Best & Lightest Hitch rack that holds bikes by the tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best & Lightest Hitch rack that holds bikes by the tires?

Which one is the best? I have currently have a saris Cycle On Pro and it is a awesome rack that is a tanks as it weighs a ton. Worked great for my Xterra which I traded in for a Mazda 3 hatchback. Due to that I need a lighter rack that is 1 1/4 instead of a 2 that will hold two bikes. I will be caring no more then 30 lbs per bike and a good part of the time less then 20 lbs as my road bike is a lot lighter then my tuner 5 spot. Also want adjustabilty so I can place a smaller kids bike on the rack. Any recommendations?

Brant-C.
    you just need one of these:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-brahea~HT...utm_medium=ppc

i have the CycleOn and i put it on a ford focus. it does just fine. one bike is 36 pounds and the other is 26 pounds.

it also goes on a van and truck. hence the adapter.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

LDH
    mtbr member
    the adapters also have the benefit of spacing the bikes back from the car for more pedal/bar clearance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Me Too....I like the Hollywood Sportrider 2

I just did the same thing...finally gave up my old Isuzu and have a Honda Civic. I put the 1.25" lower on the Saris and used it for a couple of months. I wasn't happy with the way the weight of the rack made the car feel, it all bounced around like crazy, loaded or not, and scraped my not very steep driveway too. I was going to get the Saris Thelma but it wont fit my 29er wheels. Sold the Cycle On Pro and bought the Hollywood Sportrider 2. Half the weight and more clearance, plus folds to a size that fits in my trunk with room to spare. I think the Performance Xport is the same rack as the Hollywood with a different name. I am happy with the rack...on the advice of my LBS I added a split ring lock washer to all the knobs and I take the vertical hooks off the rack when I am not using it so the foam padding doesn't deteriorate.

mtbr member
    Look at the Swagman XC2 (1.25" hitch size). Very similar to the Hollywood and Xport racks.

tk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My buddy has a Saris Cycle On Pro and I have a Thule T2. My T2 sits higher and closer and has more adjustability. We both prefer the T2, which is lighter. The big benefit is that mine sits higher so on a car, this is critical. He has an Outback and I have a Forester. The hitch height is practically the same. There is one area where he hits the base of his rack (and tore that rubber/plastic wheel thingy off) but I go through that each time and have never hit the base of the rack.

I also have a Turner Spot and a roadbike, not that it matters but the coincidence is worth mentioning. Anyway, i also like the Raxter rack- it is probably the lightest and holds the bikes by both wheels only. They look very promising:

http://www.1upusa.com/raxterrack.htm

Slowest Rider
    I'm looking myself for a light 4-bike rack that is a wheel holding design. I want to keep the rack weight light so I can not exceed my Taurus X's 200 lb tongue weight rating.

Thule T2 is fairly light weight, and the Yakima's equivilent used to weigh a lot more with cast iron parts. But Yakima just came out with the Holdup rack that's much lighter now and only weighs 49 lbs. Also, it looks to have a built-in extension to raise the rack and wheels higher. See the details here for the 1 1/4 rack. The 2" rack page has much more details on the weight and dimensions (hit button to see Parts List sub-page).

I haven't had a chance to look at the Holdup in person, as it's still a couple days away from being in the stores. But if it fits right when I try it at the dealer, I'll get it.

Also, the Raxter rack looks pretty nice too. But I want to get something with locks and compatible with roof racks and cargo boxes as a system.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That "extension" to raise the rack is an excellent idea for sedans and low vehicles. It will be nice to get some feedback from new users soon.

mtbr member
    I have been looking hard at he Raxter. It only weighs 32 lbs and that is for the 2" model. I assume the 1 1/4" is a pound or two lighter.. Only thing it is missing is the cable lock and the hitch lock both of which can be had separately.

Slowest Rider

Sprung for Yakima HoldUp

OK, I finally sprung for the Yakima Holdup. Delivery won't be until later this month as there was a holdup on the Holdup. Yakima explained it as a major snow storm in China affecting delivery of some critical parts. They said it will be in their warehouse on April 18. I placed the pre-order anyway to take advantage of Yakima's $40 rebate - their "Hitch Rack KickBack" on any rack over $300, only good during purchases in the month of April.

I got the standard 10% off you can get anywhere - web, AAA member, just by asking,... My price is then:

$319 Holdup -10% - $40 Rebate
    $234 Holdup Plus 2 -10%
    $553 Total before tax, no shipping charge at my store

This includes hitch pin lock, bike lock, fold up rack, and bottle opener.

I was thinking hard about getting the Raxter as it's a little more compact and available now. But the Velcro on the Raxter seemed to be a little slow and cumbersome, the fold up version was more expensive than the Yakima, the locks weren't included, the "stair step" design for the Raxter 4-bike rack looked hokey, I wanted to go with all one supplier for racks and cargo boxes if possible, and the Raxter rack quality didn't seem to be quite the same.

But both the Raxter and Yakima look to be good light weight units however. I'd probably be happy with either.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Members who have read this thread: 0