Awesome Yakima Deals- Mtbr.com
    rider
    Mar 2010

Awesome Yakima Deals

Hey everyone, I just heard about a website with some awesome deals on NEW Yakima racks. Its a new site, but they have a lot of stuff including replacement parts. If your in the market for a new rack or need some parts definitely check them out.

http://www.racks4cheap.com

code: mtbr2011
    hmmm....i think this is the best place to get deals on yakima parts. everything is 10% off everyday and includes free shipping on orders over $99.00.

but i'm biased.

http://www.cracksandracks.com/

rider
    Mar 2010
    from what my buddy told me, the stuff at www.racks4cheap.com is between 15 and 60% off retail pricing.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhillr45
    from what my buddy told me, the stuff at www.racks4cheap.com is between 15 and 60% off retail pricing.
    How much is your cut?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You should try another line of work.

The website sucks. Some info on discontinued product. You're trying to sell product yet no pricing is given. If you want to be a bottom feeder go back to spamming on craigslist.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I see pricing but you have to click on the 'Store" tab. I checked the Holdup rack and it appears to be 20% off. I saw no mention of free shipping though. There are places that give 20% off and free shipping. Still, these are good prices.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The media is reporting on this... article cut from SportsOneSource below...
    ------------------------------

Yakima CEO Warns About Racks4Cheap.com
    SportsOneSource Media Posted: 3/18/2010

Yakima CEO Gerald T. Heinlen has sent a letter to its 5,000 U.S. dealers regarding the sale of Yakima brand products below established prices at the website, www.Racks4Cheap.com. Yakima contends the website, launched about two weeks ago, is connected to competitor, Thule Inc.

The full letter follows:

March 16, 2010

Dear Yakima Dealers:

It has recently come to our attention that a new website has emerged that is selling Yakima brand products at prices below our established retail prices. We have had numerous calls from our legitimate retail partners and consumers asking if Yakima sanctions or services such a site. The short answer is that we do not.

Upon investigating Racks4Cheap.com, Yakima has learned information we believe should be communicated to our dealers in order to prevent potential confusion in the marketplace. Below is a brief review of some of our findings:

Racks4Cheap.com first appeared on the internet about two weeks ago. The site offers no information which would allow someone to contact the business by phone and lists no physical address. Its sales policies state that all sales are final and no returns are allowed for any reason.

Racks4Cheap.com is not currently, nor ever has been, an authorized Yakima dealer. In fact, from our investigation, it appears that Racks4Cheap.com is directly connected with Thule, Inc. in Connecticut. Publicly available records show that Thule, Inc. owns the telephone number that appears on Racks4Cheap.com invoices. We have placed calls to the number and have had no response. The company operating the website has obtained Yakima inventory, presumably from authorized Yakima retailers, and is now trying to liquidate that inventory into the market. Selected photos of Yakima products on Racks4Cheap.com show the price stickers still on the cartons from retailers who purchased the inventory from Yakima. Yakima has never provided Racks4Cheap.com, or any of our competitors, with products to sell.

The practice of 'lifting and dumping' competitive inventory is relatively rare in the outdoor industry. Yakima does not engage in this unsavory business practice. There are a few manufacturers, however, who seek out and find retailers who will partner with them in lifting and dumping schemes. Yakima believes that lifting and dumping is bad for our industry because it results in unauthorized dealers selling products for which consumers have no rights of return, no assurance of good customer service, and potentially no manufacturer's warranty. Yakima is very concerned about product inventory in the hands of unauthorized dealers and/or purchased in the gray market outside of our authorized distribution network. As you know, authorized Yakima retailers are not permitted to sell other than at retail.

Our industry is known as a marketplace where most participants work hard to build solid businesses based on top-quality brands and high levels of service to consumers. Yakima appreciates all of our authorized dealers who support the Yakima brand with their hard work and excellent partnership. We are concerned about the confusion and inconvenience this situation is causing. We hope that those responsible for it decide to do the right thing and cease and desist from this unfortunate choice of business practice.

Thank you for your business. We truly value your support, and our company stands ready to work with you to grow and improve your business. We look forward to another year of excellent partnership with each and every one of you in 2010.

Sincerely,

Gerald T. Heinlen

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Anyone check out where dwnhill45 is from? Seymour (CT). Home of Thule headquarters!

Quote Originally Posted by dwnhillr45
    Hey everyone, I just heard about a website with some awesome deals on NEW Yakima racks. Its a new site, but they have a lot of stuff including replacement parts. If your in the market for a new rack or need some parts definitely check them out.

http://www.racks4cheap.com
    ---
    Anyone check out where dwnhill45 is from? Seymour, CT. Home of Thule headquarters in the U.S.

The Punk Hucker
    Wow this whole story is funny. And BTW dwnhillr45 is a troll advertising everywhere since 2 weeks....
    Beware the hucking bear!

yeah....this whole thing is a mess...
    doesn't take a forensics expert to figure out that dwnhillr45 works at thule.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    But the pricing isn't that great. We can get 20% off racks anyway. Now 30%-40% off would be a dumping practice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ya I thought it was really stange that the website didn't have any phone # or address or anyway to contact them.

I would defiantly recommend some on like cracksandracks or www.rackattack.com at least they have good feedback and a # to talk to an actual person.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Boom-de-ah-da, boom-de-ah-da, boom-de-ah-da, boom-de-ah-da. We love to sell racks, we're really sales hacks Boom-de-ah-da, boom-de-ah-da, boom-de-ah-da boom-de-ah-da....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm picking up another T2 soon and 20% off plus free shipping is the best I see in general. I have seen it for a bit less through CL (new) but I'll get it for around $300 - $320 shipped.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Can someone explain why Thule would be selling Yakima racks at discount prices?

Alaskan in exile.
    Quote Originally Posted by wi_bigfoot
    Can someone explain why Thule would be selling Yakima racks at discount prices?
    Speculation on another forum is that it is a "lifting & dumping" maneuver. From what I gather, it is meant to clear the shelves of your competitor's product leaving space for the perpetrator.
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

Quote Originally Posted by LéHut
    Boom-de-ah-da, boom-de-ah-da, boom-de-ah-da, boom-de-ah-da. We love to sell racks, we're really sales hacks Boom-de-ah-da, boom-de-ah-da, boom-de-ah-da boom-de-ah-da....
    and it doesn't take a forensics expert to realize the LeHut is THULE.

this lame move by thule only hurts their own dealers - me included...and grandstanding about it is pretty lame too. in an effort to gain market share, i would think that the fine folks at thule would have a little bit more class. now, the whole world knows the goods are tainted, and i for one, don't want a single item. i've seen the inventory list....26 loadwarrior extensions. good luck offloading that.

regardless of the overall outcome, it's like this, and let me put in hockey terms...
    it's like going out on the ice, and two-handing a guy in the back into the boards and then gloating about it, until you realize some other guy who is bigger and tougher than you is coming at you...so you hide behind your own goon and make your way to the bench knowing everytime, from here on out, someone's gunning for you and you'd better keep your head up, or boom!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What, exactly, is "lifting and dumping"? Why would Thule buy Yakima racks and then sell them at a loss? Or, does this mean they buy out competitors retailers inventory at cost and then dump it?

Also, other than being in the same town, how do we KNOW this is Thule (and not just assuming)?

J.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    What, exactly, is "lifting and dumping"? Why would Thule buy Yakima racks and then sell them at a loss? Or, does this mean they buy out competitors retailers inventory at cost and then dump it?

Also, other than being in the same town, how do we KNOW this is Thule (and not just assuming)?

J.
    in this case, it was thule taking existing yakima dealers and turning them into thule dealers. thule buys their yakima inventory from them, so they'll buy thule inventory.....
    then thule tried to dump it in the marketplace.

and other than being in the same town, yakima was able to trace the phone number to racks4cheap that came on a sample order they made back to thule,
    ...beyond a reasonable doubt? i think so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Actually not "beyond a reasonable doubt" in a legal sense. But it does look like they had something to do with it or at least, didn't track down how their phone numbers were being used. But it could have been an employee who used a company phone number inappropriately but actually had nothing to do with the company's actions and directions. That, for example, could be a reasonable doubt unless proved that the company management took that action specifically.

I'm sure that Yakima and their dealers don't like it because I would guess it depresses their brand and retail prices, it is an aggressive move competitively but I doubt it is illegal. A Yakima dealer can sell their owned inventory for whatever price they want to (presuming they own it). That may violate their contract with Yakima but if they are terminating it, or have terminated it, then it doesn't matter unless the contract called for Yakima to buy it back upon termination. So, does it piss off Yakima and their dealers? Probably. Is it illegal? No (unless I'm missing something). Is it aggressive? Yes. While it work for Thule? Remains to be seen.

Now, don't get me wrong - if I were in Thule management, I wouldn't do this because it probably causes issues in their dealer channel too (I'd be actually surprised if they did do it - it doesn't strike me as smart). I just think we need to be careful about assigning blame until and if it is proved conclusively "beyond a reasonable doubt" that it is in fact a Thule strategy. Having Yakima's say-so that it is "beyond a reasonable doubt" doesn't really cut it for me. For example for them to claim this could be just as self serving as what Thule allegedly did.

Full disclosure here - I own both system (or components of both) and don't sell or work or have a business relationship other than consumer with either one. I think they are both good companies.

J.

john....thule openly admits to this, exactly the way i wrote it.
    straight from the horses mouth...so from a "legal standpoint" it's not byond a reasonable doubt, it's an "admission of guilt"

yes, it does suck for the dealers, and will probably end up biting thule in the ass....you may or may not notice, but they have brought all the prices of the tainted goods up to edlp pricing, which is 10% below retail....but that is available anywhere now...

mtbr member
    thule can kiss my ass for doing this.

i hate shady business practices. I'll be looking to buying a YAKIMA rack when i upgrade
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    New T2 on the way. The Holdup still sucks, though the Skybox is sweet. The Thule boxes have caught up though...probably will be the one for the trip vehicle. I still don't see how selling crappy Yak products (the selection is crappy- and limited) is a practice detrimental to Yakima.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    john....thule openly admits to this, exactly the way i wrote it.
    straight from the horses mouth...so from a "legal standpoint" it's not byond a reasonable doubt, it's an "admission of guilt"

yes, it does suck for the dealers, and will probably end up biting thule in the ass....you may or may not notice, but they have brought all the prices of the tainted goods up to edlp pricing, which is 10% below retail....but that is available anywhere now...
    They admit they did this? Wow. Where and how? I'd be interested to see how they pulled that one off. I'd not think it would work well but then I'm not an expert in the retail rack/dealer business.

I suppose when the smoke clears if they got the market share AND their profitability is there then it's (for them) the right answer. They are in the business of taking care of their share holders (be they public or private). If this is legal and does that then it was the right thing. If this is legal and it doesn't, then it was the wrong thing. If it's illegal then they shouldn't do it and there are penalties for that.

I don't suppose this is any different than Visa locking out Amex at the Olympics or other major venues or GM deciding who in their dealer channel goes or Best Buy putting Circuit City out of business etc...

If they admit to it then it's up front then everyone can decide for themselves. That wouldn't be shady or anything else - it's an aggressive business move nothing more. Business, especially during recessions is tough and it's everyone for themselves. It's that simple. Not pretty, not happy, but that is the way it is and that's capitalism.

At any rate, this has to be a high risk move for them. Going to be interesting to see if it was a smart thing to do. Obviously it caught Yakima flatfooted - and that's not good for them.

Probably doesn't matter to Thule if they even sell the stuff. They are probably just doing it, even at 10% down, to help erode Yakima's margins by forcing everyone to sell it at 10% less to compete. Then, it becomes less profitable for dealers to carry Yakima and it puts pressure on Yak to reduce their dealer price to stay competitive. That reduces Yaks margins and gives them less for R&D etc...

In my industry stuff like this happens all the time and those are companies much bigger than Thule and Yakima.

J.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    All in all- product wise, not much difference between Yakima and Thule. I've sold both. Big difference is round bar versus rectangular bar. Kind of like Coke and Pepsi. It really comes down to taste. Marketing and brand image are probable the biggest influencers when making the decision on a auto rack.
    Right now Thule looks like the cat turd in the playground sand box.

Ibexbiker
    Apr 2006
    Saris racks for me thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LéHut
    All in all- product wise, not much difference between Yakima and Thule. I've sold both. Big difference is round bar versus rectangular bar. Kind of like Coke and Pepsi. It really comes down to taste. Marketing and brand image are probable the biggest influencers when making the decision on a auto rack.
    Right now Thule looks like the cat turd in the playground sand box.
    Some accessories are better from Yak, some are better from Thule. For example, I like Yak's boxes better, I think Thule's towers to mount to existing rails are better (and INNO makes the best ones). My practice is to have both and to have keyed alike sets for both.

Don't want to defend or smack Thule. Time will tell if it was the right or wrong move. It's complicated when two companies are competing in essentially a straight commodity (i.e. Coke and Pepsi). I certainly do understand the dealer angst in all of this - they get caught in the middle of the clash of the titans - and that is aggravating.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Its actually a smart move on thule's part (assuming they don't get caught, which they did) even though most racks are cross compatible, they know if a person bites on the price and buys a thule base rack they will most likely end up buying thule attachments and if they get another car they already have the attachments so now they have to buy a new base rack... They are taking a small hit on the yakima product to lock in clients for life

Quote Originally Posted by baltik
    Its actually a smart move on thule's part (assuming they don't get caught, which they did) even though most racks are cross compatible, they know if a person bites on the price and buys a thule base rack they will most likely end up buying thule attachments and if they get another car they already have the attachments so now they have to buy a new base rack... They are taking a small hit on the yakima product to lock in clients for life
    that's why they took the risk....to capture market share now and for a long time.

the problem is...this wasn't just a small amount of inventory. it was a good chunk of stuff, and alot of it is discontinued, or has packaging problems, or is missing some parts....and alot of it is odd lots of stuff.
    it cost them money to lift it, and it's costing them money to store it and sell it.

mtbr member
    I have used and own Thule, Yakima, and Saris. I got rid of my Cycle On and am almost all Thule for everything. Their customer service has worked for me the one time I needed a spare part. Yakima has too, though the reps sound uninformed about many things. All in all, I still will buy mostly Thule products and I think both Thule and Yakima are really aggressive when it comes to protecting and gaining turf. However, they are the biggest players in town and have to.

Members who have read this thread: 0