Bike rack (Bones) for Honda Civic Hybrid?????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bike rack (Bones) for Honda Civic Hybrid?????

Anyone out there installed (successfully) a Saris Bones 3 rack on their Civic Hybrid? I am looking at the Bones rack but they say it won't fit due to the lip at the front of the trunk!? Anyone using any other racks out there on the Civic Hybrid?

Thanks, Chris
    Last edited by Chris442; 04-23-2007 at 01:07 PM.
    "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.

mtbr member

Rack for the Honda Civic Hybrid

No one is putting a bike rack of any kind on a Honda Civic Hybrid?? Somebody out there has got to be using something???

TIA,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Civic Hybrid

I am also looking for a bike solution for my Civic Hybrid...

mtbr member
    rbrandt05,

I went with the Bones 3 rack and couldn't be happier. I had heard horror stories about bikes falling off other racks so I chose the Saris Bones 3. I have had it for over 2 years and have never had any problems. The rear bumper of the Civic is the area of concern since where the rack sits there isn't a lot of support but I haven't had any issues with hauling two bikes over 50 miles. I have mounted the rack two different ways and both have worked out just fine. The only difference in the mount positions is where the bottom feet sit: either place them directly on the bumper or turned them 90 degrees and sit them against the trunk with just the trailing edge of the foot touching the bumper, both are very stable. I do put a small piece of cloth under the top feet and under each of the 6 hooks to protect the paint and again have never had any issues. This rack has remained stable as 65+ mph.
    "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Bones 3

Thanks for the info, I went with your recommendation....

Woohooo! Moderator
    Wow, more Honda Civic Hybrid owners! I posted something a while ago but don't really hang out in this forum much so I missed this post. What do you think of the car so far?

We have a Yakima roof rack that we put on and take off of our HCHII, but so far it's never had a bike on it (just skis). The Civic is technically my wife's car so I try to keep it clean . I love the car though--I hit 58.8mpg on my commute home tonight!

Too many Sedonuts...
    I use a thule roof rack on my HCH1. I take about a 2mpg hit by having it on all the time, which means I have to "settle" for 42-46mpg in the city.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Not a Civic, but very similar...You can see in the 2nd picture that a small spoiler will not be a problem. You can adjust the legs a little closer so the arch is a little taller.

Bones 3.

This is a nice solid rack that does its job. After spending 10-15 adjusting it for the first time, it takes me 2-3 minutes to put it on or take it off. If adjusted correctly and having tighten the straps, I am confident about it holding my 30lb bike. I've driven through curvey roads and on the highway. No problems with that.

ALTHOUGH: The plastic bolts are crap. I stripped the threads on one of them already. A lot of people have this problem, many called Saris to get a new one. And finally, its a bulky rack that will not fit in my trunk without collapsing it. But it fits in my backseat just fine.

Good luck.

Tattooed Scumbag
    I run this rack on the back of a 350Z with a spoiler... Not an issue and very solid and not recomended by Seris but you gotta do what ya gotta do

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Yakima fit

Those of you running the Yakima roof mounts, did you use the measurements they give you i.e. 7 inches from the windshield and 30 inches between towers? My rear towers seem to slip when I pull on the clips. Anyone else have this trouble? Thanks.

Woohooo! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by farley325
    Those of you running the Yakima roof mounts, did you use the measurements they give you i.e. 7 inches from the windshield and 30 inches between towers? My rear towers seem to slip when I pull on the clips. Anyone else have this trouble? Thanks.
    I am using 8 and 32 if memory serves my correctly. I KNOW I am not using 7 and 30 though. I would put in another call to Yakima and find out for sure what you should be using.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    If it helps, I have a regular 06 Civic sedan with a hitch rack. Pics and details in this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=284970

Who are the brain police?
    I can't imagine a problem w/ a lip on the trunk. The Bones rack works easily enough on my wife's accord w/ a spoiler. Lot of clearance.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us