Bike rack help? Tough situation- Mtbr.com

Mar 2010

Bike rack help? Tough situation

Im going to be buying a bolt on roof rack and 2 bike racks to go along with it. Problem is I have a very small roof since its a 2 door. I really want a fork mounted rack for the stability because I usually tend to take corners a bit too fast. Also the bike will look much smaller on my small car compared to having the front wheel on. The main problem is I won't be able to open the hatch fully if the racks are set back to far. In fact almost not at all if i use the racks ive been looking at. I thought I could just slide them up but then realized all the fork mounted racks have the fork mount right behind the front crossbar. Since my roof is so small I need to to be a good 8 inches in front of the front crossbar. Any help here? anyone know of some odd racks that are adjustable or something somehow? thanks guys
    heres some pics to help
    heres a guy with the same car as me with a roof rack. with the rack he has it cant be moved forward. but as far as I know there arent any that do that. also see how it overhangs by the hatch. I know that hatch doesnt near open all the way
    [/
    heres my car

slow
    Mount it backwards. I have my bikes backwards on my car and it keeps the bugs of the fork stanchions, brake levers, and grips.

Mar 2010
    that would mean the the racks would be overhanging the windshield 2 feet. im sorry but that would be ugly not to mention a total distraction driving

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Put a hitch on it! What year Nissan is that, and is the 240 considered a Sentra or some other model?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hatchbacks are good to toss the bike in the trunk. My friend's Celica was able to fit 3 bikes with the rear seats folded.

btw, I used to have a fastback as well. I fit at least 1 bike in the comfortably.

maybe you can cut the steel trays up to the point where the back tires are strapped on, that way you can get a little bit more clearence for the hatch... maybe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798
    Put a hitch on it! What year Nissan is that, and is the 240 considered a Sentra or some other model?
    The 240SX is an S13-based car. It's RWD. American-based S13s got the KA24DE truck engine. The 240SX in America is basically a rebadged Nissan Silvia (Nissan 180SX RPS13 for the hatchback like the one in this thread). The chassis are pretty much the same, but tailored for American tastes.

The 200SX "Sentra" coupe has almost nothing to do with the RWD Silvia platforms (S13/S14/S15). It's a FWD Sentra coupe with a badge that is reminiscent to those 240s.

I hate to break it to you, but you will pretty much need to mount it backwards. Yes, it look stupid, but it's better than having a hatch that might get damaged. Or maybe you're better off just putting your bike inside the trunk since moving it far forward isn't an option...

slow
    I had a friend that put a painted, drilled block of wood between the rear rail and the wheel tray. He used a longer bolt to go from the tray through the wood to the bar clamp. This raised the rear of the tray up for more clearance.

code: mtbr2011
    use the thule 400xt with the 477 short roofline adapter and fit kit 92, and you can get a bar spread of 26" which will look at least a little more symmetrical and be more balanced than a 13" bar spread without using the short roofline adapter.
    If you use the Yakima Q tower rack system, you'll get an 18" bar spread, which is the system that is on the red 240 in the top photo....both nice cars by the way

the bike trays are likely to hit the glass, if you mount them inboard of the tower on both systems.

THE SOLUTION: purchase your rack system with a 58" crossbar, you will end up cutting the excess bar off later.
    mount your bikes on the outboard side of the tower, so that they are on the outside of the vehicle, and they will be set out wider than the back hatch. Once you have about 4" of excess bar on each side of the rack, hack off the rest with a hacksaw.

choose the right bike rack if you get a yakima base rack system, get a yakima copperhead or yakima viper fork mount......don't get the yakima steelhead under any circumstance. it is not secure when mounted outboard, and is on the very fast track to being discontinued.

if you go with a thule rack system, the best value is the thule peleton....

or...you could go for some style and color and get a great rack in the meantime with a rocky mounts pitchfork!

you can p.m. me if you have questions or need help putting together your system...either way you slice it, it will be cooler and more funtional than the red 240!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mar 2010
    AWDFreak is dead on. I wouldnt have gotten a 240sx if it was anything like a sentra. I love my car. and even though its not super fast its much like designed like a sports car and drives like one too. Anyway thanks for all the help guys. I guess I'll just have to throw my bike in the trunk. I was working on all custom fiberglass audio stuff for the trunk but im selling that stuff anyway. Thanks guys, I'll stick check out some of the options you guys mentioned

ballbuster

Just a thought....

Quote Originally Posted by S13importuner7
    AWDFreak is dead on. I wouldnt have gotten a 240sx if it was anything like a sentra. I love my car. and even though its not super fast its much like designed like a sports car and drives like one too. Anyway thanks for all the help guys. I guess I'll just have to throw my bike in the trunk. I was working on all custom fiberglass audio stuff for the trunk but im selling that stuff anyway. Thanks guys, I'll stick check out some of the options you guys mentioned
    ... hitch rack?

Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... hitch rack?
    that would probably be my last option.
    1. i dont have a hitch, it wouldnt be cheap to buy one and by a hitch rack on top of that
    2. i go for looks and function, i could care less about easy accesability
    thanks for the opinion though. i just dont think it would work out for me. Plus those hitch racks arent very sturdy. I would never slide around a corner with my bike on one of those. like i said ill probably just end up throwing it in the trunk. i really wanted to be able to carry a friends bike too but i see a rack isnt going to look good or function right, plus its more money.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Buy an old beater pickup to haul you bikes around in. Your car doesn't look like it would mix well with trailhead parking anyway(at least not the trailheads around here).

Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mudlover71
    Buy an old beater pickup to haul you bikes around in. Your car doesn't look like it would mix well with trailhead parking anyway(at least not the trailheads around here).
    im 16. ha, i have enough money into this car. im a broke highschooler. cars going lower soon, so yea i park in real parking lots

slow
    Take another look at cracksandracks.com solution to your issue. It is a good idea that should work well. The wheel trays will look like the ones on the red car, but will be far enough apart that your rear hatch will come up between them. I have mounted bike racks on the outside of my towers numerous times. The only thing to watch out for is smacking your head getting in or out, but you and your passengers will learn quickly to watch for the bars.

wawe member
    1. i dont have a hitch, it wouldnt be cheap to buy one and by a hitch rack on top of that
    thanks for the opinion though. i just dont think it would work out for me. Plus those hitch racks arent very sturdy. I would never slide around a corner with my bike on one of those. like i said ill probably just end up throwing it in the trunk. i really wanted to be able to carry a friends bike too but i see a rack isnt going to look good or function right, plus its more money.
    I had an old RX-7 back when I was a broke high schooler, only option for me was a trunk (hatch) mount. They're fairly cheap, removed when not in use, adaptable to many vehicles and work well enough. Just drive like a normal person to and from the trailhead.

Couple of points about hitch racks though:

1. A good roof rack setup for 2 bikes is not cheap either, easily $6-700+ if looks are important. It's less than $200 to get a receiver for your car, add a T2 for $360, total of $560.

2. Roof racks are a pain to take on and off, so they ugly up your car all the time as well as hurting aerodynamics. You also want the roof freshly washed before every install to prevent damaging the paint. Hitch rack is removed with one bolt and can be used on any vehicle with a receiver, such as a friends car or your next car. Dirty or clean doesn't matter. As far as being sturdy, the hitch is attached to the frame/body of the vehicle at a point designed to handle 1,500 pounds of trailer yanking it around, would you subject your roof rack to that?

Chronic 1st-timer
    My A6 Quattro wagon:
    hitch = $129 & installed myself
    rack = $40 Swagman 3-bike carrier (EZ to unhook & pop in the trunkal area/garage when I ain't hauling bikes)
    As for a roof system, I've priced 'em out around $400-$800 when it's all said & done.

Car still looks 'dope', 'crimp' (or whatever kids say these days), since you can quickly - 45 sec - unhook the rack & you're back to your original lines.
    Once the bikes are attached properly, you can get all Fast & Furious w/no worries about losing your ride.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Any hitch or trunk/hatch mounts are out of the question for anybody that knows anything about good looks. The wheels would stick out left and right, that is a car style no no.

Maybe this?

http://www.cracksandracks.com/yakima...ier-p-277.html

It would work really well if you can get clips to mount the rear bar on to the hatch

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqfob
    I guess if you're still into chicks who wear braces and headgear you might think that's a good look. Do you wear suspenders and a belt too?

code: mtbr2011
    the boa won't work on this....minimum bar spread to use the boa is 32" and you'll never get it on this car.

the stretch kit isn't the prettiest thing out there...that's for sure, but it works and if it means you leave your bike at home and don't ride cause you're afraid people will make fun of your rig..................

mtbr member
    Seasucker?

Suction cups that attach on the roof/window or even a trunk style. Might be just the ticket if you want a roof style rack that is easily removable, plus you could set the cups right on the back glass and not worry about opening issues with rails.

http://www.seasucker.com/landing_sep09/automotive.html

Members who have read this thread: 0