Bike rack that will also hold ski bikes?- Mtbr.com
    L1MEY

Bike rack that will also hold ski bikes?

This might be a bit of an oddball question, but I'm trying to figure out a rack solution that will fit both of our vehicles and will carry lots of different kinds of bikes. We currently have tray roof racks on both vehicles (Rockymounts Tie Rod) with adapters for through axles. This works for my bike, but my hubby's 29er doesn't fit on it very well as it has a longer wheelbase and the tray is a couple of inches too short with the adapter on it (we're making it work for now though). We are also planning getting fat bikes this year so these racks definitely won't work for them.

Then there's the ski bike. I don't think our ski rack is burly enough to support the weight of a bike and all the associated forces from wind as it's made of plastic and rubber. Right now I'm just putting the seats down in the back of the car and shoving it inside. This works alright for one small ski bike, but hubby is planning on getting one too, at which point we'll need a different solution. He wants a hitch mounted rack that we can transfer between vehicles, I don't want one of the old dangly style racks because I refuse to use those hinky top tube adapters on my Ibis.

I've been looking at both hitch mounted tray style racks and the Rockymounts Brass Knuckles. None of the manufacturers seem to put schematics on their websites though, so it's really hard to tell if the ski bikes would even fit in the tray. The 1up racks look like they have pretty wide trays that might fit a ski (the bike runs on snow blades with a tip width of 111mm), and the retaining arms could probably be made to work with a bit of ingenuity and bungee cords! If some kind person who both skis and bikes could try putting a ski in their rack tray and let me know what rack they have and whether they think it would work, I'd appreciate it

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Have you looked at Lolo Racks Lolo Racks the bikes are held vertically from the handlebars? They are also pretty customizable. I dont have any persnal experience with them but they look like an well built creative solution.

L1MEY
    That's pretty ingenious, I'll definitely look into them. Thanks Ben

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
    Have you looked at Lolo Racks Lolo Racks
    In that vein, look at Northshore too:
    North Shore Bike Racks
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

L1MEY
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    In that vein, look at Northshore too:
    North Shore Bike Racks
    Thanks J_Westy! That one actually looks much better for our needs than the Lolo rack as we only need to carry 2 bikes at a time