Bent Wheels from Thule roof bike rack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Bent Wheels from Thule roof bike rack?

Hello, just bought a new bike and new Thule ProRide Bike rack and traveled with it 600km. When I got my bike down and went for a ride I noticed both wheels seems to be little bent.
    The bikes wheels are strapped to the roof rack by two straps as seen on this picture https://static.theroofrackshop.co.nz...uleBike591.jpg
    and when driving the bike is rocking from side to side little bit on the roof.... The straps hold the wheels real tight so I can imagine if the bike is rocking from side to side for a few hours this exact thing can happen.
    There is also the arm which holds the bikes frame...but that doesn't stop the bike from rocking.
    Does anyone have similar experience?
    Thank you

Your Best Friend
    If the wind or the slight force of rocking bent your wheels, then you have much bigger problems. Think how much force your weight and the trail would be putting on the bike.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    When riding the bike you are putting a completely different pressure on the wheels from a completely different angle they were design to sustain. You don't need to put too much pressure on a wheel from side to bend it.

Your Best Friend
    Not true at all. But keep believing that your rack bent your mountain bike wheels. You are the only person in the history of ever that this has happened to. Your bike is designed to handle force greater than that. If not, your bike sucks.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

live long and huck
    Gotta agree with Sf. Those straps down on the tray didn't bend your wheels. Those straps don't even need to be tight, just snug. They are only there to keep the wheels from jumping up and out of the track, not for keeping the bike upright.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Bring me your bike I will wedge the wheel between two trees apply little bit of force and bend your wheels as well. It doesn't take too much force to bend them when pressing where you're not supposed to.

And yes those straps really did bend my wheels. The bike went straight from the shop right on the rack and when I took it down they were bended. I am not talking crazy bended, just little bit to rub on break pads. I guess I made a mistake of tightening those straps as much as I could. The bike was holding on those straps first and the arm second. I wasn't aware I don't need to make them tight. I am sure when I let them lose next time this won't happen again. Thanks

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by vincity View Post
    Bring me your bike I will wedge the wheel between two trees apply little bit of force and bend your wheels as well. It doesn't take too much force to bend them when pressing where you're not supposed to.
    I beat the sh!t out my wheels more than that every time that I ride. There's racks that work better than the one that you got. You just need a new tray, not the whole roof rack. Sell that one on Craigslist or ebay, or if you just got it take it back and have the LBS upgrade it for you. Get one of the ones that have the arm that goes down over the top of the front wheel and the full tray that the wheels sit in, with a strap for the rear wheel. Hold the front wheel assy upright and secure, the rest of the bike stays upright and secure by default. Much better method.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Do you have some links to see exactly which ones you're talking about?
    The bike I got is SCOTT scale 29er XL ... so big wheels and tall bike. When you consider it was held by those 2 straps the whole bike was acting as a lever and the constant rocking did the job. I think if I go easy on those straps and let the arm do the holding I should be fine.

live long and huck
    See if this link gets you there. http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produc...94xt-_-5546509

You want the Sidearm type contraption. It'll hold your front wheel and not your frame tube. It'll take a 29er easy, I'm rolling a 2.5 Minion DHF on my front and it clears that, barely. In my opinion, this is the most secure way to hold your bike, as well as the most bike friendly. I'd be concerned too with the rack that you have eventually wearing marks on your down tube from the frame clamp.

live long and huck
    It's on sale at JensonUSA for $160.00 with free shipping. Or get your LBS to work you out a deal. I really do think that you will be happier.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Lol.. I have been using Thule carriers for years and I can say without a doubt that unless you did something horribly wrong, bending the wheels is impossible.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Braaaapp!

Re: Bent Wheels from Thule roof bike rack?

Quote Originally Posted by vincity View Post
    When riding the bike you are putting a completely different pressure on the wheels from a completely different angle they were design to sustain. You don't need to put too much pressure on a wheel from side to bend it.
    I promise you it is perfectly possible to sideload your wheels while riding with MUCH more force than a bike simple rocking in a rack with some straps on the wheels. There's no way your bent wheels were caused by the rack. But apparently you know better than all of us.

Sent via morse code
    "It was like a German, techno-weird, acid trip." - The Hoff -