Bike Rack for Truck Bed?!?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

New question here. Bike Rack for Truck Bed?!?

Does anybody know of any good bike racks made to go in the back of a truck? I would like to stand the bikes upright and hold them securely.

I'm sure someone else out there hauls their bikes around in a truck...

mtbr member
    Sportworks Insta-Gator is the best truck bed rack out there--Don't need to take off the front tire, mounts in about 10 seconds, very secure.

mtbr member
    Do a search... you'll find dozens of suggestions.

Start here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ight=truck+bed

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Use a yakima bedhead or blockhead screwed to a 2x4, it's cheap and works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone56
    Does anybody know of any good bike racks made to go in the back of a truck? I would like to stand the bikes upright and hold them securely.

I was not too fond of drilling holes in the bed of my truck to mount bike racks,.......

Sooooo,.........

I measured the inside width of the bed, got two 2x6's (cut to bed width), got three "Thule" bike mounts, attached one "Thule" centered on the forward board, and two "Thule" equally spaced apart on the aft board.

This way I can haul three bikes with no problem. (one facing forward, two facing aft.)

The 2x6's are heavy enough and long enough to prevent any movement, the "Thule" mounts are secured to the boards, and NO HOLES in my truck bed.

I used 1/4" bolts, washers, and nuts, counter sunk from the bottom up, (drilling a 1/4" pilot hole, and used a 7/16" bit, 3/8 " deep to make the counter sink) securing the "Thule" mounts.

It's cheap and it works.

I am sure there are other ideas out there, but this is what I did for my hauling needs.

Hope this helps,...

Live Long,...Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBiker1978
    Sportworks Insta-Gator is the best truck bed rack out there--Don't need to take off the front tire, mounts in about 10 seconds, very secure.
    I agree. I wanted a rack that didn't require drilling holes in the truck bed. I started out with (and still own) a Yakima Beddy Joe. It's a good rack, but it requires that the front tire be removed and I was looking for something a little bit quicker to use. When I learned of the InstaGator, I purchased one and have not been disappointed.

The only downside of the InstaGator is that it probably won't work in short bed pickups. I have an F150 with a standard size bed (a little over 6 feet long) and a Pace Edwards roll top tonneau cover. The tonneau cover roll box takes up 10" or so of space at the front of the bed. In order to use the InstaGator, I have to angle my bike a bit in order to get it to fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I found this link while looking for the same thing. Haven't built it yet, but it seems pretty simple, cheap, and effective.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/bikerack/makerack.htm

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm not too keen on the idea of drilling any holes. I have an F150 with a roll cover, and want to be able to use it for other things if need be.

We would also never carry more than two bikes at a time.

Team Blindspot

Check these out

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone56

I got a friend who has been using them for about a year, they work real well.

http://www.recrac.com/bikeRack.html
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I use a delta stableloader. It cost about $70.00 and can also be used as a cargo bar. It goes in and out in a matter of seconds. It uses a screw attached to rubber pads to compress against the side of the bed. It comes with two hitches.
    The Graber Kool Rack works similar but uses hydraulics to provide the compression. Also costs about twice as much.
    The Insta-Gator is a bit expensive IMO.. Especially if you're hauling more than one bike.

I can easily attach three bikes to my bar. I've also added the optional wheel hitches so they don't bounce around in the bed.
    I won't be too old to ride until they bury me

Glad to Be Alive
    a buddy copied my trailer but uses it for his truck...whatcha do is buy some 2X6's and make a bok that fits snug from the wheel wells to the beginning of the bed of the truck (away from the tailgate)...then put some cross berms to hold the tire in place...he can put 4 DH bikes in this way

PM me and I will snap a picture for you of my trailer so you could copy it.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

MTBR Mafia
    strait thuggin rack...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All Mountain was so 2005

Glad to Be Alive
    you don't have to take off your tire with the rack we makethe rack we make
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Unrepentant Cowboy SOB

U don't need a rack!!!!!!!!

Hey man,

YOu can accomplish the same thing by simply using cargo straps. Simply stand bikes upright and strap down with straps wrapped around head tube and tire..or wherever.
    i.e. like people with motorcycles.
    No need to buy anything but cargo straps.

FOr short trips or whatever, merely stick front tire over tailgate..no need to strap - just like our sensible neighbors in canada.

With this method I can stick 8 bikes quite easily.. no need for messin around with removing tires or any other horsepucky.

Advantages...no drilling, no wasting space in the truck bed (a necessary thing if you actually use your truck), you can vary the arrangement of yo bikes to suit the load in the bed, extremely cheap ( about 6 - 10 dollars), and extremely secure.

Also..you can stick the bikes in whatever truck you;re using this way. Much easier to move straps from one vehicle to the other than moving a rack.

As a last advantage....straps allow a little play when driving in rugged terrain...mucho importante..once tacoed 2 front tires of bikes in a rack driving schoolhouse road north out of browning. Cured my desire for yuppie accoutrements
    "...it feels like.....times have changed."
    "Times maybe. Not me."

South Mountain Bulimic

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

If you have a tailgate on your 'truck'

(we call them ute's in australia)

you can't go past this method. you can cart $hitloads of bokes safely and easily. Photo is from this forum from memory.

Slower than you...
    I use a single 12" bungee & two shop rags. Place the bike against the bed rail, straddling the wheel well. Hook one end of the bungee into the stake pocket midships of the bed rail & take a couple loops around the down tube. Hook the other end of the bungee back ino the stake pocket. Wedge the shop rags between the bed rail and the bike's fork and seatstay & you're good to go.

tdh

mtbr member
    Same "thuggin" method but if you put the board at the tail gate end the bikes are easier to mount.

Glad to Be Alive
    make one of these......a box with slats the width of a tire to hold the tire. Use 2X6's so the wood has more of the tire to hold on to.

all you do is throw this box between the wheel well and the cab of the truck. then you put your bike(s) in the slats..........you need a strap or bungi cord to hold it in place
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-27-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Ridin' Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    strait thuggin rack...
    Hey CDUB,
    I'm making a rack like yours, my question is, did you just wedge those pieces that are on the sides in there? Does it keep it very sturdy? Also do the back tires ever want to move or sway back and forth?
    Thanks.