Best Roof Rack Bike Holder???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Best Roof Rack Bike Holder???

Hey, I just bought a Thule roof rack and was wondering what would be the best and cheapest bicycle carrier to carry a mountain and a road bike without taking off the front wheel. The mountain bike is a full sus Bullit. Any help would be great.

mtbr member
    I bought a Yakima High Roller. Its on the expensive side, but its pretty firm and easy to mount. Well see how durable it is.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thule Big Mouth rack. The early ones were a pain to use but the newest ones have automatically adjustable claws that will allow you to grab on to the downtube of a lot of different diameter tubes without anything more than flipping the locking lever into its locked position.

The loading procedure goes like this: ensure that the lock is unlocked and pull the locking lever all the way open. Ensure that the wheel straps are open. Lift the bike up and place the tires into the tray. Roll the bike back so that the locking jaws can clear your crankset then pull up the locking jaws to line it up with a spot on the downtube then slide the bike forward into the jaws and flip the locking lever all the way into its locked position. You can lock it at this time if you want or lock it after you've secured the wheel straps, which is the next step. Done. Takes longer to read it than it is to do it and it is very secure if you lock it, which is highly recommended, even if you are just going from point to point as locking the lever prevents it from popping open inadvertently.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks guys....yea after doing some research seems like they are the best bang for the buck. I just have to find one to see if it will work.

non-drama queen
    Also consider the Thule SideArm... here's a video demo of it in action:

Thule Side Arm demo- ORSracksdirect

I scored two on Ebay for the price of one...

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a feeling that a bike thief can just let the air out of the front tire, especially a fat mountain bike tire, and make off with the bike. This may not be the case but since that arm holds the bike by its front tire against the tray. What would happen to the bike if the front tire went flat after you mount it to the tray?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I recently bought a Yakima Raptor for my Jeep Patriot. It was relatively inexpensive and holds the bikes just fine. The plastic used to make the parts, especially the ratchet things for the wheels, doesn't seem to be of the highest grade though. Still, the Raptor is easy to install on the cross bars and getting the bikes on and off is a piece of cake too.

Members who have read this thread: 0