Bed rail mount rack questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Bed rail mount rack questions

I have been trying to think of a way to haul 2 bikes in my truck without using the hitch rack. I have a silverado with the rail system in the bed. I was thinking of making a crossbar that will go over my toolbox and hold the front wheel or doing something that will hold the rack over the bed rail I am a machinist so I can make the parts just wondering if anyone has tried it or has any ideas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i am currently using a roof rack system on my pickup, but find it inconvenient to use a stepladder every time i attach the bike to the rack, esp at the end of a long ride when i'm too tired, so i plan to transfer it to the bed rails

instead of doing a permanent install, i ordered yakima tracks, to be attached to the bed rails, so that the i can adjust the control towers if ever i need to change the spacing between the crossbars (which is unlikely once i dial in the proper spacing, but still it's good to be able to adjust, if ever)

if i could only machine my own parts like you, i'd probably do away with the tracks and control towers, and just use a sort of "u" bolt to attach the crossbars to the bed rails, with a sort of base under the crossbar
    biker boy

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was thinking of using roof rack trays but making my own mounting hardware that would not use crossbars and would position them above the bed rail. I also do not want to remove my front wheel. I am always using my bed for 4 wheelers, and other large items. I should have been more clear. I know no one makes what I am wanting but just curious what all of y'all have come up with I have just started riding but find myself heading
    To the trail more often than I thought I would

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Try these guys out Summit Racks: Pick up truck recreational rack system rain gutter brackets for use with Thule® & Yakima® rack systems and accessories as i've looked into a way to mount bikes using the Chevy CMS rails. You may be able to make your own from looking at their design.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    like you, i also want to be able to keep the bed open for times when i need to use the bed to load tall items, etc, that's why i ruled out a tonneau cover

the yakima control towers coupled with landing pads are very neat because you can easily remove the whole rack system (control towers, crossbars, with the bike racks still attached) and only the landing pads will be left attached to the tracks, so that you can use the bed for loading your 4wheelers; i am going this route because i already had 3 yakima highroller bike racks on my car before i bought a pickup truck, if not, i will most likely fabricate like you

but, if you do not want to use crossbars, and you still want to keep the front wheel attached to the bike, you might want to fabricate something similar to the saris gran fondo, you can easily attach it to a point above your toolbox, or maybe even to the toolbox cover itself
    biker boy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have a silverado without the rails system and installed a set of the summit racks brackets which allow you to install a standard rain gutter racks system on the bed rails. One of the things I like the best is that you can simply loosen the rain gutter towers and remove the rack in like 2 minutes.

A friend of mine has a silverado with the rail system and was able to install a set of their standard brackets (link below) by loosening the rail system to get the brackets in place and shortening the mounting bolts so that they would not interfere with rails system. Below is a photo of the bracket installed with the rail system

Summit Racks | Rack Systems for the Bed Rails of Your Pick-Up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bed rail mount rack questions-gmcargo4.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0