bike rack for wrangler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

bike rack for wrangler

i need a trailer hitch bike rack for jeep wrangler (2005)
    any suggestions?

mtbr member

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by fishercat
    i need a trailer hitch bike rack for jeep wrangler (2005)
    any suggestions?
    Whichever you get, don't forget to make sure it will secure any style frame (read: FS), even if your current bicycle(s) is(are) traditional frames. I borrowed my brother's jeep for a trip but my FS wouldn't fit on his carrier, I had to shove it in the back sans seats.

-pete

Adobo Lover
    Do a search and you'll find a pic of my rack on my jeep and other recommendations. Hookup, T2, and Saris version are the more popular ones at this time.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    I would stick with your idea of the hitch rack and not go for one that ataches to the spare tire or the spare tire mount, its just too much weight espeically with two bikes. had a yakima spare roc for a while but it was doing bad things to the backdoor. I put a 2" receiver hitch on and bought the saris Cycle on pro. I wouldnt bother with their locking cable, just use a regular bike lock cable. The only issue I have run into is that occationally if you have two bikes on there you have to lower or raise a seat to get it outta the way of the other bikes handlebar.

F.O.G.R.
    What size tires are you running?

I have 35's on my Jeep with a full size spare which makes clearing some of those hitch racks a challenge. There are extenders for the receiver that work well but they move the "moment arm" out which will decrease the racks advertised load capacity.

Scott
    Dude, you were really flying when I passed you ...

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    ive got 33s on the ground but still just a factory as the spare for now, gotta do something about that.
    but, I just measured and there is 18" between the back of the jeep to where the frame of the first bike sits. handlebars shouldnt be an issue, they should sit far enough to the side of the jeep that the tire wont be in the way. that is from a bolt on receiver. if you have one built into the bumper it should sit away from the jeep all that much further.
    see if one of the lbs have one in stock and ask them if you can give it a try. its defintely the best and most versital option, can deal with any size bike including lefty's and through axels since you dont have to take the wheel off

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i got a 4 bike holly wood on mine, becareful if your hitch is on the bumber though, i bent the bumper a bit. I have a 2 inch reciver

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by i_suck
    i got a 4 bike holly wood on mine, becareful if your hitch is on the bumber though, i bent the bumper a bit. I have a 2 inch reciver

You don't tow with that do you?

One thing to keep in mind on picking a rack for a jeep is....do you plan on wheeling with bikes on the back? If you do get one or make one that holds them up high enough to keep a decent approach angle. Don't ask how i know this is important .
    Looking for old 2 bend Answer Hyper Ends and mounting bracket/wire/sensor for a old Trek Sensor computer, heavy springs for 2000 magnum fork also. For Sale- black ano. grafton/topline mtb cranks....make offer.

Who is John Galt?
    Anyone using the racks that hold the bike vertical? They promise better approach angles for climbs though I don't plan on doing this with the bike attached. What about roof options? Is there a mount that would let me use my Yakima roof rack on the Jeep? 've got a lot of money invested in it, Cobra mounts x3.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm running 33 x 12.50's, including the spare. I had a "hitching post" style rack that worked fine for my hard tail, but didn't work with my new FS frame. I was really high on the "flat bed" style rack, so I did a good bit of research. My local Saris dealer had nothing in stock for me look at and the Yakima rack was way too short to clear the spare. I liked the Yakima the best, but they were adamant about NOT using an extension. I ended up with a Thule T2 and an 8" extension. Bike loading time has been cut dramatically and I'm now beating the chicks off the frame adapter I used to use.

Well, maybe not the last part.

If I was smart enough, I'd take a picture and post it for you to see. But I'm not.

Good luck...

Nice no rass
    31's on my Jeep and a T2. I love it, it fits any size HT or FS bike, folds out of the way when not in use and drops for access to the <cough> trunk area when the soft top is on. The only downside is approach angle if I go off road, but I don't do much of that with the bikes on so not a problem for me. Pricey, but worth every penny IMO.

Prior to buying the T2 and both FS rigs, I used a spare tire mount...even with light HT bikes and a 31" spare it sort of made the door twist & sag more than I cared to see. That and it beat the snot out of the bike's frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

I just installed this:

https://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Ima...6/43346-lg.jpg

After shipping, it came to $117. (Shipping to DE). I've used it a few times in the last 2 weeks and no complaints so far.
    Either you rode today, or you didn't.

Adobo Lover
    Had to swap my 2 inch hitch from my jeep(04) with the 29 inch tires to the jeep(02) with the standard 30's. Put the Yakima hookup on. The fit is tight but workable. Folded, I had to push a little bit to get the pin in. The tray sits up against the spare tire, I had to push a little to get the pin in. I didn't get the opportunity to throw a bike in the tray closer to the spare. I'm hoping it works!!!!
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

Members who have read this thread: 0