Bike Rack (for back of pick up -mod edit-)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Bike Rack (for back of pick up -mod edit-)

Hey everyone,
    This is my first post so I will start off by saying hi and that this is the best biking related message board I have found. Anyway onto my question I am new to the sport and I am getting ready to buy my first bike so I will need a rack when I go to pick it up but I don't want to buy a new rack I would rather build my own. I am currently looking for plans or ideas for a rack for two bikes. Oh I almost forgot I will be hauling the bikes around in the back of my truck (2001 1500 chevy Silverado). Any thoughts or tips would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance

trail addict
    If the bike has regular quick release front wheels, then you can get a thingy that mounts in the bed of your truck and will clamp the front fork in (without tire). My friend has a couple mounted on a board so he doesn't have the thingys permanently mounted when he doesn't want them in there (he just puts it in the bed when we need it). I'd recommend a nice, heavy 2x6 or 2x8 cut to the width of your bed. If the bikes move around at all, you can bungee them or attach something else to the wood to anchor it in front of the wheelwells. I have (just barely) enough clearance in my 4runner for something like this and I plan on doing it by spring-should cost under $30.

Hitch mounts are also good (if your truck already has a reciever), but plan on a lot more money.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yates1012
    If the bike has regular quick release front wheels, then you can get a thingy that mounts in the bed of your truck and will clamp the front fork in (without tire). My friend has a couple mounted on a board so he doesn't have the thingys permanently mounted when he doesn't want them in there (he just puts it in the bed when we need it). I'd recommend a nice, heavy 2x6 or 2x8 cut to the width of your bed. If the bikes move around at all, you can bungee them or attach something else to the wood to anchor it in front of the wheelwells. I have (just barely) enough clearance in my 4runner for something like this and I plan on doing it by spring-should cost under $30.

Hitch mounts are also good (if your truck already has a reciever), but plan on a lot more money.

Have fun!
    i'd probably go with what he's recommending. it's pretty straight foward.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Do I need to wory about having something to strap down the back tire to keep the bike from bouncing side to side

Members who have read this thread: 0