Best two bike hauler?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best two bike hauler?

I would like a car / van or SUV that can haul two bikes upright (not laying down) with or without front wheel attached. Bikes will be L & XL sizes so headroom need to be large. I know a Element or full size van would work but would like better ride than Element and better gas economy than a full size van. Any good suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkbike2
    I would like a car / van or SUV that can haul two bikes upright (not laying down) with or without front wheel attached. Bikes will be L & XL sizes so headroom need to be large. I know a Element or full size van would work but would like better ride than Element and better gas economy than a full size van. Any good suggestions?
    The CRV or RAV4 will work fine, not take too much gas and are pretty comfy. I had an 03 CRV that I was carrying 2 bikes upright (front wheel off) with plenty of guear.

I just traded it for an 08 Honda Fit. My medium Nomad fits fine upright in the Fit but a large or XL would be a bit too long so it would need to be diagonal a bit and then take more space. For height though it is fine, the height inside of the Fit is unbelievable, no other small car is that spacious.

mtbr member
    Toyota corolla, not really cool, but pretty large inside, has decent power, and still gets 25 mpg at 80 mph with two bikes on top. Good size trunk and had good legroom for a car of its size. As far as headroom is concerned, I am only 5'11" but have a long torso and even with a hat on, I don't come close to touching the ceiling.

Like I said, not a cool car (unless you just appreciate good mileage) but works well in my case.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have a Dodge grand caravan it's the 3.0 has gotten 25 on the highway I think the new 3.3's would be similar. Plenty of room for bikes and people. One way that I justify it over a smaller car is I'll camp in it with the bikes a few times a year when the weather outside isn't the best and I say to myself saved the price of a room. The only thing I'd trade it for would be a Matrix or a Fit. I think the roof line is too low with a matrix and would require seat adjustment every move. I would like to hear more from bonanzarider about his fit and if you have a pic that'd be cool too.
    Do you have to adjust the seat on your bike?
    Are you having to put the rearwheel between the two front seats?
    What trany did you get and what is your gas mileage?
    I've heard they are plenty peppy would they be ok in the mountains?
    The fit is pretty interesting impossible to find one used I do think they are a car that makes sense. I'd even be interested in finding out the measurement to the front seats then to the roofline.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Honda FIT

Honda FIT

You can fit one bike with both wheels on or 2 bikes with the front wheels off inside the car. So, no rack needed, less wind drag, better gas mileage. I fit 2 downhill bikes and gear for the weekend. Take the front wheels off, flip the bikes over and put inside. Use bungie tie downs to secure the bikes. Yes, it even has tie down hooks. Then proceed to drive far and wide and get 38 mpg.

Went to 20 races this year and saved enough money for all those broken bike parts.

ZEN RIDER!
    My Sante Fe works great as a family vehicle and for my play toys. Has an excellent crash test rating & gets 22-24 mpg travelling at 80 mph going to work. The cargo area folds down real quick & easy & is large. Also has a recessed trunk area for clothes & bike stuff. Plus it rides real nice & comes with a ton of standard features without having to drop a huge chunk of change. Plus it looks pretty cool
    Life in every breath

dh1
    mtbr member
    Chrysler Town&Country with stow/go seats. With L or XL bikes, you will have to simply remove the seat and it will stand straight up in the back. My wife & sons ride small frames and theirs don't require seat post removal to be able to stand upright in the back.

The nice part a about stow/go seats is that you can fold down just the rear bench, 1/2 the rear bench and one of the middle row captain seats, or all of the rear seats etc. So you can carry several bikes and passengers too.

With all of the seats in the rear folded down, you have 4ftx8ft of floor space. You can't top the versatility or comfort. They drive like a car, but carry cargo like an SUV. Gets above 25mpg freeway. New with 07 was the lifetime powertrain warranty

All that being said, when we travel I wind up with a van load of wife and kids and 4 bikes on a hitch rack. Next year when my daughter starts riding, we will have to add a roof rack and hitch rack....or take 2 vehicles.

The only problem with minivans is the lameness factor of driving a minivan all the time. I used to keep a Saab turbo and a BMW 7 to offset the lameness from the minivan...but family requirements have pushed me in to a 2 minivan family.

If price is not a concern for you, look at the Dodge Sprinter. With a turbo diesel engine, it gets around 27mpg....and they are huge. You could carry all the bikes you want and a full workshop. They run around 50K new outfitted for passenger use. Mechanical companies use them as work vans without windows or seats.

meh... whatever
    my tdi jetta gets 35 mpg @ 75 mph with three bikes on the roof and blasting the a/c.

when im not hauling bikes and take off the roof rack i get 40-45 mpg.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i also have a Jetta TDI. Mine is a 2000 so it has the previus generation diesel engine that is a little smaller but gets better fuel economy. I get 50mpg highway 46 city. I have a small hitch on it so i had more options when carrying bikes. What i did was i got one of those rectangular cargo carriers that slide into your hitch and mounted two fork mounts to it so i just take the front wheels off and mount it on! And if i need to pack a ton of gear i have a cargo carrier too ;-)

- Rick

Old Punk Hucker
    I've got a Matrix and I built my own rack to fit 2 bikes upright with front wheel removed. Actually it can fit 3 bikes/riders and it till has enough place to bring in spare clothes, a repair stand and tools. I've been promising this multiple times but I'll try to get a hand on a digital camera to post some pics!

Perp

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by DrBlalock
    What i did was i got one of those rectangular cargo carriers that slide into your hitch and mounted two fork mounts to it so i just take the front wheels off and mount it on! And if i need to pack a ton of gear i have a cargo carrier too ;-)

- Rick

Hey.., good idea....Where did you get the fork mounts????

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJob
    Hey.., good idea....Where did you get the fork mounts????
    I got them here:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4413

I got my cargo carrier from Bass Pro because I worked there at the time and got a huge employee discount. The mounting surface is a steel mesh-type pattern which isnt stable enough to mount the fork mounts directly. I had some small scrap pieces of aluminum bars that I mounted under the mesh that went to the solid rails of the carrier, then mounted the fork mounts to them. I'll take some pictures of the set up and post them later when I get back home

This really is a good setup, I dont have to worry about a bike carrier scratching up my top tube on my road bike or trying to figure out a way to get my full suspension bike on a regular bike carrier. The fork mounts are very secure and I haven't had any issues at all. Oh and another advantage is that it is easy to lock the bike to either the hitch or the carrier itself since I have a locking pin.

I'll get the pics up asap

- Rick

Perp
    waaay cool.., Yes please upload pics when you can I am totally going to do this. Harbour Freight on the corner near me has an aluminum basket for 49 bucks. I also have some aluminum bars....thanks!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    waaay cool.., Yes please upload pics when you can I am totally going to do this. Harbour Freight on the corner near me has an aluminum basket for 49 bucks. I also have some aluminum bars....thanks!!
    For some reason the photo upload isnt working for me on this site, if you send me your email in a PM i would be happy to email them to ya.

- Rick

Perp

... and if we just ...

ordered the fork stand things today and picking up the aluminum carrier this afternoon $59 at Harbour Freight. (I have a gift card) I will post pics!! Thanks DrBlalock

I went trail riding with my brother in the pouring rain Sunday and got mud all over the inside of my new Suburban....(wife not happy) This project just became a major priority

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ordered the fork stand things today and picking up the aluminum carrier this afternoon $59 at Harbour Freight. (I have a gift card) I will post pics!! Thanks DrBlalock

I went trail riding with my brother in the pouring rain Sunday and got mud all over the inside of my new Suburban....(wife not happy) This project just became a major priority
    Happy to help man! Hopefully your interior isnt too much of a pain in the arse to clean! You're gonna love your new setup. Mud = garden hose.

- Rick

Old Punk Hucker
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    I've got a Matrix and I built my own rack to fit 2 bikes upright with front wheel removed. Actually it can fit 3 bikes/riders and it till has enough place to bring in spare clothes, a repair stand and tools. I've been promising this multiple times but I'll try to get a hand on a digital camera to post some pics!
    Here are the pics : http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=375008
    Beware the hucking bear!

Members who have read this thread: 0