best way to haul a bike in a truck- Mtbr.com
    The Trooper

best way to haul a bike in a truck

just got a ford ranger i want a rack for the bed that you don't have to take the wheel off for also is it ok to just throw it in the back or does it need to be strapped down or somthing

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I use a Thule Insta-Gator for my bike. It secures against the tailgate via two thick rubber straps and can be positioned left, right or in the middle of the bed. You can move or remove it just by opening that tailgate. Once the bike is secured it does not require any straps but I use one just for added security. The biggest downside I found is if someone opens the tailgate they could take the bike and rack together (unless you have a locking tailgate). The rack only hold one bike though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Rack in bad of truck

I took about 30 foot of 1" PVC pipe and built a rack for 3 bikes for the back of my S-10 truck. I can put 5 (YES) 5 in the bed of the small truck. I can put pics. up if you want me to LMK Hope this helps. Go to Google and type PVC Bike Racks and search around..

STINKY TOFU
    If my friend didnt give me his Yakima blockheads I'd definitely do the PVC thing. I've seen a few on here and the look pretty damn good.
    "I'd pee on that"
    -R. Kelly-

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I built the PVC rack for my Dodge when the kids go with me, I have actually adapted it hold five bikes. Primarily it stays in the garage holding bikes though. The Gator is what I normally use.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I second the Insta-Gator. I use two of them in my F150.

Members who have read this thread: 0