Bike rack for Lexus- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bike rack for Lexus

Hello all... I didn't have to worry about transporting my mtb before, as I lived very near where I rode, but since moving, I need to transport the bikes and I am clueless.

I am hesitant on a trunk rack as I will be carrying 3 bike at some points... So that leaves me hitch rack and roof racks. I'm not liking either option, lol.. Hitch rack? It might end up more pricey between installing a hitch and a decent bike rack (that I can still access the trunk).

I've seen some cars on here with roof rackracks. I certainly don't want to ride around all week with the roof rack on the car. Do they just come off during the week and you can snap back on in the weekends?

Any suggestions on brands or ?? to get me started on my research?
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

code: mtbr2011
    what year and model is your Lexus?

mtbr member
    It's an IS250
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

mtbr member
    I have Thule racks and Thule 591 bike carrier. Do the job very well!

The bike carrier takes about a minute to install onto the racks or to remove from racks. The racks take about 2-3 to install or remove. However, they attach to the factory roof rails on the car (Mazda 6). Your car won't have these obviously, so you will need a different mount/foot style. They do make a Rapid System, just check their web site to see if they have one for your car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike rack for Lexus-p1070476-3-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just a bump to see if anyone has a roof rack or ? on their Lexus. I'm wondering how it mounts when there's no rain gutter...

Any recommendations? A good hitch rack and installing the hitch is almost $400-$500... Hoping a roof rack will be less.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alexplantman View Post
    Just a bump to see if anyone has a roof rack or ? on their Lexus. I'm wondering how it mounts when there's no rain gutter...

Any recommendations? A good hitch rack and installing the hitch is almost $400-$500... Hoping a roof rack will be less.
    True in that a roof rack will probably cost less but it's no comparison to me - hitch rack = much more convenient.
    I decided to go with the hitch rack for my Forester (partly because of the height of the vehicle which you don't have to deal with) but I'm so happy with the hitch setup that I'm going to buy a hitch for my Lexus LS430 so when the wife and I go on trips in the Lex I can bring the bikes. I bought the Forester hitch for $112 on Amazon and installed it myself - it was easy to install.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

it's going to cost that much anyway whether you get a hitch or roof rack

go to Thule's website and Yakima's website and you can download and view instructions for installation

I'd rather be on my bike
    I debated this with my Audi. Hitch, install, and then a rack vs. a roof rack + all the stuff since I have nothing. It came out to be about the same, and that is with me buying a second hitch rack due to not liking the first one. Still came out to be about the same. I already don't get that great of gas mileage, so adding bikes up there to cause more drag really wasn't appealing. Hitch was the way to go for me, and I am so glad that I did it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I bought a roof rack. Three months later, I sold the roof rack and installed a hitch and went with a hitch rack.
    The roof rack had 4 strikes against it: 1--- not great looking 2---It is a pain to lift the bikes that high 3---extra drag and wind noise. 4---I couldn't open my sunroof

You probably don't want to take a roof rack on and off. It takes a while to install. You might take the bike trays off but I don't know anybody who uses their roof rack regularly who takes the landing pads and crossbars off.

The price for a Yakima rack on my bare roof was around $400. Then I had to purchase two bike trays for $180 each.

My hitch was $120 and I bought a sportrack 2ez for $160. That was the total cost for me to haul 2 bikes. I can quickly remove the hitch rack and the hitch is not that visible on my car. It is stable and the bikes load in 30 seconds.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I want to add a very subjective opinion.... I think that some cars look better with roof racks than others. Cars like Subarus, VWs, Volvos marketed to the outdoor sports crowd tend to look at home with a roof rack. Crossovers, SUVs and wagons of all makes also tend to look good with a rack. I don't think racks look good on luxury cars like a Lexus.
    Just my opinion, I'm sure some people think they look good on every car and others don't like them on any car.

mtbr member
    I would go roof rack... simply because if you need to get something out of the back you don't wanna be having to take the hitch rack out...

I'd rather be on my bike
    I can open my trunk all the way with the rack on, and with 2 large bikes on there. I know that not all vehicles are able to do that, but it is a huge advantage over a roof rack. I also don't feel like lifting full suspension bikes onto the roof of a clean car, that are absolutely filthy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by n8swag View Post
    I would go roof rack... simply because if you need to get something out of the back you don't wanna be having to take the hitch rack out...
    they do make hanging hitch racks that swing out of the way
    or
    platform racks that tilt down
    so you can access the trunk

mtbr member
    Well I went with a hitch rack and the Yakima foldable 4 bike rack.. Only carrying 3 bikes thought... Will post pic once installed..

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by n8swag View Post
    That hasn't really been true for years. All modern hitch racks tilt down or something similar.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Hello all... I didn't have to worry about transporting my mtb before, as I lived very near where I rode, but since moving, I need to transport the bikes and I am clueless.

I am hesitant on a trunk rack as I will be carrying 3 bike at some points... So that leaves me hitch rack and roof racks. I'm not liking either option, lol.. Hitch rack? It might end up more pricey between installing a hitch and a decent bike rack (that I can still access the trunk).

I've seen some cars on here with roof rackracks. I certainly don't want to ride around all week with the roof rack on the car. Do they just come off during the week and you can snap back on in the weekends?

Any suggestions on brands or ?? to get me started on my research?
    Have you looked into SeaSucker?

Members who have read this thread: 1