Best hitch mount rack for my use?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best hitch mount rack for my use?

Going to get a new vehicle and we will have the dealer install a trailer hitch.
    I will be looking to purchase a quality rack to carry 2 bikes at one time.
    We will either be carrying two mountain bikes, both are 29ers and mine is a full suspension or both Cyclocross bikes.

What hitch mounted rack would be best? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That depends a lot on your budget, desired convenience, and what type of vehicle you are going to get. A platform type of rack offers a bit more convenience than an arm type of rack, but also extends the vehicle length a bit. If you are going to purchase a lower sitting vehicle (compact sedan, etc.), and will be traveling over road/trail depressions, then a platform rack may end up scraping as you ascend up steep hills. Platform racks due tend to offer a bit more convenience for FSR type of bikes due to the various crossbar styles. Another consideration might be the weight of the rack and storage space at home, if you plan to remove the rack when you are not cycling.

Rogue Exterminator
    Best?

I suppose that is a matter of opinion but since you said best I doubt budget matters.

If it is a 2" receiver (truck or SUV)
    Küat NV is a good one to look at.
    Add ons are available to this rack so you can expand it to carry 4 bikes.
    Also has an integrated cable lock and mechanic stand.

Products » The NV | Küat

If you are buying a car which uses a 1.25" receiver then checkout the Sherpa
    Products » Sherpa | Küat
    Add ons are not available for this rack but it can fit both receiver sizes.

Prepare to pay for either but I have never heard a bad thing about them.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Okay, I understand the comments and they are valid requests for more info;

We are going to purchase a 2014 Toyota Rav4 and I am going to request the 2 inch hitch.
    I did say best and although money always matters, often times the least expensive price turns out to me the most expensive.

I do like the platform type and have looked at the 1up, Yakima & Thule and have some questions about all three.

The 1up, just expansion tightening in the hitch, will this hold up since I plan on taking it off when not using the carrier since my vehicle can carry two bikes?

And, with the Yakima & Thule units, will the ratcheting front wheel holder fail?

or

Should I just go with a Thule hanging rack since it might be easier with taking the carrier on and off?

I know, too many questions, I do think and research a little too much however I am usually pleased with my final decisions.

Thanks for listening!

mtbr member

Best hitch mount rack for my use?

This thread will go like this. A bunch of people will tell you that they love their 1up and get it because it's the best. A bunch of other people will post how much they love their Kuat and that you should get it because it is cheaper than the 1up and has a work stand. Then comes the same back and forth that always pops up in these threads..."the 1up is ugly!"..."the Kuat has plastic parts that will break eventually"..."the Kuat has a built in lock!"..."the Kuat's lock is useless against any determined thief"..."I called 1up and they were rude"..."I've had nothing but excellent service from 1up"...etc,etc,etc.

At the end you'll still be left to make your own decision. They both work. They both have their supporters and detractors. Personally, I have the 1up. This will be my third year using it and it's been perfect. Whatever doubts you have about it, forget them. The rack works, the hitch expander works, the add on trays work, etc. It is a bit more expensive than some other racks. It does not have any built in security device. Those are the only consistent criticisms of the 1up. Some claim it's ugly, but I don't know what a good looking bike rack looks like because I've yet to see one. They all just look like racks to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The sherpa i have is pretty nice. My only complaint is the pissy little locking receiver pin they provide with it. If you get the 1 1/4 hitch on your car you will need a 1/2" locking pin, the 5/8" locking pins are for 2" receivers.

The NV is a nice piece, but for $100 more and ~10lbs more, i could easily do with out.

code: mtbr2011
    This sums it up really well. Whenever I'm putting someone into a hitch rack, I want to know the type of car, type of bikes and usage. For carrying 2 bikes at a time - based on the type of bikes you described, anything but a platform rack would be like shooting yourself in the foot.
    The 1up is a very nice rack and I see why folks love them. We would definitely carry them in the store if the company was willing to sell at wholesale, which they explicitly are not.
    Here's my take on the Thule, Yakima and the NV.
    NV - Great rack, and great quality. I have used one for 3 years and have had nothing but a little regular maintenance - lube and tighten at the base (expected on any rack) Bets of the 3 for road bikes IMO.
    Holdup- Tidiest package when stored up for folding. Hook arm won't fail on any of these btw...Rock solid rack and nice features. IMO, carries road bikes a little funky, like the front wheel doesn't want to sit down in the trays. would be #2 on my list of 3
    T2 - Being a large Thule dealer, it's not easy to say that this rack is tired. It's due for a redesign, and that should've happened this season. It's still a great rack for DH riders because of the adjusability of the trays (handlebars vs saddles) and it's the only one that has fat bike compatibility.
    At the end of the day, these are all premium racks, and comparing them all, including the 1up, is like asking what's better, Coke or Pepsi? But.....based on your criteria, (cross bikes), I'd lean to the NV or the 1up for you.
    Just my $.02 on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    This thread will go like this. A bunch of people will tell you that they love their 1up and get it because it's the best. A bunch of other people will post how much they love their Kuat and that you should get it because it is cheaper than the 1up and has a work stand. Then comes the same back and forth that always pops up in these threads..."the 1up is ugly!"..."the Kuat has plastic parts that will break eventually"..."the Kuat has a built in lock!"..."the Kuat's lock is useless against any determined thief"..."I called 1up and they were rude"..."I've had nothing but excellent service from 1up"...etc,etc,etc.

At the end you'll still be left to make your own decision. They both work. They both have their supporters and detractors. Personally, I have the 1up. This will be my third year using it and it's been perfect. Whatever doubts you have about it, forget them. The rack works, the hitch expander works, the add on trays work, etc. It is a bit more expensive than some other racks. It does not have any built in security device. Those are the only consistent criticisms of the 1up. Some claim it's ugly, but I don't know what a good looking bike rack looks like because I've yet to see one. They all just look like racks to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Okay, I understand the comments and they are valid requests for more info;

We are going to purchase a 2014 Toyota Rav4 and I am going to request the 2 inch hitch.
    I did say best and although money always matters, often times the least expensive price turns out to me the most expensive.

I do like the platform type and have looked at the 1up, Yakima & Thule and have some questions about all three.

The 1up, just expansion tightening in the hitch, will this hold up since I plan on taking it off when not using the carrier since my vehicle can carry two bikes?

And, with the Yakima & Thule units, will the ratcheting front wheel holder fail?

or

Should I just go with a Thule hanging rack since it might be easier with taking the carrier on and off?

I know, too many questions, I do think and research a little too much however I am usually pleased with my final decisions.

Thanks for listening!
    We've got a Yakima hanging rack and a Thule platform rack. In my opinion, both could be higher off the ground and I've had a bike fly off the Yakima rack due to a strap failure. The fundamental problem with hanging racks is that the bikes swing in the wind unless you secure them with additional straps, the straps wear out over time and the bikes get dirty on gravel roads or when it's wet (same for every rear mounted rack). The Thule uses a ratchet over the tires (front and rear) and a hook over the frame (the version I have). I secure the ratchets with velcro straps and plan to shorten the mounting arm (between the pivot and the hitch) so my bikes ride closer and the rack protrudes less when folded. When I build my tandem rack I used a section of 1/4" wall 2" square tube and created a wedge fit by cutting the last section at a 60 degree angle and welding an end cap to both ends, welding a bolt through one end and using a nylon inserted nut/washer on the other end. It never came loose and was much easier to remove than most commercial solutions.