Bike Carrier: Leave on or take off after use???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Bike Carrier: Leave on or take off after use???

So after using ur bike rack and carrier do you guys take it off till next time or keep it on? just wondering what most of you guys are doing out there

College Boy
    Depends on the type of bike rack.

I have a roof rack on my car and it would go months with out me taking it off. One I put it on my car it would stay on my car until the next time I knew I was driving to down to Houston with out my bike and even then it was iffy if I remember to do it.
    Once it comes off my car it stays off until the next time I ride and the cycle repeats.

mtbr member
    i bike 3x a week. the t2 weighs like 40lbs, so i just leave it on the hitch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    well I've got a GTI and the gti/thule fork mount on it so it just looks good on my car and I've been leaving it on but once it starts raining i think I might just take it off.

mtbr member
    on my trunk rack: i take it off everytime i leave sight of the car for more than 10 minutes. i live in NYC and people steal **** left and right, it is possible to steal this trunk rack without cutting any straps and damaging the bike rack (allen premium 2 bike rack)

hitch rack: i have a lock, so i leave it on when i'm away from the car for some hours like when i'm riding or bringing the bike somewhere. i take it off all other times because it will rust if it hits rain and i dont want anything weighing down the rear of my car for no reason. i also dont want other cars to bump into it when parking. the only reason i leave it on for more than 10 minutes while i'm away from the car is because i have a hitch lock for it. Otherwise.. NYC, u know.(sportrack 2 bike tray)
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Leave it on it makes your car look tough and you look cool

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barcelona85
    well I've got a GTI and the gti/thule fork mount on it so it just looks good on my car and I've been leaving it on but once it starts raining i think I might just take it off.
    We have the same setup on my wife's MKV Rabbit. Been on there for two years and are only removed when I need to wax the car.
    Signature

Members who have read this thread: 0