best deal now for an el cheapo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

best deal now for an el cheapo?

The tranny on my 99 Camry finally quit. Need to buy a kid carrier quick. Something below 23 g's.

Toyota has a base Camry LE with a 239 drive off lease, nothing due.

VW, Jetta Cali edition, 2000 due, 199 monthly.

Really wanted the base Tacoma,, but the 3 seat arrangement is a deal breaker.

Any other deals out there for this struggling fatha?

No disrespect to those who drive mid-priced cars like myself. Just differentiating the post from the Subbie WRX STI, Mustang V8, Bimmer crowd.

Thanks.
    Last edited by bing!; 09-07-2010 at 10:23 PM.

mtbr member
    If cost is a serious issue, consider something a year or two old, big savings, plus you can generally get a warranty just as good as new if you buy it from a dealership.

I would check out the Hyundai Elantra Touring. The space of a small wagon, good fuel economy and Hyundai reliability is really improving fast. Best warranty in the business too. You can get one fully loaded for under $20k or a base model for around $15k. Another option is the Ford Fusion, I'd take one over a Camry any day of the week, the Camry is a snoozefest to drive, super boring looking and an interior just full of cheap, hard plastics. Sure it's reliable, but is it worth driving the most boring car on the road? Not in my opinion. As for the Jetta, my fiance has an 05.5 Jetta and I have been driving nothing but VWs for 10 years. The Jetta has 88k and has been super reliable, VW's reliability has improved by leaps and bounds. The down side is that with the Mk6 Jetta coming out shortly, the value on a Mk5 will drop like a rock soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have a Subaru Forester and wife drives a Subaru Outback. Both cheap to get into and very economical and reliable. And safe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214
    I have a Subaru Forester and wife drives a Subaru Outback. Both cheap to get into and very economical and reliable. And safe.
    I'd gone into the local Subaru, but the lot only had Foresters trimmed up for 27,000 min. It's a nice car, but for the moment, all we need is wheels and a low monthly. Ive got two kids coming into driving age and what I purchase now will be passed down to them in the next couple of years

I almost vomited when I sat in the base Camry. My masseuse has better upholstery on her table. The dash feels like a happy meal toy. But driving off the lot with only a signature is tempting. With that deal, its just so easy to return the car after 3 years and get something else.

We are also looking at the Jetta Sport Wagons and the GTI too. Your comment on quality is encouraging. I have friends with VWs and I am still afraid to OWN one. Lease under full warranty is kinda acceptable. Both are a bit over what we want to spend so we are thinking about it, ah lot. GTI has no luggage space for a family of 4 Sport wagon.....looking good.

This economy has us unwilling to take any more obligations that we need to.

Thanks for the response.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've bought 9 vehicles from these guys in the last 11 years. They usually sell their vehicles withinn $1200 of what they paid at auction. I don't know how close you are to them, but there are decent priced shipping options out there, and worst case scenario you can get an idea of what you should pay for a car that fits your price range.

http://www.randsauto.com/

Click the "cars with pictures" link.

mtbr member
    bing...don't be afraid of the new Volkswagens. The new 2.5l 5-cylinder in the base Golf/Jetta is practically bulletproof and requires not even half the regular maintenance (i.e. timing belts) of the older 2.0l 4-banger. My wife has an '07 Rabbit 5-speed with over 55k on the odometer. Not one single problem with the car. We love it.

Same goes for my old '04 V6 Passat. Bought it used, drove the crap out of it, and never had a single issue.

The Mazda 5 is another car to look at. Lots of utility and still somewhat fun to drive.
    Signature

mtbr member
    You can get decent mileage, well equipped older certified Foresters for under $23G (My 30k mile Forester was $14k).

Also, check out what Hyuandai and Kia are throwing out nowadays. I never would say that ten years ago, but they put out decent cars now. I rented a new Sonata while on vacation and it was very nice. it was also roomy enough for three guys and all are stuff for a week.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I gave 'em hell at the dealer. I brought a pen, paper and a couple of worksheets with purchase prices and lease factors and surprised the hell out of the sales manager. I worked back his lease factor into APR long hand. Negotiated down a 2011 Jetta SE Sportwagen with panoramic sunroof, leatherette seats, 17 inch wheels, premium sound and navigation for $ 345 a month on a 36month lease all inclusive. Free maintenance

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by bing!; 09-11-2010 at 07:30 PM.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    36 monthly payments at $345 equals $12,420. Heck, I could have gotten you about five transmissions for a '99 Camry for less than that, and each one probably would have lasted about three times as long as your new lease will. Plus, in three years you'd still actually own a car.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RIS
    36 monthly payments at $345 equals $12,420. Heck, I could have gotten you about five transmissions for a '99 Camry for less than that, and each one probably would have lasted about three times as long as your new lease will. Plus, in three years you'd still actually own a car.
    The Camry is in the shop. Its getting a new tranny. But Junior will own her when she gets out

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Ah, I missed that in the original post.

Who's "Junior"?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RIS
    Ah, I missed that in the original post.

Who's "Junior"?
    My eldest son 17 years old. Its his first car.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Right on.

Members who have read this thread: 0