Bike Rack Dilemma- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Bike Rack Dilemma

So we had our first ride last night since our car accident in January, and it was freaking awesome. Rode through some mud too which was fun, albeit very dirty. Made it 5 miles with no ill effects. My neck is a little tight today from looking up, but that happened before the wreck, so good stuff there.

HOWEVER, when we got back to the car we realized that, although the bikes fit great inside the car, putting muddy bikes in a car sucks. We have a 2003 Subaru Forester and a 2006 Subaru Outback Limited.

Fortunately I had a sheet in there, but it still sucked.

SO, Jennifer (my wife) said she would rather have a rack, which I agree whole-heartedly with. This would keep us from putting dirty bikes in the car, but more importantly, allow us to take bikes on long trips (bikes take up entire cargo area of car eliminating possibility of bringing dogs/luggage/camping gear/etc... if we also have bikes.

So I am thinking. Both Subarus have the same roof rack. I could get the rack for both bikes with locks for about $180 with the Thule 515 Prologue Pack. That rack would fit both cars and solve all of these problems.

OR... for about three times as much (What a deal! Not. ) I could install hitches on both cars (I wanted to do this eventually anyways) and get a hitch rack that would fit both cars. This would allow us to not only solve the current issues with the bikes and these cars, but would also allow us to take our kayaks on the roof racks. So if we go camping/long trip, we can take 2 kayaks, 2 bikes, dogs, gear etc... on either car.

So... $180 to let us use bikes on both cars and have dogs and gear inside.

OR... about $520 to let us use bikes on both cars, kayaks on both cars, have dogs and gear inside, and tow a small trailer should we decide we need/want to.

Another option would be to simply install a hitch on one car now, and do the hitch on the other car later for a total of $370 now, and then $150 later. Since the Forester is more of our activity vehicle, this would be ideal most of the time. However, for long trip like to our place on Beech mountain, I would rather take the Outback since it is a little more comfortable, better mileage, newer, etc...

I really want the hitch racks since they have SO much more utility, are more sturdy, and I don't have to worry about clipping them by driving under low branches/drive thru's/etc... I just don't know if I want to drop that much coin. The extra $370 would just allow us to take the kayaks with the bikes, and maybe haul a small john boat trailer or small moving trailer later.

Thoughts?

Keep in mind we are saving for a trip to Europe this summer, so the extra money is greatly appreciated now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    OK, due to recent developments we are now at around $420 vs. $180.

(Turns out I have a connection at Curt that I didn't know about).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hadn't thought about ease of loading. Hitch seems WAY easier to load.

code: mtbr2011
    prologue pack is ok....but there is better.
    i think the yakima forklift is a better rack all around if you like fork mounting the bikes.
    not tools to take it on and off if you move it from car to car, and it's got a much better skewer, in my opinion.
    a little bit more expensive, yes, but all around better rack than the prologue pack.
    the prologue pack uses the ride on adapter, which not only raises the bikes up a bit, but it makes them further towards the inside of the vehicle to mount.
    it also adds in an extra component, which takes simplicity out.
    just my opinion....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I appreciate the input on this. FWIW I am looking at your site to purchase whatever I go with.

Although if the wife gives me the go ahead I am strongly leaning towards the hitch rack. Quieter, stronger, safer, easier to load, more versatility, better MPG, etc... make it far more appealing to me.

Especially if I am now looking at $420 vs. $250. That all but makes it a done deal

code: mtbr2011
    thank you....
    let us know if you have any ??'s. the hitch is a great place to carry, and you can get a 2" receiver for both of those vehicles, which i recommend....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    A platform hitch mount is a beautiful thing. I know for me personally I am driving down the road already before I would be done fooling with taking off wheels and such. Plus you still have to put that muddy wheel somewhere.
    An since I have daughters and a FS bike myself the fork mounts just didnt seem like a real option for me. I watch people driving with them and it just looks like a tangled up mess back there. I have a Swagmann XTC2 and I am very happy with it for the price. Though it is not the strongest rack out there, the Saris Cycle-On looks to be, it seems to do its job well and is very easy to remove and install plus store.

Members who have read this thread: 0