Best thru axle fork rack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Best thru axle fork rack?

I just got a new bike with a 15mm thru axle and wondering what you all recommend for the best fork rack. I've already got Thule (square) crossbars so looking for something to fit that.

So far - all I can seem to find is the Kuat Trio (does this support thru axle?) and the Thule Thruride 535 (new model?).

I've also looked at getting the RockyMount Pitch Fork with an adapter but I feel like that's clunky and not sure how the adapters work with security.

Advice and recommendations?

mtbr member
    I have the Trio -- it is super slick. Very low profile and super easy to switch between thru axle bikes (MTBs) and QR bikes (roadies), which is nice if you have a quiver of bikes. Bikes are super secure and it looks nice on the car when not in use.

at the risk of turning this into a spam post, I'm about to put mine up for sale since I no longer have a need for it, so you can pm if you'd be interested in it, but regardless it is a great rack and the best fork-mount roof rack that I found in my search.

code: mtbr2011
    I too, use the Kuat Trio. I use it for my 20mm t/a and I also have a 2nd I use for my son's 9mm qr. I like it for both applications very much.
    It's on the top of my list for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Also found this other option:

http://www.amazon.com/Inno-Multi-For.../dp/B00CHZEEVW

Anyone have any experience with the Inno INA392? Is the KUAT Trio worth the extra money?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have both a Kuat Trio and this Inno one you link. The Kuat is better in every way, but since you asked:

The Inno does the job, but I don't use it much. I bought it because of the multiple thru axle options, it's easy to remove/install on the cross bars, and it's "relatively" low cost. I basically bought the the Inno rack to only put on when I'm adding another bike to a trip. It does the job, but I'm not sure of it's long term durability in the elements/sun day after day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Have you sold your Kuat racks yet? If you're willing to ship (depending on where you are), lets talk!

Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    I have the Trio -- it is super slick. Very low profile and super easy to switch between thru axle bikes (MTBs) and QR bikes (roadies), which is nice if you have a quiver of bikes. Bikes are super secure and it looks nice on the car when not in use.

at the risk of turning this into a spam post, I'm about to put mine up for sale since I no longer have a need for it, so you can pm if you'd be interested in it, but regardless it is a great rack and the best fork-mount roof rack that I found in my search.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have the new-ish Thule 535 ThruRide. It is designed for thru-axles only. So far I'm very happy with it; but have only had it for a few months. Holds the bike very securely. Very easy to use.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How about the RockyMounts Brass Knuckles? I've been using one for most of the summer and really like it.

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    How about the RockyMounts Brass Knuckles? I've been using one for most of the summer and really like it.

J.
    I have two on my car. Can't say I'm the biggest fan of them. Mine have a LOT of play side to side when a bike is loaded. Just seems like the tolerances in the materials are way off. I do not think that they will last anywhere near as long as a fork setup. Save the hassle and get one from Kuat. I wish I had in the first place...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris307 View Post
    I have two on my car. Can't say I'm the biggest fan of them. Mine have a LOT of play side to side when a bike is loaded. Just seems like the tolerances in the materials are way off. I do not think that they will last anywhere near as long as a fork setup. Save the hassle and get one from Kuat. I wish I had in the first place...
    Your experience doesn't match mine. I find it to be very secure and with less wobble than the other two similar style racks I have for the top of the car that don't require wheel removal.

The thing is built like brick s***house. According to RockyMounts, there is nothing in it to corrode so it would work well for a fatbike for winter riding.

J.