Bicycle racks for an suv- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Bicycle racks for an suv

Hi All

I'm going nuts trying to find a bike rack. I tried a Thule, and the bikes sways to much. The Dealer told me to try a Saris-Cycle-on. I am leaning towards a rack with tracks and the ratcheting arm to hold the wheels. Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Willie

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Say no to a Yakima Big Horn!

I don't know what to get but I know what not to get. The Yakima Big Horn sways too much to be comfortable on my Honda CRV. I love everything else I've ever gotten from Yakima though including my roof cycle racks.

(Does that make this tread a process of elimination?)
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    I use a Saris Bones rack on mine. I was surprised how well it works. And at only $115, you can't beat it!

Forked!
    If your tired of roof racks, try two 2x6's and fork mounts. carries two bikes and under $40.

Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pw0p
    Hi All

I'm going nuts trying to find a bike rack. I tried a Thule, and the bikes sways to much. The Dealer told me to try a Saris-Cycle-on. I am leaning towards a rack with tracks and the ratcheting arm to hold the wheels. Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Willie
    I have a Dodge Durango and a Chevy Trailblazer and have used the Saris Bones racks and they work perfect on both vehicals. I started using the Saris Cycle-on 4 bike rack at the start of the summer and that also works perfect but is heavy to take on and off, also if you have a rear rack or fenders you have to take those off to rachet the wheel lock system onto the wheel to secure the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

TranSport Series Rack or Saris, Cycle-On?

Ok, I've narrowed it down to two brands that might work. Has anyone had any experience with either the Transport or the Saris Cycle-On?

http://www.bicycleracks.com/sttra.asp

http://www.saris.com/products/cycleonpro.htm

Thanks,

Willie

Yup

Imo

The Sportworks are the only way to go. I have a Transport for the bike with the the 3rd bike add-on. Drove it to and from Durango for the finals and it was bulletproof at mach speeds (or however fast my minvan could go ). If your bikes are pushing 40+ lbs, you'll want to consider the Freerider but you'll lose the 3rd and 4th bike add-on options. And if you're looking for a roof mount (assuming you don't want to take the wheels off), the Bob Ratchet is the ONLY choice.