bike protection- Mtbr.com

Thread: bike protection

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

bike protection

Need some help/ideas...

I have a hitch mount 4 bike carrier on our truck. We are making a cross-country trip from Washington to Rhode Island. Obviously, the winter is not the best time to do this, but a new job requires it. Anyways, I am looking for some kind of cover for this particular kind of rack to avoid road grime and such. Is there one out there or am I resigned to tarp? I have looked on the net, but could not come up with anything. Any suggestions would be helpful...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've never come across one, but securing a tarp shouldn't be too difficult and if properly done will keep the road grime off and not flap noisily. I suppose you could always wrap the bikes in that shipping seran wrap that you see used to keep cases of soda tightly together on pallets. It adheres to itself and shouldn't be a problem with coming lose and flapping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mootinator
    Need some help/ideas...

I have a hitch mount 4 bike carrier on our truck. We are making a cross-country trip from Washington to Rhode Island. Obviously, the winter is not the best time to do this, but a new job requires it. Anyways, I am looking for some kind of cover for this particular kind of rack to avoid road grime and such. Is there one out there or am I resigned to tarp? I have looked on the net, but could not come up with anything. Any suggestions would be helpful...
    I hauled machinery for a brief period in my life, and was amazed how moisture would find it's where where it should not be even when the shipper spent days preparing and wrapping. My own attempts to keep bikes dry on a rack have not been much more successful.

You can consider cosmoline or Boeshield on some parts. My bro has moved around due to jobs and ended up shipping stuff with his moving items over time to have things enclosed and insured.

Good luck.

Who are the brain police?
    I've posted exactly that idea from time to time whenever this issue comes up, but haven't tried it yet.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    http://www.adcoprod.com/rear_bike.htm

I bet a tarp is cheaper though.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    saw some bike pajamas at cyclepath the other day, would they wrap around far enough? then again.. what are tarps for?

Members who have read this thread: 0