which bike rack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

which bike rack?

ok so im having a dilema on which bike rack to get. i have a 95 nissan pathfinder no hitch but has spare tire and factory roof rack. want to get bike rack for roof but factory rack doesnt have locks and very easily taken off. i've looked into spare tire racks but i have aftermarket rims on and measurement from center of rim to outer tire is more than what most spare tire racks has to offer. any suggestions will help. thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It's unclear if a roof rack is really what you want. You've listed all the reasons why specific types won't work, including roof racks, but haven't really indicated a strong preference (maybe I'm too tired to see it).

If you want opinions on what others would do in your position, then I suggest a hitch rack. Easy to load, no negative impact on fuel economy, easily stored when not in use, no risk of ramming a garage by accident. Hitches are easy to put on and relatively cheap to buy online. My vote goes to 1up and Kuat. IMHO, Thule and Yakima offer no advantages to them. In addition, 1up and Kuat both have some legitimate advantages over the major brands.

I'm Slow
    If you look around on this forum there are plenty of racks that bolt to the spare tire, so width of the tire doesn't matter. You might want to search for a little while, or maybe a kind soul will post a link for you.

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrb02
    If you look around on this forum there are plenty of racks that bolt to the spare tire, so width of the tire doesn't matter. You might want to search for a little while, or maybe a kind soul will post a link for you.
    try this..........the yakima spare time.

Members who have read this thread: 0