best roof rack for a sedan- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

best roof rack for a sedan

I have a 98 VW Jetta VR6, that has a factory Votex Roof Rack.
    I have 2 different bike racks for it.
    both are thule:
    Peloton

and a
    Big Mouth

I use both, depends on whether i have company, or i'm too lazy to take my front wheel off.
    But i've noticed lately that my bike wobbles alot on both racks.

took it for a test drive the other day, with my bike on the roof, given it was a little windy, but my bike was swaying from side to side with about 2 inches of movement on either side.

Does anyone recommend a different roof rack to carry a bike>?
    Are any more study then the ones I already have?
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

Thule Sidearm works well for me (I run the sportworks version which Thule bought, and redesigned that model slightly)

My bike doesn't sway even at 75mph (as long as the arm secures the wheel properly)... only starts swaying on the bumps, but what rack doesn't?

BMF
    Oct 2007
    You may just need to tighten the trays down onto the cross-bars to snug them up and prevent the "sway". Some movement is normal, but if it seems like more than you had noticed in the past my guess is things have worked loose a little, or at least that's what I found to be the case with my Thule system recently.

Also, pay close attention to the bolt under the fork-mount as it can come loose over time.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Two weekends ago my buddy mounted his Thule Aero rack on to his car and mounted a pair of Thule Big Mouth trays. We loaded up two bikes and we hit the road. Shortly after we got on to the freeway I looked up through the moonroof and saw that his bike was swaying back and forth from side to side about 3 inches at the top of the bike. I told him to pull over and he took the next exit. Turns out that he missed one of the rails when he installed the rack. We took his bike off and remounted the tray and it worked great afterwards. Both bikes would sway from side to side but only by about an inch at the saddle.

One of the things that I do is to set up the straps either a little forward or behind the lowest part of the rim so that there is a loading on the tire in such a way that the tire pulls the frame into the frame mount.

Members who have read this thread: 0