattle and you'll hear it in the car.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I don't think that you are going to find anything made of quality for less than $450 unless it's on sale (and that can happen). Yakima and Thule are to two big brands. Kuats are the next step up.

You don't want to buy a cheapo rack because it will fall apart and get loose and rattly fairly quickly.

These have become very popular in recent times:

1UPUSA.com Bicycle Racks
    I agree, I'm unaminously voting as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna pile on also.

I've owned a 1UP rack for about 3 years now. It pretty much stays on the back of the Jeep year round, through NE winters and road salt, and no issues to speak of.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I bought Swagman XTC for 2 bike, been over 3 years with no issues. and I ride 3-4 times a week, drive 80mph no problem.
    I paid $190 back then from Amazon, now I think is around $150 or less. check out the review on amazon.
    not as fancy as Kuat or 1Up, but for the price, it works very well. it holds on frame, so I use spongy material to protect my carbon frame, no scratch so far.
    I like it that I can use masterlock to lock it, way more secure than cable lock. I only lock it when stopping by for food or something.
    tips: to put the bike on inside rack, just take off both frame holder, much easier that way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    If you go thrifty, you'll eventually upgrade, so what's really cheaper? Swagman followed by a Thule followed by a 1up? But I certainly get cash-flow.

Since you sound like you're in Dallas, you also probably don't need that weather durability that some of us do, so that's a consideration.

Anyway, I've always liked Rockymounts stuff and they just came out with a tray rack that you might want to consider. I have no first hand experience, but you might want to add it to your list. $520

RockyMounts SplitRail hitch rack review - Mtbr.com

RockyMounts SplitRail two bike platform hitch rack
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    New to the site,and looking for some help as well.
    Considering buying a 1 UP bike rack for 2 bikes for my 2010 Rav4.
    Hoping someone has one and can tell me if it will tilt all the way up when not in use and not hit the spare tire carrier.
    Appreciate some help.

mtbr member
    I don't own a Rav4, but a Jeep Wrangler with a 35" (aftermarket) tire on the spare carrier. I'm able to fold the (double) rack using 1Up's hitch extension.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    You can get a Swagman rack for well under $300.

A friend of mine got some cheap rack, I think it was Nashbar. For occasional use it is fine.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have a Swagman Semi 2.0 that can be bought for under $300. It holds the bikes by the tires, and I understand how it could be an issue if you have a flat. But why would you not fix the flat before mounting the bike. It folds down to allow access to the cargo area of an suv, and it folds flat against the vehicle when not in use. It comes with a locking cable and a hitch tightening locking pin as well. Been using this for about 3 years with no issues at all.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Agree, does not work at it's best if you have a flat tire. Still better than any rack you hang your bike from, any rack that includes plastic that will eventually break, or steel that will rust. Been using mine for years, on the back of my CRV and there was one time that a flat forced me to put the bike inside the car...but that's why I have the CRV in the first place.
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I was in the same boat but ended up going with a Kuat. I got the NV 2.0 but I was trying to find a cheaper 2" receiver rack. I ultimately decided that I probably shouldn't skimp on the rack when I have a 20k+ vehicle and a 4k bicycle though.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Even if you have a flat, can't you just tighten it down more?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Your Best Friend
    The point is, if you don't know you have a flat, aka a slow leak, your bike could very easily fall out

Magically Delicious
    Attach the low pressure tether prior to moving vehicle.