Bike Rack Dilemma- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bike Rack Dilemma

I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK with a 33x12.50 spare. Currently use a Quadratec hanging rack/hitch Quadratec 4 Bike Folding Bike Rack & 2" Receiver Hitch for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec. The hitch is rated at 200 lb. tongue rate. I would like to get a platform rack but would need at least 12 1/4" clearance in the closed position due to my spare. I can't find one that would accomplish that. I really don't want to add a hitch extension. etrailer.com said they wouldn't recommend an extension because it cuts the tongue in half and between the rack and a couple of bikes, it would not be recommended. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Bike Rack Dilemma-img_1579.jpgBike Rack Dilemma-img_1582.jpgBike Rack Dilemma-img_1577.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    This is what I do. The hitch does stick out when using the extender. When I am going somewhere alone I take it out and use the rear tray only.
    You could get away with using it without the extender but would have to remove the inside pedal of the inside bike as to not hit the spare rim.
    No matter what you use the bikes will hang out a fair amount. Our next trip I am going to buy a light bar from Amazon for driving at night. It will plug into the trailer wiring and attach to the rear of the rack.
    If your hitch is rated for 200lbs tongue weight I can't see you having a problem with any rack. My rack and even 2 dh bikes would be under 150lbs. I know the extender is leverage but my trailer has a lot on leverage also.
    If you continue to use a spare tire mounted rack then I would consider a spare mount hinge reinforcement for your tailgate. Quadratec sells them under the tactic brand.
    The only other thing is whatever rack you use make sure you can open your tailgate all the way when the rack is folded down. My 1up is very close.

mtbr member
    I am not using a spare tire mounted rack. The 1UP is more than I wanted to spend. According to etrailer.com, adding a hitch extender cuts the tongue weight in half so I am not keen on that. Nice setup you have though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Try these guys...

iSi Advanced 4x4 Bicycle Carrier and Bike Rack Systems

I have one of their 4 bike racks which is about the same length as their extended 2 bike... It is very solid even with 4 bikes on, and one of them is my wifes steel Huffy Beach Cruiser (It's an absolute tank... But a very pretty tank )

They also do an extended 4 bike specifically for trucks with rear spares which means you wouldn't need a hitch extender even with 4 bikes...

Very nice rack specifically engineered for 4 wheeling... good departure angle as well...

Can't recommend them strongly enough...
    Last edited by TheJesusfreak; 04-25-2016 at 04:50 AM.

mtbr member
    So someone on a Wrangler forum recommended this Raxter Tarsus EL Hitch Mount Car Bike Rack as it didn't need an extension and would fit my situation. Now, for the difference in price would it make sense to do the Raxter one or just stick with a 7" extension and this http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-.../dp/B001DMJPLO. Basically it would run me $200 more when all is said and done for the Raxter ($380 plus $40 shipping vs. $175.13 no shipping and a $50 extension).

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I originally had a Yakima Hold up. I wanted a rack that didn't touch the frame so I spent what I thought was some serious money. Now granted that I drive like a jackass most of the time. I had the reoccurring symptom of the rack tilting down on gravel roads and the final straw was when we had a bike become 1/2 detached while on holidays.
    The point is I don't know if you are going to get $200 more in value with the Raxter. And the $380 plus $40 is getting up there.
    I would buy the cheaper one and If you want down the road get a 1up. And if the swagman works good then it will be a real deal.

mtbr member
    I use an extender with my xport 2bike platform rack all the time. No rating issues with two fairly heavy bikes. Even used it a few times to carry furniture that didnt fit(including a lazy boy recliner). Is the rack a 2" class III or class IV? My 05 Liberty came with the weld nuts and fittings to take the Class IV setup which is a lot stronger mounting with 6 bolts. If you plan on using a higher load I would reccomend changing to it if it is not already. The 7,000 lb pull rating is mostly irrelevant unless you pull a camper but the tongue rating increase is a distinct advantage.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersedona View Post
    I use an extender with my xport 2bike platform rack all the time. No rating issues with two fairly heavy bikes. Even used it a few times to carry furniture that didnt fit(including a lazy boy recliner). Is the rack a 2" class III or class IV? My 05 Liberty came with the weld nuts and fittings to take the Class IV setup which is a lot stronger mounting with 6 bolts. If you plan on using a higher load I would reccomend changing to it if it is not already. The 7,000 lb pull rating is mostly irrelevant unless you pull a camper but the tongue rating increase is a distinct advantage.
    Not pulling anything but a bike rack.

Cutting the tongue rating in half isn't an issue unless your bikes and rack are more than 100#s which seems unlikely.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Cutting the tongue rating in half isn't an issue unless your bikes and rack are more than 100#s which seems unlikely.
    Right. I have a Kuat 4 bike for my Wrangler and have to use an extension to clear my 35x12.50s. My only issue is with the rack installed the rear gate can't open more than 3 inches without hitting the pivot point on the rack.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk