Best hitch bike hauler?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Best hitch bike hauler?

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. I just picked up an Intense Primer Pro, and I'm needing a good hitch mounted bike hauler. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    That all depends on how much you want to spend. Higher end double racks cost upwards of $500.00.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    That all depends on how much you want to spend. Higher end double racks cost upwards of $500.00.
    I'm prepared to spend whatever it takes to get a nice 1. Let me know what you think. It seems that not all haulers will fit 29ers correctly.

Bikesexual
    1up!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I just bought online this past Friday, a 1up USA. Seems you can't go wrong with 1up.

mtbr member
    Can't think of anything better than a Kuat NV.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    +1 1Up.

Robertson
    +2 for 1Up. More durable, longer lasting than Kuat. I've literally taken mine on jumps off roading with a bike on the back with no issues at all. Plus if it's just you the 1Up comes in a 1 bike version for $300ish (you can add additional capacity for other bikes one at a time for $200 if you need more down the road

Snow Dog
    +80 for the 1UP!!! Have had mine on my 2010 RAV 4 for 2 years now. It holds my 29+ Surly Krampus as well as the wifes 26er and me and the kids BMX's. It stays on the car 24/7

a couple pics of it in use
    Best hitch bike hauler?-1-13-19-1.jpg

Best hitch bike hauler?-ac1-183.jpg
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I went from Thule to to 1up and feel good about it. Although Thule is a good contender.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've been happy with my Thule and haven't had a problem with it.

Rollin 29s
    Recon Racks

The burliest heavy duty rack on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Thule T2 Pro XT
    Solid. Works for 26Ē-29er.
    No problems for over a year

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Thanks guys! I think I'm probably going to go with the 1up. Its exactly what I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Can't think of anything better than a Kuat NV.
    Until you see the superior resistance to corrosion, rack stacking, ability to repair, retrofit improved parts, and small parts options your 1Up owning friends have.

I'd also say it's wrong to put this in 29r forum because 1Up does such a good job with wheel sizes and different types of bikes.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgil001 View Post
    Thanks guys! I think I'm probably going to go with the 1up. Its exactly what I was looking for.
    You will be happy with your 1UP. I certainly have been with mine for the past 10 years or so!!

mtbr member
    While I'm not jumping, my 1Up has been great when offroading. I don't have any trail photos handy, but it offers great clearance thanks to its "stadium seating" and the all metal construction is solid.

If I had to find something to complain about, it's that the ano doesn't hold up. I have the black anodized and the arms faded to a deep purple the first year. That tiny nit is the biggest I can find to pick at.

Best hitch bike hauler?-gbf92xv.jpg

If I was regularly hauling multiple bikes the Recon Racks rack would be a clear winner. It's a small, class act operation making a super solid product that provides easy mounting and access.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidmantis View Post
    While I'm not jumping, my 1Up has been great when offroading. I don't have any trail photos handy, but it offers great clearance thanks to its "stadium seating" and the all metal construction is solid.

If I had to find something to complain about, it's that the ano doesn't hold up. I have the black anodized and the arms faded to a deep purple the first year. That tiny nit is the biggest I can find to pick at.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GBF92xv.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	1241498

If I was regularly hauling multiple bikes the Recon Racks rack would be a clear winner. It's a small, class act operation making a super solid product that provides easy mounting and access.
    Mine is not anodized because I purchased it before that was an option. Still going strong though. Had to replace slide bars when it was about 5 years old, mine were smooth, the new ones have teeth. Other than that, no issues. If my memory serves me correctly, it was warranty replacement also.
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post
    Mine is not anodized because I purchased it before that was an option. Still going strong though. Had to replace slide bars when it was about 5 years old, mine were smooth, the new ones have teeth. Other than that, no issues. If my memory serves me correctly, it was warranty replacement also.
    I was wondering how long the teeth lasted. I am carefull to not let mine get scraped when I can do it.

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65 View Post
    Recon Racks

The burliest heavy duty rack on the market.

This. You asked which was the "best" one and it's the Recon.

1up, Yakima, Thule, Saris are all good, make no mistake. But for the best? It's the Recon.

mtbr member
    Theres a cult of 1up here, but I don't think its actually justified.

My swagman XC is almost 15 years old, and its still going just like the day I bought it. It was $125 new. I gave it to an ex girlfriend maybe 7 years ago and she still uses it.

Times have changed and the hooks dont work very well with modern hydroformed tubes. I have a kuat transfer now and it works fine. Thules work fine, as do saris and yakima racks. Rocky mounts have their fans. 1up has their fans.

None of the name brand platform racks are bad. I bought a kuat transfer 1 specifically because its a 1 bike rack and it doesn't touch the frame. Its about half the price of a 1up (subjectively looks a million times better) and its got a lifetime warranty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I have a Thule T1 which is great if you're solo riding. I also have experience with the T2 XT PRO model, and it's pretty robust and the highest quality rack Thule makes. The T1 and T2 Classic models allow you to have 2 locks. On the ratchet mechanism itself AND the extendable cable lock. Whereas the T2 XT Pro only has the cable lock. The T2 PRO is also much better built than the T1 and T2 Classic. It's too bad that the T2 XT PRO doesn't have the ratchet lock.

But if I had to do it all over again, I'd get a 1UP rack. I still might and sell my Thule T1.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Didn't the designer/founder of 1up have a falling out with 1up and start another company with a new and improved version? What's happened with that?
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Any one have experience/knowledge of the Rocky Mounts SplitRail Hitch Rack

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Didn't the designer/founder of 1up have a falling out with 1up and start another company with a new and improved version? What's happened with that?
    He dropped the ball in a big way, had everyone stoked, led them/me along, and sold out so he says.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    1up

Super easy to load bikes, easy to keep them from contacting each other.

I've had a few different racks over the last 30 years, nothing I've owned or used compares. Some might have a feature here or there, but overall 1up is the best rack I've ever used. 2 years on the truck 24/7 and it still looks like new, no rust. I have friends with 1ups close to 10 years old that still look new.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by ToYZiLLa View Post
    Yup...purchased on last fall and love it.. Great little rack, not overly complex. Only two gripes about it..
    1. Locking cables in the arms are not very long and thus you can really only wrap around shortest part of the head tube or fork/crown area to get to lock.
    2. Trays are a bit short for longer bikes, but still work fine for those with longer wheelbase like GG Smash, Pole, etc. Just not optimal.

Other than those two gripes, I have no issue with it. Has fit my older Stumpy FSR clone, buddies GG Smash (alloy), 2018 Trek Fuel EX 8, Scott Genius, and no real issues. Love the little contraption to tighten the rack into the hitch receiver, seems kinda gimmicky but works. Other than that, really nice rack for the price (I got mine for less than $400 on a clearance).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    1000% 1-up USA...

Best rack ever made. Everyone is always updating and tweaking here and there but one up got it right first time. Get one and you'll see why.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I don't think I have ever seen a 1up rack. I like my Kuat Sherpa 2.0.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This post comes at the right time since i was just thinking of starting a similiar thread. Didnít realize there were so many 1up fans here. I have read that the 1up lowering release is difficult to reach when multiple bikes are loaded. I currently need space for 2 bikes but that will switch to 3 (son is on 20 inch bike but it currently still can fit in the back of the van). Eventually will be a 4 bike rack setup.

The 1up dude that was going to start over with a new and improved design has decided to to license his design to anyone that wants to build the new and improved approach. I was excited for the new setup but now not sure if I should look back at the original 1up or go in Thule route.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like my Thule T2. Quick, convenient, and nice quality.
    I dig steel-framed bikes of all shapes and sizes.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by ToYZiLLa View Post
    I had the Monorail and it was great rack for the price!! I have used expensive racks but I am guilty of never owning one and in all my years my bike has always made it to the trailhead without any issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    This post comes at the right time since i was just thinking of starting a similiar thread. Didnít realize there were so many 1up fans here. I have read that the 1up lowering release is difficult to reach when multiple bikes are loaded. I currently need space for 2 bikes but that will switch to 3 (son is on 20 inch bike but it currently still can fit in the back of the van). Eventually will be a 4 bike rack setup.
    For regularly carrying four, or even three, bikes I'd seriously look at the Recon Racks racks. Sure, they look like some sort of crazy antenna rig, but one would be much easier to load and unload. I love my 1Up, but you do have to deal with offseting bikes and interference between handles and seat posts. I could see it be very frustrating without dropper posts or at least quick releases on the seat posts. Plus four bikes on the 1Up gets really long. Out of the two, the 1Up wins for single or dual carry.

Short-Change-Hero
    For regularly carrying four, or even three, bikes I'd seriously look at the Recon Racks racks. Sure, they look like some sort of crazy antenna rig, but one would be much easier to load and unload. I love my 1Up, but you do have to deal with offseting bikes and interference between handles and seat posts. I could see it be very frustrating without dropper posts or at least quick releases on the seat posts. Plus four bikes on the 1Up gets really long. Out of the two, the 1Up wins for single or dual carry.
    Agree with with. When it comes to carrying mtb/road bikes in excess of 3 then I would look at the Recon Rack, Northshore, etc. type vertical racks. This will help with a more compact space when traveling and make things a bit more manageable.

Rollin 29s

Best hitch bike hauler?

I carry my single bike to the trailhead about 80% of the time, but it is super easy and fast to load and unload, the rack does not need to be folded down - itís always ready to load 4 bikes, and it only sticks out as far as a 1Up, Thule, Kuat or any other rack when those are folded up.

It does look like some kind of antenna, and it is probably overkill if you never haul 3 or 4 bikes.

The big wins for Recon for me were:
    1. Lifetime quality
    2. Holds 4 bikes in a relatively small package
    3. Swings down to allow tailgate on a full-size truck to fully open - even with 4 bikes loaded.
    4. Guaranteed warranty, even when used on the back of an RV.

Look this one up if you ever think you will have a travel trailer or RV. Only a few rack companies will back their product against the added movement and load applied when installed behind an RV. We travel with 4 bikes every year several times, and the rack goes on the back of the travel trailer.

None of the other racks discussed in this thread will warranty damage if mounted to an RV.

I get a lot of questions from people wondering about the Recon. Itís not a typical way to mount a bike, but it works!

- Lord Charles Beresford

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    This. You asked which was the "best" one and it's the Recon.

1up, Yakima, Thule, Saris are all good, make no mistake. But for the best? It's the Recon.
    Theyíre well-made, but I wonít buy one. A friend had his pivot chock work out, dropping the rear tires on the highway at 70 mph. Iíll accept that was a fluke, but wouldnít feel comfortable without a strap.

Iíve also seen another friendís Recon dropping bikes while shutting service roads at the local ski hill. The bungies arenít strong enough to hold the bikes in place on a truly rough road. They stretched too much, broke, and bikes went everywhere.

Iím a big fan of my 1-Up, but donít want a tray style rack to carry more than 2 bikes; they get too long. When I get a full-sized truck in the next year, Iíll get a NSR-6. I rarely carry our gravel bikes, and I can hang them by the handlebars when I have to.

Rollin 29s

Best hitch bike hauler?

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Theyíre well-made, but I wonít buy one. A friend had his pivot chock work out, dropping the rear tires on the highway at 70 mph. Iíll accept that was a fluke, but wouldnít feel comfortable without a strap.

Iíve also seen another friendís Recon dropping bikes while shutting service roads at the local ski hill. The bungies arenít strong enough to hold the bikes in place on a truly rough road. They stretched too much, broke, and bikes went everywhere.

Iím a big fan of my 1-Up, but donít want a tray style rack to carry more than 2 bikes; they get too long. When I get a full-sized truck in the next year, Iíll get a NSR-6. I rarely carry our gravel bikes, and I can hang them by the handlebars when I have to.
    Iíd rather have a Recon with an extra nylon strap around each front tire than fork Crown wear marks on a new bike with a North Shore. NS make great racks, but they are not truly no-contact, and that was a big deterrent for me. If Iím shuttling up fire roads or on long road trips with the RV, a $2 strap goes around each front tire. To the local trailhead, itís been fine, even going over rail crossings, potholes and speed bumps.

The new design Recon has done away with the tapered pivot chock for a larger square profile one and stronger spring. I canít see how it could ever lift out of the channel on its own (without operator error).

- Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The recon looks interesting but will it tilt enough to allow a minivan rear door or suv rear door to open? And I assume there is a way to secure the bikes if parked for dinner or something on a road trip?

Are there any ill effects of carrying the bikes like that by their front tire? Are problems to carbon wheels or forks stresses or anything?

Rollin 29s
    The recon looks interesting but will it tilt enough to allow a minivan rear door or suv rear door to open? And I assume there is a way to secure the bikes if parked for dinner or something on a road trip?

Are there any ill effects of carrying the bikes like that by their front tire? Are problems to carbon wheels or forks stresses or anything?
    You can get an idea from the pics below (copied from their website). In the Jeep pic, you can see a loop welded to the vertical tube of the rack. Thatís the security loop that a chain could be fed through, and through the bike frames, but I would never leave anything out of sight for more than a minute. Mine will go inside the travel trailer if I canít see them when we stop to eat, or I wonít eat where I canít see them if Iím in the truck.

As for hub and fork wear, Iíve heard that concern mentioned before, but the loads applied while riding are so much greater than they are by just hanging the weight of the bike on the front tire/ hub/ lower fork and headset bearings. I donít think you would notice any difference in the frequency of having to rebuild these items from normal wear and tear.

- Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    This has worked well for me.

https://www.saris.com/product/superclamp-ex-2

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

aka bOb

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartyinWI View Post
    This Saris looks compact and I like clamps from both ends but it doesnít look expandable. It looks like you either buy a 2 bike or a 4 bike. Canít start with 2 and grow to 4.

Out spokin'
    1up. I've owned Thule T2 (good rack) and that Recon looks mighty good if I was hauling more than 3 bikes, but the 1up is the best rack I've found for 1-3 bikes.

I also like how small the 1up folds up when not in use (ie: resting in my garage) plus how "invisible" it gets whenever I fold it up against my bumper when not carrying bikes. I got a black ano'd rack, my car is dark blue and you can hardly see the rack when it's empty & vertical (particular in 1-bike mode). It's quite small and visually unobtrusive.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

beater
    The new design Recon has done away with the tapered pivot chock for a larger square profile one and stronger spring. I canít see how it could ever lift out of the channel on its own (without operator error).
    I imagine my friendís experience is part of the reason for the change. His is the old design, and I know he contacted the company.

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I imagine my friendís experience is part of the reason for the change. His is the old design, and I know he contacted the company.
    That could be.

- Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I also like how small the 1up folds up when not in use (ie: resting in my garage) plus how "invisible" it gets whenever I fold it up against my bumper when not carrying bikes...It's quite small and visually unobtrusive.
    =sParty
    That was a big plus for me too when I decided not to buy another Thule....along with the all aluminum construction of the 1Up.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The new Saris MTR (i guess being released pretty soon) looks like the 1up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    A recent thread (week or 2 ago) discussed how the 1up won't clear a pickup truck tailgate (newer model Ford).

Maybe worth consideration if you drive a pickup as to which rack will allow you to open your tailgate when there are no bikes loaded.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Another vote for the Kuat NV 2.0 it's the best rack I've ever owned, hands down.

Looks great (really, it's beautiful), it performs perfectly, it's rock solid on my hitch (no sway) & it's expandable to 4 bikes (I have the 2 bike version), plus it's fatbike capable, which may/may not be important to you.

The only downside is the price....it's not cheap, but it's manageable if you wait and buy it during the usual Memorial day, Labor day sales etc...
    2019 Kona Honzo
    2018 Trek Marlin 5 (Paved Path Pounder)
    1996 Specialized Rockhopper (When I'm feeling...rigid)

Bikesexual
    2 Votes for the Kuat - 45 for 1up! j/k guys!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    2 Votes for the Kuat - 45 for 1up! j/k guys!
    LOL There is definitely a ton of Fan Boi's for the 1UP, and rightly so , they do make a great rack, I actually borrowed one from a friend for a couple weeks, while I was trying to decide on a rack for myself, ultimately I like the Kuat better. YMMV IMHO etc...
    2019 Kona Honzo

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The issue with the NSR and Recon is bikes are getting so long that it's super easy to drag the rear tire on a road dip.

I have knocked my GG Smash kind of off a couple times because the clearance just isn't there. I have 2018 Toyota Sienna Awd and the htich is tucked up nice and high.

If you have a truck or whatever it should be fine. But they are no longer "normal" car racks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Going to have to put a vote in for the new Saris MTR rack, itís a sleek polished well built tray rack similar to the 1up. Just got mine and Iím loving it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cachaulo View Post
    Going to have to put a vote in for the new Saris MTR rack, itís a sleek polished well built tray rack similar to the 1up. Just got mine and Iím loving it.
    That is a really nice looking rack for sure, I'm digging the design & how well it folds up, it looks like Saris has been paying attention and doing their homework, they are a local company (for me), and I try to support locals whenever I can.....but MAN $800 for a bike rack is a BIG pill to swallow....I thought my Kuat @ $650 was silly expensive LOL.
    2019 Kona Honzo

mtbr member
    $800...ouch. I pretty happy with the Superclamp EX I paid $200 for.

mtbr member
    That would have to be some dip in the road. The Recon can be adjusted so that the tire bar is close to 18" from the bottom of the hitch.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by BassistBiker View Post
    That is a really nice looking rack for sure, I'm digging the design & how well it folds up, it looks like Saris has been paying attention and doing their homework, they are a local company (for me), and I try to support locals whenever I can.....but MAN $800 for a bike rack is a BIG pill to swallow....I thought my Kuat @ $650 was silly expensive LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    $800...ouch. I pretty happy with the Superclamp EX I paid $200 for.
    Holy crap! $800 for this delicate thing? Sure, it looks good, well polished, but can't agree Saris has been doing their homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Saris website description
    Modular: carries 2 bikes, up to 60 lbs, and can be customized with Add-On to transport up to four bikes.
    So you can carry 2 bikes... as long as they're less than 30 pounds each. Guess they're targeting the weight weenie market with this flower; those who will pay big bucks to shave a few grams.

For $800 you can get one of any of the stout, capable and not so delicate racks out there. Many, with money left over.

Shoot, the burley Recon Rack that will carry 4 bikes - of pretty much any weight - is $25 less!

Get the MTR to go haul your Trust fork equipped XC race bike....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Holy crap! $800 for this delicate thing? Sure, it looks good, well polished, but can't agree Saris has been doing their homework.

So you can carry 2 bikes... as long as they're less than 30 pounds each. Guess they're targeting the weight weenie market with this flower; those who will pay big bucks to shave a few grams.

For $800 you can get one of any of the stout, capable and not so delicate racks out there. Many, with money left over.

Shoot, the burley Recon Rack that will carry 4 bikes - of pretty much any weight - is $25 less!

Get the MTR to go haul your Trust fork equipped XC race bike....
    Carries two bikes up to 60lbs each...reading comprehension ftw. Not sure where you are getting delicate from, Iíll lost some pictures later today, seems as solid as my neighbors 1up in initial quality...we will see if it lasts the test of time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Carries two bikes up to 60lbs each...reading comprehension ftw. Not sure where you are getting delicate from, Iíll lost some pictures later today, seems as solid as my neighbors 1up in initial quality...we will see if it lasts the test of time.

I would like to see those pics and hear more about the comparison to the 1up setup. I am thinking about getting the MTB in a 2 bike configuration with later maybe adding 2 more racks.

How difficult is it to put on? Do you take it on/off regular or just leave it on your vehicle?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Iím not going to say anything negative about 1up, they are tried and true solid racks. Just saying my initial impressions of the Saris MTR are pretty positive, with the lifetime warranty and made in the USA I am happy with the build quality and price (there are certainly less expensive options but the features on this one make it worth it to me). Everyone is allowed to have an opinion I just hate when false info is spread, especially when most havenít even seen these in person.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would like to see those pics and hear more about the comparison to the 1up setup. I am thinking about getting the MTB in a 2 bike configuration with later maybe adding 2 more racks.

How difficult is it to put on? Do you take it on/off regular or just leave it on your vehicle?
    I take it on and off, itís easy to install..they added a bottle opener attached to the hitch pin which doubles as handle to tighten the locking pin so no tools needed. After removing the pin it slides off and trays fold up so it can be stored in less space.
    I plan to buy the two bike attachment so I can carry three total, though most days Iíll leave it in the single configuration because it doesnít obstruct my hatch even in the up position as in my picture.

mtbr member
    FWIW: Saris has first class customer service. My new bike had larger tires/wheels and the wheel straps on my 7 year old rack were not long enough. A phone call and Saris just sent out longer ones. I know similar situations with guys who lost parts or had other issues. Saris just covers it. I've had similar experiences with Cyclops (a Saris brand) too. Not being cynical but there's margin enough in their products for them to be able to afford this.

I've been eyeballing that MTR rack but my old rack (now 9+ years old) keeps working great.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Kuat Transfer is a solid rack, flexible hitch mount, narrow tire through mid-phat, and a tremendous value with two-bike at less than 3 bills.

mtbr member

OK, my bad. Saw the "carries 2 bikes, up to 60 lbs, and can be...." which, correctly read, says the two bikes can be up to 60 lbs combined.

Didn't see the lower section that actually says up to 60# each.

Delicate comes from thinking it could only handle bikes up to 30 # each. That would be a delicate rack!

So I was wrong and it's not delicate. But it's still damn expensive for a 2 bike carrier!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    OK, my bad. Saw the "carries 2 bikes, up to 60 lbs, and can be...." which, correctly read, says the two bikes can be up to 60 lbs combined.

Didn't see the lower section that actually says up to 60# each.

Delicate comes from thinking it could only handle bikes up to 30 # each. That would be a delicate rack!

So I was wrong and it's not delicate. But it's still damn expensive for a 2 bike carrier!!
    In the 4 bike setup the first 2 trays from the car can carry 60lbs each then the last 2 trays can carry 35 lbs each. But damn it is expensive.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For 2 bikes or less my favorite is the 1-up, for 3-6 bikes the recon rack.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I have a Kuat, but if I were to do it again, I'd go with one of the vertical hitch racks - either Recon or North Shore. Much better footprint and much more flexibility.

I carry my single bike to the trailhead about 80% of the time, but it is super easy and fast to load and unload, the rack does not need to be folded down - itís always ready to load 4 bikes, and it only sticks out as far as a 1Up, Thule, Kuat or any other rack when those are folded up.

It does look like some kind of antenna, and it is probably overkill if you never haul 3 or 4 bikes.

The big wins for Recon for me were:
    1. Lifetime quality
    2. Holds 4 bikes in a relatively small package
    3. Swings down to allow tailgate on a full-size truck to fully open - even with 4 bikes loaded.
    4. Guaranteed warranty, even when used on the back of an RV.

Look this one up if you ever think you will have a travel trailer or RV. Only a few rack companies will back their product against the added movement and load applied when installed behind an RV. We travel with 4 bikes every year several times, and the rack goes on the back of the travel trailer.

None of the other racks discussed in this thread will warranty damage if mounted to an RV.

I get a lot of questions from people wondering about the Recon. Itís not a typical way to mount a bike, but it works!

Last edited by FrankAtlanta; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I recently bought the Lolo Rack in the 6 bike config. Road bikes, kids bikes, full suspension, they all fit.

The rack swings down with the bikes on so I can open my tailgate in my truck or the hatch in our SUV.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 6280 View Post
    Thule T2 Pro XT
    Solid. Works for 26Ē-29er.
    No problems for over a year

That's what I use as well. It has done the job quite well for me. I like that it fits fat, regular mtb, and road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The Recon rack looks like an improvement over the Northshore rack. Getting your bike free from the steerer grabber is a push. Recon looks smother.

For 4+ bikes vertical seems the way to go. Tray style just sticks out too far.

I may end up with a single 1 up though to just leave on my car (if I get tired of lifting mine onto my roof.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    The thing I like most about the 1UP is that in the single-tray configuration it folds up against the bumper so it is not in the way at all when accessing the rear hatch. A lot gets made of how easy racks are to use WITH a bike, but I think it is even more important how convienient they are the rest of the time.

The only downside is that it is not that good for bikes with full coverage fenders in the rear. I can make it work but it is a little bit of a pain as I have to move the bar that holds the wheel, and then use a strap to keep the rear wheel down.

The Saris knock-off looks pretty nice, too.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interesting info about the Rekon. We have a 6 bike model for our team. I had my bikes from wheel pop loose while going over a patched cut in the road. Fortunately I saw it and was able to stop. Only the saddle and bar end caps and grips were damaged.

I have since started running a rope over all the tires. For good measure I run the rope to the bed of the truck to support the rack a bit more. I was unaware of the possibility of the rack flopping down on its own. Looks like my safety rope deals with both issues.

I will contact Rekon though about the upgraded tilt mechanism. The though if damaging 6 bikes is scary.

Rollin 29s

Best hitch bike hauler?

Quote Originally Posted by drjos View Post
    Interesting info about the Rekon. We have a 6 bike model for our team. I had my bikes from wheel pop loose while going over a patched cut in the road. Fortunately I saw it and was able to stop. Only the saddle and bar end caps and grips were damaged.

I have since started running a rope over all the tires. For good measure I run the rope to the bed of the truck to support the rack a bit more. I was unaware of the possibility of the rack flopping down on its own. Looks like my safety rope deals with both issues.

I will contact Rekon though about the upgraded tilt mechanism. The though if damaging 6 bikes is scary.
    When Iím taking a road trip or longer distances, Iím planning on strapping the front tires, but the new design eliminates bungees slipping out of the anchor points. Complete bungee failure is the only way you are going to lose a front tire.

Regarding the pivot, this is one reason I went with this rack. It is solid and requires some effort to pull down - does not fall down on its own unless you have more than 2 bikes loaded. You can also install a clevis pin in the hole to the right and below the spring pin to prevent the pivot from working at all. Compare this pivot with the photos of some of the other shuttle racks in this thread, which are flimsy in comparison.

- Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    The fellow who originally designed the 1UP rack sold out, then re-designed his original design. He was going to offer it at a significant savings over the 1UP. Many people , including me got on an extremely long waiting list, just to find out that he decided that he would license his patents and not manufacture anything. I got tired of waiting and bought a 2 bike HD setup last year and just last week added two more singles making a total of 4 bike capacity.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by guido316 View Post
    The fellow who originally designed the 1UP rack sold out, then re-designed his original design. He was going to offer it at a significant savings over the 1UP. Many people , including me got on an extremely long waiting list, just to find out that he decided that he would license his patents and not manufacture anything. I got tired of waiting and bought a 2 bike HD setup last year and just last week added two more singles making a total of 4 bike capacity.
    Yeah, all that hoop-la was going when I was purchasing mine. I just went with the original version, and its the best money I've spent on cycling. (besides the bikes )
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Yeah, all that hoop-la was going when I was purchasing mine. I just went with the original version, and its the best money I've spent on cycling. (besides the bikes )
    I feel the same about mine as well...

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    I just got an email from 1Up about the new hitch bar. Looks like it's going to be a retrofittable upgrade.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I just got an email from 1Up about the new hitch bar. Looks like it's going to be a retrofittable upgrade.

Glad to see this option. I love that we can retrofit our old rack. I know most people have never had a problem, but mine has loosened before on gravel roads. Hasn't been an issue because of the strap and I keep an eye on it, but it's nice to have this option if I want it. Now, can they make one in silver?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have experience with the Kuat NV-1 and the Recon-5. Also, indirect exp. with the T2 pro 4-bike, and the 1-up. The Recon is overkill unless your shuttling regularly. I do this quite a bit in Santa Cruz so I am happy with it. The other con is that its a super heavy and awkward rack to take on and off. It also takes up a ton of storage space. If I were looking for a 2-bike hitch rack, I would go with either the 1-up or the Thule T-2 pro. My pref. would be for the 1-up because it vertically staggers the bikes so you don't have handlebars bonking into seats etc.Best hitch bike hauler?-p5pb15434443.jpgBest hitch bike hauler?-p5pb15434449.jpgBest hitch bike hauler?-3cc272bd-287e-417b-9ffb-f8b3176fbf9f.jpgBest hitch bike hauler?-0.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Anyone have any inside scoop on the Thule helium platform rack? Supposed to come out in May but haven't seen any updates on it since it was announced last year.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaincyclist View Post
    Anyone have any inside scoop on the Thule helium platform rack? Supposed to come out in May but haven't seen any updates on it since it was announced last year.
    Funny I was just looking for info on this too.

These new tire hold racks are looking good.

You have the 1up, the Saris MTR, the Inno (INH110, INH120, INH142) and soon the Thule.

The 1up and Saris being modular (and each tray being higher than the previous one) and the Inno and Thule appears to be fixed configuration (and all trays same height to each other) as far as I can tell.

mtbr member
    1Up's site must've gotten slammed after the email yesterday as it kept giving connection error. I was able to find the new hitch bar upgrade this morning:

Cheapest upgrade, ano black only:
    https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-hitch-bar/

For a bit more, you can buy it with side plates and have the option for silver:
    https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2-hi...h-side-plates/

I really like that it's slotted so you can adjust the depth.

beater
    I had the same experience. I was able to get on last night. Iíve never had an issue with the rack staying in place, but I like the ability to use a locking hitch pin rather than a U-lock. Itís cleaner, and even a short cage lock hangs lower than Iíd prefer (though Iíd still use it while traveling to destination areas).

since 4/10/2009
    Hey, finally a 1up rack is even an option for my wife's subaru with the hitch receiver in the bumper cutout.

To be clear, I could put one in the receiver before...except I couldn't use a strap or a u-lock as a backup security method. My trailer safety chains have to drop beneath the bumper to reach the attachments on the hitch.

beater
    BTW, hereís a neat trick Iíve seen with a NSR and a workstand clamp:

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Hey, finally a 1up rack is even an option for my wife's subaru with the hitch receiver in the bumper cutout.

To be clear, I could put one in the receiver before...except I couldn't use a strap or a u-lock as a backup security method. My trailer safety chains have to drop beneath the bumper to reach the attachments on the hitch.
    FWIW I run two 1-up trays on a roof rack on my wife's station wagon. Works great and doesn't interfere with opening the rear hatch.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    FWIW I run two 1-up trays on a roof rack on my wife's station wagon. Works great and doesn't interfere with opening the rear hatch.
    Yeah, I do that.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Had/Have a Kuat NV and a 1Up super duty double. (Also had one of the original tray racks by Sportworks).

Things I Like about the 1up versus the others:
    1. Looks and seems to be very durable;
    2. I like the offset position of the racks and how it brings the bikes up as it goes out; bikes tend to sway more in the rack vs the NV;
    3. The rack seems to be more stable in the hitch (there is no play there, once its tightened into the hitch, whereas the NV seemed to loosen over years and I could not get it to seat in firmly anymore...which is why I purchased a new rack); I have never experienced the rack getting loose in the hitch (Ive read some folks have worried about that in the past) and I'm fully confident that the rack will stay put and keep the bikes on the rack while I travel.

Things I don't like so much about the 1up versus the others:
    1. more difficult to get the bikes into and out of the rack versus the NV (the slots for the rack arms can get stuck as you try to raise and lower the rack arms -- it takes more finesse to get this to operate smoothly, where as the design of the rack arm of the NV does not require any finessing and or finagling);
    2. while the bikes don't noticeably sway once they are in the rack and on the road, they do lean...this didn't happen with the NV...I see/feel more side to side movement with the 1UP versus the NV;
    3. Purchased the "EZ Pull" bar to supposedly help with the lowering and raising of the rack, but its not so "EZ" to use. It was really "sticky" feeling even though there wasn't anything to stick...its just aluminum on aluminum and its starting to get a little "EZer" with more use, but still a bit sticky;
    3. 1UP is expensive, which I understand and don't mind as much, but the accessories add up, locks and license plate adapters, EZ pull adapter, and now I'll have to spend another $115 for a slotted hitch mount, if I want to swap out the hitch, or, continue using the u-lock or safety chain Velcro strap option. All told I'm in over $850 so far for a 2 bike rack. Again, apparently not a deal breaker for me, but it would be nice to get some of these optional accessories in a 1 package price, versus add on and add on and add on, etc.

gravity curmudgeon
    Need a new hitch rack. Lots of interesting info here. My old T2 (maybe 20 years old) is a marginal fit for my new bike. I think it is time to upgrade. I have a 1 1/4" hitch on my old Outback, but I am considering a new vehicle that could have a 2" hitch. Any of these options do better with adapters and such across hitch sizes? I will use a rack for local riding as well as long distance travel with bikes here in the Rockies, western US. Thanks for any thought.

BTW, I looked at the Kuat offerings at local shop. I was impressed compared to the old T2. But there are clearly many options out there.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
    Need a new hitch rack. Lots of interesting info here. My old T2 (maybe 20 years old) is a marginal fit for my new bike. I think it is time to upgrade. I have a 1 1/4" hitch on my old Outback, but I am considering a new vehicle that could have a 2" hitch. Any of these options do better with adapters and such across hitch sizes? I will use a rack for local riding as well as long distance travel with bikes here in the Rockies, western US. Thanks for any thought.

BTW, I looked at the Kuat offerings at local shop. I was impressed compared to the old T2. But there are clearly many options out there.
    I would go with a 2" hitch no matter what...it opens up many more possibilities for usage. I had a 2" hitch put on my 2010 RAV 4 for my 1UP and now can pull some other lighter trailers etc...

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by blylek View Post
    ... All told I'm in over $850 so far for a 2 bike rack. Again, apparently not a deal breaker for me, but it would be nice to get some of these optional accessories in a 1 package price, versus add on and add on and add on, etc.
    How are you over $850 in on a 2 bike 1up?????

I got the 2 bike HD, an add-on tray and locks for everything for $858 shipped. Agree they should have some better "package" deals tho.

2" Heavy Duty Double
    Color: Silver 1 $529.00
    Add-On
    Color: Silver 1 $199.00
    Hitch Bar Lock
    Hitch Size: 2" 1 $16.15
    Add-On Lock
    1 $16.15
    Wheel Locks
    Wheel Lock Size: Short (Standard Bikes) 4 $64.60
    Wheel Saver
    2 $24.00
    Hitch Bar Stop
    Hitch Size: 2" 1 $9.99
    Subtotal: $858.89

gravity curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    I would go with a 2" hitch no matter what...it opens up many more possibilities for usage. I had a 2" hitch put on my 2010 RAV 4 for my 1UP and now can pull some other lighter trailers etc...
    That's a good point. I had a 2" hitch and T2 on my old 4Runner, and it was so much. more solid transporting bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wfl3 View Post
    How are you over $850 in on a 2 bike 1up?????
    Super Duty Double (Silver): 599.00
    EZ Pull Handle (for double rack): 69.00
    License Plate Holder: 49.00
    Wheel Locks (2): 32.30
    2" Slotted Hitch bar with plates: 115.00

Total: 864.30 before taxes and shipping.

Granted, that's with a new slotted hitch bar, which I don't necessarily need, but I like the added security that being able to use a hitch pin to secure the rack to the receiver. I wouldn't buy the ez pull handle again, as I don't think it adds much convenience on a 2 bike rack. License plate holder seems silly, but since I was warned by PD that my plate wasn't visible, it seems like good insurance against a potential ticket.

So without the slotted hitch bar, it would come out to 749.30 before taxes and shipping.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    (Deleted)
    Last edited by cue003; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:42 PM.

Rollin 29s
    Super Duty Double (Silver): 599.00
    EZ Pull Handle (for double rack): 69.00
    License Plate Holder: 49.00
    Wheel Locks (2): 32.30
    2" Slotted Hitch bar with plates: 115.00

Total: 864.30 before taxes and shipping.

Granted, that's with a new slotted hitch bar, which I don't necessarily need, but I like the added security that being able to use a hitch pin to secure the rack to the receiver. I wouldn't buy the ez pull handle again, as I don't think it adds much convenience on a 2 bike rack. License plate holder seems silly, but since I was warned by PD that my plate wasn't visible, it seems like good insurance against a potential ticket.

So without the slotted hitch bar, it would come out to 749.30 before taxes and shipping.

That still seems excessively expensive for only hauling 2 bikes. I paid $775 for the 4 bike Recon even though 95% of the time itís just me and my single bike to the local trailhead. I needed something I could trust not to fall apart or allow the bikes to contact each other or the rack on road trips behind the travel trailer with 4 bikes. Plus the occasional shuttle runs at Downieville.

- Lord Charles Beresford

Snow Dog
    glad I got my 1UP when I did...

I got the Super Duty Double, with hitch extender, and EZ pull handle for right around $650, but it was 3 years ago...

I need the license plate holder though. might be getting one of those...

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    1 ups have never been considered cheap.... It's all in what it's worth to you and if you are okay with the cost.

I paid $200 for my Rocky Mounts roof rack.

But I can see the value in a 1Up (just haven't bought one)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That still seems excessively expensive for only hauling 2 bikes. I paid $775 for the 4 bike Recon even though 95% of the time itís just me and my single bike to the local trailhead. I needed something I could trust not to fall apart or allow the bikes to contact each other or the rack on road trips behind the travel trailer with 4 bikes. Plus the occasional shuttle runs at Downieville.

Yea, It definitely adds up quickly with the add-ons. Plus the "super duty" is more expensive than the "heavy duty" which is a little cheaper (like $30 cheaper). Not sure I'd go down that road again especially with so many other options. Dont get me wrong, I like the rack and I think it works really well, but Its not perfect (no rack is really perfect), and at that price point, I wish it were.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yea, It definitely adds up quickly with the add-ons. Plus the "super duty" is more expensive than the "heavy duty" which is a little cheaper (like $30 cheaper). Not sure I'd go down that road again especially with so many other options. Dont get me wrong, I like the rack and I think it works really well, but Its not perfect (no rack is really perfect), and at that price point, I wish it were.
    One thing the 1up has over other racks I've owned and seen is how well it holds up to the elements when left on the vehicle 24/7/365. Mine looks like new after 2 years so far and I have several other riders around here with up to 8 years on theirs and they still look great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast