Backwards mount?- Mtbr.com
    b a n n e d

Backwards mount?

Is there any advantage to mounting a roof-rack bike tray backwards? (e.g., handlebars to the rear of the vehicle)

Assuming that space isn't an issue (ie., liftgate interference, second bike), is there a reason to do it this way?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I did it during the spring / summer when taking lengthy road tips... no bug guts on grips, etc = Good.
    Now I have a hitch mount so no more...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    When you drive it into the garage the rear wheel takes some of the force and "might" save your frame. Don't ask me how I know this.

code: mtbr2011
    when you forget to buckle the rear wheel strap, or it breaks or comes loose for some reason because of the "lift" you get, you'll never do it again....think broken sunroof, roof damage, fork failure and a whole lot of cursing.

if given a choice, i highly recommend mounting facing forward

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    when you forget to buckle the rear wheel strap, or it breaks or comes loose for some reason because of the "lift" you get, you'll never do it again....think broken sunroof, roof damage, fork failure and a whole lot of cursing.

if given a choice, i highly recommend mounting facing forward
    While its true that the rear wheel may damage your car if you forget to use the buckle, it doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen if you have the trays mounted facing forward. I have a subaru wagon and mount my trays backwards so I can open the hatch without the tray getting in the way. I also find it easier to do a sanity check on the buckle because all you have to do is look up through the sunroof. You may even be able to strap in the buckle by reaching up through the sunroof too.

code: mtbr2011
    it's not the rear wheel that will damage the roof, it's the pedals and the entire bike when it gets swung around in the wind.
    trust me when i say i have seen the effect and it goes well beyond the wheel.

that said, there's nothing wrong with rear facing a bike. we do it all the time, when mounting fork mounts side by side by alternating the bikes. if all is done properly, one shouldn't have a problem. but fail to do that rear wheel strap 1 time and you will know what i mean.

Members who have read this thread: 0