Bike rack cargo trailer thingie?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Bike rack cargo trailer thingie?

Ok, so the family and I like to go camping. We have a 2011 Ford Escape. We tent camp, and would like to start taking bikes with us. That means 4 bikes. I can buy racks for the roof of the Escape for the two adult bikes. The kids bikes are pretty small, they are 4 years old.

I am considering buying a harbor freight utility trailer for the base.

So If I build one of those, I can buy fork mounts and rear tire mounts and put the adult bikes on the roof of the trailer.

Then, I have more room for cargo, and a place to mount the bikes without buying a roof rack.

What do you guys think? Horrible idea? Am I setting myself up for failure in a way that I'm not seeing? I appreciate any comments, even negative.

Clydesdale 29er
    My Harbor freight trailer works just fine. I got an online coupon that got the price down to
    around $175 shipped and used parts off a friends Thule T2 rack after he bent it backing into
    another car. The longest drive so far was about two hours away at around 75 mph and the hubs
    never got warm. We are way under the load rating with just bikes.

MxV=Clydesdale

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks Baine. That's exactly what I have in mind, but with the addition of a cargo box. Does the harbor freight trailer seem to be pretty solid? I assume it bolts together.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Oh. Nice scion

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Clydesdale 29er
    Thanks, and yes it is all bolt together. My 11 y.o. son and I assembled it in a couple of
    hours. We did add a ground wire to the brake lights as a bolted together painted frame is
    a very poor ground. It rides rock solid at freeway speeds. I hardly know it's there.
    MxV=Clydesdale

ballbuster
    That would rawk for Downieville shuttle runs. I'm kinda thinking of doing that myself. Heck, cheaper than a rooftop cargo box and can hold WAY more. I already have the hitch receiver on the cars.

You could get some used roof trays for the bikes and leave some space down the middle for gear bags.

What does that do to your gas milage? Seems to me that it's light, but two more bearings and tires dragging, but the bikes are mostly in the draft.

Do you need to get a trailer registration, licence plate, that sorta stuff, or is that only for bigger trailers with brakes?

Clydesdale 29er
    In Georgia the trailer registration is only $14 a year so no big deal there. My little box
    does drop a couple of MPG while towing but a real car would not feel it. I had to build a
    custom frame to make the T2 racks clear the fenders so that I could get all four bikes
    on there.

MxV=Clydesdale

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The wife approved it, I get to build a trailer!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Oh what a buzzkill, just as I typed that, she said I have to wait for tax returns, so I have enough to finish it, instead of waiting.

ahhhhhh!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Leave the kids at grandma's!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I wish that would work all the time. Honestly, I'd like to leave them all home and go alone!