Big truck to little car- Mtbr.com
    KAH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Big truck to little car

Just brought home a shiny new Subaru Impreza hatchback. Where the hell am I going to put my bike? I'll probably go with a Yakima set up. Will the roof rack Subaru sells as an accessory work with a Yakima bike rack?

all end up here someday
    Congrats on your new Subie.

What year is it? I just scored an '08 WRX and had some hassles trying to get bike racks for it. I could save you some trouble-shooting tiime if yours is an '08 as well.

Still waiting for someone to give me input as to whether the setup I chose will work for downhill bikes...
    If I get lost, don't go too fast!

KAH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Mine is a 2008. I've only put about 15 miles on it. Lots of seat time sitting in my garage figuring out all the knobs and buttons

all end up here someday

Now I know I'm not the only garage lot tester...

Subaru racks are Yakima racks(even though Yakima/Thule are made in the same plant). If you have the oval shape cross bars on your Impreza, Subaru hasn't made a bike rack for those cross mounts...yet. If you have the cargo rack with round cross-bars, you can get a Subaru bike rack, that is even covered under Subaru warranty. Eventually Subaru will release a "Subaru" bike rack for the oval shaped cross bars..

In the meantime, I purchased the Thule Peloton racks. They slide into the center groove of the Subaru supplied cross bars. There was no clearance issues with the 5th door opening and hitting the bike racks. The Peloton rack has held my cross country bike with no problem, but I'm still waiting for response/getting ready to test whether the Peloton will handle my downhill bike during transport. Perhaps I'll give it a test drive during my next couple days off to see if there are any problems. If so, I'll report back here...

ladge

KAH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The "roof carrier base kit" is what I'm talking about. I haven't purchased it yet, but I'm wondering if that will work with the Yakima racks. If the Subby racks are made by Yakima I'd imagine they would. The bike rack subaru sells doesn't look to sturdy.

I bet you love that WRX. If I would have bought a week ago when I first went the dealer I would have bought one.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by ladge

Now I know I'm not the only garage lot tester...

Subaru racks are Yakima racks(even though Yakima/Thule are made in the same plant). If you have the oval shape cross bars on your Impreza, Subaru hasn't made a bike rack for those cross mounts...yet. If you have the cargo rack with round cross-bars, you can get a Subaru bike rack, that is even covered under Subaru warranty. Eventually Subaru will release a "Subaru" bike rack for the oval shaped cross bars..

In the meantime, I purchased the Thule Peloton racks. They slide into the center groove of the Subaru supplied cross bars. There was no clearance issues with the 5th door opening and hitting the bike racks. The Peloton rack has held my cross country bike with no problem, but I'm still waiting for response/getting ready to test whether the Peloton will handle my downhill bike during transport. Perhaps I'll give it a test drive during my next couple days off to see if there are any problems. If so, I'll report back here...

ladge
    Got any pics of the bike setup on the 08 WRX?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Here's the setup that I like and recommend.

It will easily pay for itself with the reduced drag and gas savings.

Thule T2.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

all end up here someday
    Ok, I'm with you now.

The "roof carrier base rack" is the same thing I have - two crossbars that screw in to the roof.

Subaru (or Yakima) doesn't make a bike mount for the "roof carrier base rack" as of yet - at least that is what I was told by my friend(salesman) at Subaru, and a person at a local car rack store (Rack Attack). As of now, they only make a bike rack (fork mounted) that will work with that huge cheezy cargo basket.

The Thule Peloton works with the "roof carrier base rack." I ran my freeride Bullit around town today and it held up fine in the rack (40.3 lb bike).

Overall - the "roof carrier base rack" ($230 from Subaru) will work with the Thule Peloton. Subaru racks are made by Yakima. They just haven't come out with one yet, but probably will soon.

A picture of my setup will appear in a post or two below.

all end up here someday
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    I snapped a couple shots without the bike. Note - the "aero" Thule attachement must be removed to slap on the ski rack. Downer. Bike racks will work with the aero attachment in place.

all end up here someday
    Is that a hitch mounted rack? I wanted a hitch mounted rack on my '08 Subaru but was told it wasn't possible in the 5-door(wagon), only with the sedan.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Damn, that sucks. I know on nasioc that one of the new european wrx imports (not sure if it was wrx or sti) had the possibility of a hitch for towing (much more popular in europe).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

all end up here someday

Here's why

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Damn, that sucks. I know on nasioc that one of the new european wrx imports (not sure if it was wrx or sti) had the possibility of a hitch for towing (much more popular in europe).
    If I'm not mistaken the '08 WRX Sedan can have a hitch. For some reason the 5 door changed the exhaust. In the past the wagon/sedan had similar exhaust. Even on my STI I could have put a hitch on it.

Not sure if the '08 STI can have a hitch - the exhaust is different than that on the regular WRX.

Attached are two pics - the 08 5 door and the 05 Sedan (sti). The 08 sedan has a similar exhaust set up. As you can see, no room for a hitch on the 5 door...

all end up here someday
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    Here's pics of the Peloton on the '08 crossbars. Pretty simple setup - takes maybe 10-15 minutes to put on. Just slide the mounting screws into the groove in the crossbars, put the mount on, line it up, tighten downt the locking nuts with an allen and it's good to go.

Coors, the american beer.
    jay ... when did you get rid of your neon? Subaru is lookin good
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've had the WRX for just over a year. With a few mods it's bloody fast, especially down at sea level. Super-practical.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    i think you could make it work, if you ditched that lame ass stock axle back.

only pic i can find of my 06 wagon with the hitch mount. it really helps with the MPG if you have the wrx (turbo) as with the top mount i was almost always in boost

green on white seems to be a popular trend these days

double post
    Last edited by Melt; 11-28-2007 at 01:27 PM.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I just got an 07 Impreza wagon. I already had a hitch mount set-up for my other car, so we're staying with that. It does help a tremendous amount to have the bikes out of the wind when it comes to gas mileage on these little cars.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    I just got an 07 Impreza wagon. I already had a hitch mount set-up for my other car, so we're staying with that. It does help a tremendous amount to have the bikes out of the wind when it comes to gas mileage on these little cars.
    especially if you have a turbo on that car.

txn
    mtbr member
    That Subaru bar looks awfully similar to the bars on my Saris roof rack.

Members who have read this thread: 0