Bike Inside Minivan- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Bike Inside Minivan

Does anyone have any idea on transporting bikes inside a minivan?

mtbr member
    When it is 2 bikes...I just load them in the back of my Honda Ody...3rd seat folded into the floor of course....don't even take the wheels off.... If it is more than 2...........i put 2 in back and 2 more on the Thule T2 hitch mount rack....
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I figured I could fit 1 in without taking the middle seats out but two is pretty good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydilinger
    Does anyone have any idea on transporting bikes inside a minivan?
    Open hatch, remove rear seat, place bikes inside

What kind of van is it? In my parents Grand Caravan with the rear seat removed, I can fit 3 bikes with wheels on, or 5 with wheels off, or 3 with wheels off plus gear. You don't have to do anything, just load them in and either use bungee cords, ratchet straps, or cargo to wedge them in place so they do not move around while driving.
    Last edited by JustMtnB44; 10-27-2008 at 01:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    lol you all better be able to fit bikes inside of a mini-van. I have a 94 Civic hatchback that i can comfortably and regulary fit 2 full size MTBikes as well as 2 people in it. I can fit 3 bikes if i absolutely have to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's a Honda Odyssey. I know I can fit the bikes in there. I would like to secure them in to a fixed stand of some sort.

mtbr member
    Once my dad and I built a rack to hold the bikes inside the minivan. It required taking both wheels off though. It was basically a piece of plywood with some 6" high 2x4 blocks screwed to it, with holes drilled through them to accept either solid 9mm skewers (like on some fork mount roof racks) or bolts and nuts. It held 3 bikes and was pretty compact, but only worked for the specific bikes we built if for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I carry my bike inside my Odyssey all the time

I have had 4 bikes and 5 people inside this van. This was taken after a ride with my son.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    We took the middle row of seats out of our Odyssey and stored them in the basement right after we bought the van. Haven't used them since. Tons of room for bikes & luggage on long trips. I made a rack for holding the bikes by the forks with the front tires removed, which frees up the most space. If we're riding locally, we just lay the bikes down on top of each other with an old blanket in between. Not much mud to deal with here in the desert, and the dust isn't much of a problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kary

I have had 4 bikes and 5 people inside this van. This was taken after a ride with my son.

...hmmm, looks like the back lot of Blue mtn......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto

Not a bad way to get to the track. Much lower than loading high than a truck, your precious is out of sight and out of mind of thieves, and you dont have to slow down like you have to with a trailer. Its a hell of a AC load if your bike is still warm when you load it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Yep

Thats exactly where the picture was taken

Off the back...
    A buddy has a brand new minivan with fold-in-the-floor rear seats. He can easily fit 3 bikes+gear in the back, and we watch DVDs on the 3 screens on our way to the hill. It's a Grand Caravan or something.

rd3
    mtbr member
    In a '95 grand caravan I have fit 4 (3 V10s & a Hood) downhill bikes with front wheels off, gear for 4 people, and 4 people. All inside.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have a 2003 Ody. I use a Yakima King Cobra for inside use. Basically I got bars cut down to fit inside, folded down back seat and kept middle seats spaced apart. Works perfect.

Birthday Collector
    A buddy of mine had a Grand Caravan with 4 Captain's chair seats and a rear bench. With the bench out, we took 4 people, 4 bikes and gear, all inside. On a 1500 mile trip, in decent comfort, cruised 70 and got about 19 - 20 mpg. Almost had me looking at minivans a couple of years ago when I bought my CR-V. I have had 3 people, bikes and gear in a 2005 CR-V for a road trip to Fruita and SLC and it worked fine - got about 25 mpg with the Thule Atlantis 1800 on the roof. All the bikes and gear were effectively "inside". Not a minivan, but better for rough dirt or snowy roads and a bit better mpg.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

Members who have read this thread: 6