Bike rack recommendation please.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Bike rack recommendation please.

I have a 1.25Ē hitch on my HRV and need a 2 bike rack that will work for my Timberjack with 2.8Ē tires and my wifeís trek with road tires. Iíve been away from the bike scene for 15+ years and have sticker shock on the prices of racks. Would love to find a good used rack to save money but really want to find out best option. Please send recommendations. Thanks.

EDR
    Lot's of good options. Thule, One-up, Kuat, Yakima. Price get's a little out of hand as you've seen depending on features.

I picked up a Kuat Transfer 2 from Jenson using a 20% off coupon (they seem to offer every month). With coupon it was $240 free shipping. Still a lot but it's a pretty nice rack that is light (imo), sturdy, looks good and does not touch your frame ,plus it swings down out of the way of the trunk/hatch. I love it, use it several times a week so I feel it's well worth the price, which is half of some other racks. You go cheaper as well, but quality starts to suffer, or they rust, or whatever. Maybe look at CL.

If you are going to use it often then imo there are some key features that are a must.
    1) ability to tilt down or away from vehicle while the bikes are loaded.
    2) one that does not touch the frame of the bikes (held by the wheels instead).
    That's just my preference and I was willing to pay enough $$$ to get those features, YMMV.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    https://www.etrailer.com/Bike-Rack?g...iAAEgKSx_D_BwE

Have lots of options and some are cheap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Kuat Nv 2.0 should be at the top of your list. Or a Yakima Dr tray. both Can be adjusted so your bikes can't touch with the Dr tray being the easier of the two.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Do all these racks work with the small size receiver hitch? Thatís what the OP has. I have a Kuat NV 2.0 and I dont think it does.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Yes I do need the rack to work with 1.25Ē and not looking to spend $300-$500 for the rack. Is there a huge difference in say a $120 swagman? I just need it to hold the bikes safely and easy on and off. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I would check Craigslist and this site in classifieds. I am not familiar with Swagman.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yes they all have 1.25 sizes. If you ever plan on getting a carbon frame you don't want anything like some of the cherp ones that clamp on the from or use the hanging racks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I thought it's aready been years since the friends only let friends get a 1Up law was passed.

Why would you want anything that has steel that rusts? Why would you want a system that doesn't have every part available and is easy to fix? Why would you give up a system that expands, shrinks, and stores easily?

My observation is 1Up is overall wonderful and the Saris I believe is called Freedom is a great solution if you have a modest budget.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Definitely donít want a hanging rack. Looking at platform style but not sure what justifies the price difference between $120 and $500+ racks? Iím sure the quality and features would be better but all should transport bikes from point A to B I doubt I will ever have a carbon frame. Not that serious of a rider.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Actually the bike shop had a Saris freedom 2 for $250. The other store had a Yakima that started at $350 and up.

EDR
    I see people at the trailheads every weekend with those cheap swagman. looks like they work just fine to me but you'll be ridiculed by those by those who spend $500 on their bike rack. People sometimes need to justify their purchases to others for some reason. Get a cheap swagman if that's what you want. in a couple years you might decide to upgrade if you find yourself a more serious rider. In the meantime you can save $400 and still enjoy riding your bike once you get from point a to point b. Good luck man.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Looks like the 1up in 1.25Ē only has a 1 bike option so that is out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Yea Iíll try to avoid those folks on the trail! As long as the rack transports my bikes safely and securely Iím happy. I donít need to spend $500 for the same result. Iím sure they are nice and have nice features but just need basic transport to and from the trails. Probably use it 1-2 times per week in good weather. Hopefully more.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by GSR007 View Post
    Yea Iíll try to avoid those folks on the trail! As long as the rack transports my bikes safely and securely Iím happy. I donít need to spend $500 for the same result. Iím sure they are nice and have nice features but just need basic transport to and from the trails. Probably use it 1-2 times per week in good weather. Hopefully more.
    That does not happen! Only in the internet is where people ridicule others. I've used from a Walmart "lord help my bike" rack, and a tray rack that held the bike by the frame. Now with a 1up.

Here is the deal, if you ride often enough its a one time investment to get a solid rack. One that's easy to use, maintain, and carry your bikes safely.

Yes, 1up FTW. Unless I crash or it gets stolen, I won't have to change the rack for years to come.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Looks like the 1up in 1.25Ē only has a 1 bike option so that is out.
    This is made to work with the one-bike add-on, so you have a 2 bike rack. What I like about that is when I have just the single installed and I am not using it, it folds up against the bumper and does not block the rear hatch.

My experience with the 1UP is that it is a really good design with a build quality a big step above anything else out there.

The only downside is that it is something of a PITA if you have a full coverage fender in the rear.... especially if you go between bikes that do and do not have such a fender.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I see people at the trailheads every weekend with those cheap swagman. looks like they work just fine to me but you'll be ridiculed by those by those who spend $500 on their bike rack. People sometimes need to justify their purchases to others for some reason. Get a cheap swagman if that's what you want. in a couple years you might decide to upgrade if you find yourself a more serious rider. In the meantime you can save $400 and still enjoy riding your bike once you get from point a to point b. Good luck man.
    Why would you care one way or the other if I have a Kuat NV 2.0 on the back on my vehicle? I donít care what others use, and I have never heard anyone make fun of someoneís rack, or bike for that matter. Do you feel the same way about people with nice bikes?

aka bOb
    I would also look at the Rockymounts Monorail. Good rack for the price and my bikes always made it to the trailhead just fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    The rockmounts lists for $400 so gonna pass. I think Iíll close this thread before it gets out of control. Thanks for everyoneís recommendations.

aka bOb
    The rockmounts lists for $400 so gonna pass. I think Iíll close this thread before it gets out of control. Thanks for everyoneís recommendations.
    You can usually get them for around $250 at least that's what I paid.
    I do see they are going for more but it's definitely not worth over $300.

edit: Sorry not seeing them on sale right now, big pass.

Co Springs
    Your needs and expectations around price probably put you in something like this;

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...an/S64650.html

Some racks are noisy, more heavy and solid, possibly better for bike or hitch security too but you pay for all that. Hitting a price point for something no frills is a fine objective.

I set out for a good solid rack and one I'd seen a friend using, also wanted a 4 placer so I ended up with a Yakima 4 timer that can be used as 2 bikes carrier or 4. At 20% off it was still over $400 but it's what I wanted and expected.

Good luck (and) *This shouldn't be too hard because good choices at sub $200 are going to be just a few or less than a half dozen as my prediction.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    the swagman is fine. nowhere near as nice as a 1up but it'll work.

mtbr member
    Kuat Transfer is 20% off on Moosejaw right now: https://www.moosejaw.com/product/kua...rrier_10291776

It fits a 1.25" hitch and the clamps don't touch the frame. My family has a four carrier NV 2.0 as well as the Transfer and the Transfer works just fine and doesn't feel cheap at all.

GASing
    I can't say enough good things about 1upUSA. Its solid, compact, stable and extremely well built. I often enjoy the drive through the mountain twisties almost as much as the ride, and I'm very confident in this rack cornering hard, or at high highway speeds.Goes on or off in about 15 seconds. I like that it sits closer to the car. Tips down easily to get into the hatch. It even looks great. You can nest up to four. I put a second one on sometimes. A bit more pricey but well worth it IMO.
    Bike rack recommendation please.-v8lceunlqbkuvlore7e-aw.jpgBike rack recommendation please.-4ug%25svwdreeyt7tusy5s4w.jpg