Ball Mount Hitch Racks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Ball Mount Hitch Racks

Anyone have any experience with ball-mount hitch racks? Seems all else equal it would lead to more overall play in the system compared to a regular receiver hitch rack since there is one more connection, although it's fitted tight it should still effectively operate as a single piece. No up-close pictures, but it appears that there's just one big bolt and a washer than nails it into the mount, so you're leveraging the entire weight of the rack+bikes against the shear strength of the bolt (although the bolts do look big in the pics).

Advantage seems to be that you can adjust the height/distance with different ball mounts, an advantage on vehicles lower to the ground.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    kabump

5,280 feet
    I've got the Xport Freeloader with the Ball Mount option. If you can still find it (I think it's discontinued), I can fully vouch for it's carrying ability

The bolt is hardened steel, 1 1/4" diameter if I remember correctly. It ratchets on through the bottom into a rectangular "nut" about 1/3" thick that operates as the mechanism to lock it in place.

Under load (ie, three bikes loaded onto the rack), it will swing side to side slightly on turns. By slightly I mean about 10 degrees. I've had it for about 1.5 years now and neither my car nor my bikes are any worse for the wear (well, other than from my lack of riding skills on the trail).
    My girlfriend recently told me that I have a one-track mind.
    I corrected her and said, "Actually, honey, the term is single track."

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin
    The bolt is hardened steel, 1 1/4" diameter if I remember correctly. It ratchets on through the bottom into a rectangular "nut" about 1/3" thick that operates as the mechanism to lock it in place.
    The fact that it ratchets instead of just sitting in there with a cotter pin is reassuring. You're going to get a tiny bit of play with any receiver anyway.

I'm gonna go for the swagman XP 3-bike, maybe I'll report back once I've tried it out.

Members who have read this thread: 0