Bike rack on an RV- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bike rack on an RV

I want to take my bikes on a trip in my RV and was wondering if a regular 1UP USA rack will be okay in the receiver of the RV?

any need to raise the rack any?

Rollin 29s
    Is it a motor home or travel trailer? The three considerations are bumper weight rating if the hitch is mounted to the bumper, rack rating, as most specifically say they are not suitable for RVs, and clearance.

Most RV bumpers are not made to hold more than 150#, or handle the fatigue of a weight bouncing on the rear.

The bounce/ load/ fatigue on the rear overhang of an RV is much greater than a car, which is harder on the rack, receiver and bumper. I have welded bracing and plates from my RV bumper to the frame rails of the trailer, and also a heavy duty rack that the manufacturer approves for RV use.

I test a travel trailer bike clearance by mounting the bikes and using the tongue jack, raise up the tongue at least 1 foot higher than the ball on level ground.

You can also find a steep incline driveway from a level road and pull up the driveway, stopping before the rear tires of the RV or travel trailer axle meets the driveway to go back and visually check the distance from the hitch to the road.

My travel trailer bumper is mounted high enough to where there is never a clearance issue, so I mostly had to worry about the first two concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    it's this rack: https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-rack-single/
    with a 2nd platform for a 2nd bike.

My RV has a receiver for 2" devices and is definitely attached to the frame of the RV. I know there are more forces acting upon the rack and therefore the bikes attached to the racks. So I wasn't sure if the 1UP would be suitable for RV use. And was curious if it would need a riser get it up higher off the ground to avoid any chance of hitting the ground on uneven pavemen/hills?

Rollin 29s
    For the first question, it looks like you are good for up to two bikes.

https://www.1up-usa.com/faq/

The second depends on receiver height and rear overhang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No issues in 3 years with an old sport works and 4 bikes on a hitch rack with a 350# weight limit. Bike rack on an RV-img_2647.jpg

Bikesexual
    Not sure if helpful, but 1up doing it right again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWK3...em-uploademail
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65 View Post
    Most RV bumpers are not made to hold more than 150#, or handle the fatigue of a weight bouncing on the rear.

The bounce/ load/ fatigue on the rear overhang of an RV is much greater than a car, which is harder on the rack, receiver and bumper.
    Bingo.

1. The rack has to be able to handle this.
    2. The rv/camper has to be able to handle this.

If neither one is built for it, you run a major risk of dumping your bikes. I have lost count of the number of rv's I've seen over the years with bent bike racks, cargo platforms, and bumpers. You're spending (or have spent) a boatload of money on the rv itself. Spend a little bit extra to do bike hauling right.

I got a teardrop camper a couple years ago. The manufacturer could have put a hitch receiver on it, but was pretty clear about the fairly low load rating of it. It would have been nice to put a hitch rack back there. But my hitch rack is a Kuat NV (1.0 back then, but I have a 2.0 now). Not rated to be used back there, and I wasn't enthused to buy another, but then still have load rating concerns. So I scrapped that idea. I tried one of those receiver stacking extensions, but since my tow vehicle uses a pretty small drop to the tow ball, I just didn't have enough clearance to be totally comfortable with its use. So I moved to using a roof rack to carry bikes when I tow the camper. My Subaru already had crossbars, so I bought 1upUSA trays. My trailer has crossbars, too. So I can carry both bikes AND my canoe, between the two. I'll be purchasing a midsize pickup truck as my next vehicle (to go with the subie) and I will be getting a long bed and putting bikes in the back.