Audi allroad hitch?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Audi allroad hitch?

Anyone with an Audi allroad or A6 wagon here that has an aftermarket hitch? I am worried about it's mounting points holding up. The after market hitch mounts on spare tire sheetmetal versus the OEM Euro hitch mounts on the frame, but is $800 - $1,100.

At most, I would be carrying two DH bikes or four trail FS bikes either Thule T2 or Kuat.

Kaishingo
    Quote Originally Posted by samduhspam View Post
    Anyone with an Audi allroad or A6 wagon here that has an aftermarket hitch? I am worried about it's mounting points holding up. The after market hitch mounts on spare tire sheetmetal versus the OEM Euro hitch mounts on the frame, but is $800 - $1,100.

At most, I would be carrying two DH bikes or four trail FS bikes either Thule T2 or Kuat.
    I've installed hitches to BMW E46, VW GTI, and VW Passat. All require bolting through the sheetmetal, typically at or around the spare tire. It'll hold up just fine. Folk in Europe actually tow with cars, leaving US workarounds pretty half-assed.

However, I'm pretty sure all the hitch-rack options are 1-1/4 inch, whereas the racks you're looking at are 2". They make adapters - but the ones I've seen don't allow for a very secure rack attachment.

Now, to get over any fears of drilling multiple holes in a perfectly good German luxury car - that I can't help with.

mtbr member
    I may be able to help you here. I have an allroad as well. As I am a mechanical engineer, I find the US aftermarket hitch designs unacceptable. I'm sure it is plenty strong enough for a bike rack, but I just don't like the way it mounts, and it only provides an 1-1/4" receiver. The hitches from Europe are nice but will not work with US bike racks.

I designed and built my own hitch for my allroad. It uses the same factory mounting points as the OEM/Euro hitch and is a totally hidden design. With an off the shelf adapter, it will accept 2" bike racks. I am working on getting more of them produced right now, and should have info next week on a timeframe and cost.

mtbr member
    If you are still looking for a hitch, they are now available to order:

quattroworld.com Forums: Update on allroad hitches - they are now ready to order! Details inside.

This design is much stronger than the Curt hitch and hidden like the Euro hitches, but will work with US bike racks where the Euro hitches will not.