Best Vertical Bike Rack for Sprinter? NSR/Recon/Lolo/Yakima?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best Vertical Bike Rack for Sprinter? NSR/Recon/Lolo/Yakima?

I searched on here because I feel like this would be a hotly debated topic, but didn't really find any comparisons on vertical bike racks.

I have a 2004 Sprinter high roof and I currently use a Yakima 4 bike swing out hitch rack:
    Best Vertical Bike Rack for Sprinter? NSR/Recon/Lolo/Yakima?-41059232240_4506a17d20_b.jpg

It works great with 1-3 bikes, but not that I am traveling with 4 or more bikes with at least 3-4 of them being full suspension it is a pain to load and there is a lot of contact between bikes. On my last trip I saw someone with a North Shore Rack and I really liked that idea and looked into it realizing there are a few companies that make ones like that:

Recon
    Lolo
    Yakima

They are all really expensive, which is going to be hard to pull the trigger on, but may be worth it.

My concerns for the sprinter as follows:
    -Can the rear doors open with bikes on the rack?
    -Will the top of the bikes make contact with the ladder on the rear door or windows of the rear door?
    -Easy to load/unload with full suspension and DH bikes?
    -It is secured from movement? Don't want a tire going through my rear window on a bump.

Hopefully someone has used these racks with a sprinter van and can provide some input.

Thanks!
    Diamondback Mission
    Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro
    My website/blog with project info

Downcountry AF
    Just took a trip with a buddies new setup. Lolo rack. It was pretty sweet and the bikes were secure and undamaged despite going on and off the rack many times each day and traveling 2000+ miles. Seemed like a pretty good design. We had 4-6 bikes on it most of the time.

Best Vertical Bike Rack for Sprinter? NSR/Recon/Lolo/Yakima?-img_8154.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Loving our Recon on the back of our Sprinter. Clears just fine and when I lower the rack I can swing both rear doors open. Have the 5 pack and can leave all bikes on

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Having a ladder on the back I was worried that the bikes may bump into or hit the ladder or rear of the van. Have you guys had any issues with that?

I really like the recon 5 bike, seems perfect for my van, just hard to stomach the $900+ for it.
    Diamondback Mission

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Just took a trip with a buddies new setup. Lolo rack. It was pretty sweet and the bikes were secure and undamaged despite going on and off the rack many times each day and traveling 2000+ miles. Seemed like a pretty good design. We had 4-6 bikes on it most of the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8154.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	373.8 KB 
ID:	1246901
    I need this in my garage
    No moss...

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    I need this in my garage
    I would be happy just to have a garage that fit that.

fried stuff with cheese
    I own a NSR and a Recon (both 4 bike) and while there are some features of the Recon I like better, if I were doing over again I would have bought another NSR. I've found the NSR to be a much more secure mount than the Recon. The Recon also developed play in the pivot after a a month or so which made for a very loud rattle when driving. Recon did take the pivot back and rebuild it for me which helped but after a couple of weeks it's already started making noise again.
    Egg

mtbr member
    This is the clearance I am worried about. Bike tire to the rear ladder. Both NSR and Recon would pose a clearance issue. Anyone with experience with those racks that could speak on that clearance?
    Diamondback Mission

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
    This is the clearance I am worried about. Bike tire to the rear ladder. Both NSR and Recon would pose a clearance issue. Anyone with experience with those racks that could speak on that clearance?
    Sorry to further complicate, but I just ordered the Yakima Hangover 6 for $639.00, free shipping to my local store.

20% off right now (Memorial Weekend sale?) and looks like it's solved a lot of the problems the North Shore and Recon rack have been noted of having. The "rope" od the NSR is down right primitive!

One note it only works with MTB crowns, so no road bikes or rigid bikes on this one.

https://www.rei.com/product/150186/y...ike-hitch-rack

For your application, you probably just need a hitch extender.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hit...nch_Hitch.aspx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Sorry to further complicate, but I just ordered the Yakima Hangover 6 for $639.00, free shipping to my local store.

20% off right now (Memorial Weekend sale?) and looks like it's solved a lot of the problems the North Shore and Recon rack have been noted of having. The "rope" od the NSR is down right primitive!

One note it only works with MTB crowns, so no road bikes or rigid bikes on this one.

https://www.rei.com/product/150186/y...ike-hitch-rack

For your application, you probably just need a hitch extender.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hit...nch_Hitch.aspx
    That's a good deal compared to the other options being $1000 range for 5/6 bike models... I may jump on it. Still concerned about the clearance to the rear ladder. The hitch extender fixes that but I feel like it will put to much weight and wiggle-room on the hitch...

Also I know it's a new model, but does anyone have any experience with the Yakima Hangover?
    Diamondback Mission

mtbr member
    I can't speak for anybody else but when my friends and I are on a road trip with (4) bikes, we're toting around a minimum of $30K in mountain bikes. The last thing I'm going to worry about is how much my rack costs. I'd be choosing the most bullet-proof design I could find at any sensible cost. I've personally never heard anybody complain about the North Shore Rack; a shuttle company we use uses that rack on their vans repeatedly and doesn't have any issues with the bikes rubbing or falling off.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    So went with the Yakima Hangover 6. I'll report back after I get it setup and do some test runs with it.

All 3 options (NSR, Recon, Yakima) were in the $800-1000 range for 5+ bikes and are all solid. In my case the clearance to the rear of the van was a deciding factor. The big difference between the 3 is the way the bikes mount. I'll report back after I know more.
    Diamondback Mission

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
    So went with the Yakima Hangover 6. I'll report back after I get it setup and do some test runs with it.

All 3 options (NSR, Recon, Yakima) were in the $800-1000 range for 5+ bikes and are all solid. In my case the clearance to the rear of the van was a deciding factor. The big difference between the 3 is the way the bikes mount. I'll report back after I know more.
    So, how is it working? Can you open your rear doors with the rack flipped down? Pictures? I have a 2007 NCV3, and I'm considering the Yakima Hangover. But opening the rear doors is key.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher View Post
    So, how is it working? Can you open your rear doors with the rack flipped down? Pictures? I have a 2007 NCV3, and I'm considering the Yakima Hangover. But opening the rear doors is key.

Morgan
    On a trip with it now. I do like it, but let me get some pictures and I'll respond when I get to a computer.
    Diamondback Mission

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    EDIT: Buyers remorse, ie guilt for not having purchased a locally made product, so I cancelled my order and I'm leaning toward an NSR. I like Recon, but they're a month out, I like Lolo but I had a bar mount rack previously and didn't like it. So yeah, I think NRS will work, tough, tested, fair price, not Yakima or Thule. Stillm, what I really want is a Recon ....

... and so the wait begins: Recon Gen2 R4, $850 delivered.

Original Post:

I was leaning toward a Lolo, but I'm not a fan of hanging bikes from the bars because it's a PITA fitting the mount around all the doodads on our bars, and the bars get chaffed.

I like the Recon, but for $300 more, yeah, it's just not worth it... unless the Yakima is junk.

Love NSR, but I hate messing with the "strings".

Alta is not worth the money, regardless of claims of quality; the shilling doesn't help.

I'm coming from a One Up, so my standards are pretty high.

Going on the back or a Promaster Van.

Ordered a Yakima Hangover 4, $505, can't beat the price.

I'll post a review with pics after I give a good flogging.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 4 Days Ago at 02:09 PM.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    So I got the Hangover 6 behind a 2004 Sprinter with a rear ladder. It did work great, but they had to be leaned back to avoid contact with the tires on the back of the van. Not a problem, but it does put more stress on the hitch.

The clearance was fine and it was really nice to be able to access the back doors with it folded down. However it was still to close too open them completely, but enough to access them.

Here are some pictures of it with 4 bikes on it:
    Best Vertical Bike Rack for Sprinter? NSR/Recon/Lolo/Yakima?-psx_20190626_152328.jpg

Best Vertical Bike Rack for Sprinter? NSR/Recon/Lolo/Yakima?-img_20190712_091951.jpg

The only cons I had on this trip with it was that two of the rubber straps snapped, which I will be contacting REI/Yakima about. Other than that it is one of the more solid bike racks I have used.

I uploaded some more picture of the rack on the back of the van here: https://alex31014.wixsite.com/kuladventures/post/yakima-hangover-6-vertical-bike-rack
    Diamondback Mission

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I bought a hangover 4 Yakima and was disappointed with the fork hangers. They really sucked and allowed for a laughable amount of side to side play. Additionally most of the bikes weight was supported by the forkís air valve top cap because of the poor design.

I returned it after one trip and bought a north shore racks 4. Itís SO much better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    NSR-4 bike is good. However, getting the bikes out of the crown is finicky. I prefer the horizontal rack for 2 bikes. Anything more than 2 hanging style is good.

Something to be aware of (but not a huge concern on full-size vans) is that as bikes get longer it's easier to hit the rear tire on the ground. I have knocked my GG Smash off my NSR-4 a couple times (all low speed and never actually fell off the rack, just off the crown mounts) because the bike is so long.

mtbr member

ALTA RACKS made for vans

Racks build in Utah, with the most clearance and rise out of any racks out there. We also sell extenders to allow for full door opening. No contact with the bikes frame, and no contact between the bikes. Post is turning pictures side way,
    Many color options and other features available. Life time warranty.
    Have an awesome summer,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Vertical Bike Rack for Sprinter? NSR/Recon/Lolo/Yakima?-img_20190322_093915663.jpg  

Best Vertical Bike Rack for Sprinter? NSR/Recon/Lolo/Yakima?-img_20190322_093911096.jpg  

Best Vertical Bike Rack for Sprinter? NSR/Recon/Lolo/Yakima?-img_20190423_142948899.jpg  

Last edited by Alta Racks; 1 Day Ago at 10:05 AM. Reason: picture fix
    Military grade products at great prices.
    www.altaracks.com
    Not just a bike rack, but a Life rack.