Audi A4 owners- Mtbr.com

Thread: Audi A4 owners

mtbr member
    May 2005

Audi A4 owners

I'm considering buying a new 2007 A4 2.0T Quattro 6sp manual.

For all of you that own an A4, particularly model year 2005.5 or newer what have you liked and disliked about the car? Are there any issues that I should be aware of?

Any feedback would be great!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have a 2004 TDI Quattro Sport.

It is a great car and I would happily recommend it. The handling is superb in the wet and dry but a whole different kettle of fish in snow. If you were doing a lot of snow driving I would suggest snow specific tyres.The build quality is excellent and the car seems very robust.

I have the 130bhp engine and I feel this is a little underpowered and also suffers from turbo lag. I am going to get the 160bhp Audi chip soon so that will solve the power and lag issues.

Although an estate (avant) it is not very roomy for gear storage and perhaps an A6 would be a better option.

Overall a great car and very enjoyable to drive.

If I had the money it would have to be the RS4 though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by swtballer

For all of you that own an A4, particularly model year 2005.5 or newer what have you liked and disliked about the car? Are there any issues that I should be aware of?

I do not know the specific model, and it might be a larger model, but an associate who has a late model fancy hot rod Audi wagon describes it as he would not wasted his money if he did not have money to waste. I do think he enjoys it.

Somebody I know has had problems he says are specific to the turbo, but his car is a few year old and out of warranty now, so you might want to look at the long-term reliability for the vehicle if you plan to keep it a while. We had a car with turbo that was reliable and it aged well, but it was a different brand.

mtbr member
    That 2.0T is supposed to be a great motor. I rode w/ an Audi tech last year a few times and he bought an A3 with that motor because he liked it working with it so much. I can usually keep up and talk the talk w/ cars but he was on a whole 'nuther level with his detail of how that motor worked.

The 2007 is a B7 body which is the same as a B6 for the underpinnings - same suspension design and drivetrain IIRC. I have a B6 S4 and absolutely love it. My second choice for a motor would be that 2.0T. I had a 1999 A4 1.8T and that car was great.

These cars can have problems like any others but if you buy new the warranty should be good. I would look to change the oil every 5k even tho Audi says 10k.

Check out the B7 A4 forum on http://www.audiworld.com You will find plenty of information on that car.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobbydosser
    I have a 2004 TDI Quattro Sport. I have the 130bhp engine and I feel this is a little underpowered and also suffers from turbo lag.

Thanks for rubbin' our noses in that, we cannont get ANY Audi TDis in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

turbo outback wagon

I tried to buy an Audi on e-bay and now I'm glad I wasn't the highest bidder.
    I bought a Subaru Outback XT. Great for mountain bike trips because of the low roof height (for roof rack bike carriers) my bike will clear most Sonic drive inns, and high ground clearance and all wheel drive are a plus for primitive back country camping.
    My turbo version is very quick and doesn't draw much attention. And if you want to go even faster than the stock 225 hp turbo motor will allow, go to Cobb engineering on the web and order the hand held map re-programmer that ups the turbo boost to different degrees. Lots of room and low enough to sit on the back when the hatch is up.

mtbr member
    6spd manual?
    I guess I'm getting old
    I would think about a triptronic or whatever they call it for 2007.
    1. Thinking resale
    2. Not worrying about xmission and doing other stuff while driving.
    I want an A4 for 2007... but Im seriously considering the GLI cuz of import taxes down here.

n00b
    Dec 2006
    they are great cars, and so far the 2.0t seems to be a pretty good motor. the 1.8t it replaces was garbage. they are stout, safe, and great in all weather conditions. be sure to have money for maitenence though. oil changes are going to cost you atleast $100

mtbr member
    Not sure if I would call the 1.8T garbage. Proper maintenance and it will do well - timing belt every 60k and oil change every 5k. My 1.8T had 80k when I sold it and it ran strong but I kept up w/ the oil changes and the timing belt was done (although there is a dealer story that goes along with that).

n00b
    Dec 2006
    i maintain mine better than anyone i know. full synthetic every 3k, flush coolant 1/yr. im also getting sick of replacing turbos

mtbr member
    What's causing the turbos to blow? Too much heat in the engine compartment? Are you on a stock program? Would a K04 last longer?

ballbuster

Heavy footed driving...

Quote Originally Posted by defconfour
    What's causing the turbos to blow? Too much heat in the engine compartment? Are you on a stock program? Would a K04 last longer?
    ... not letting the engine cool down (turbosavers do wonders here, although VW/Audi should have this figured out already) or there is a blockage in the oil cooling line to the turbo that the mechanic hasn't found yet. Could also be a problem with the wastegate or the computer that opens it.

On older Audi 5000/200 Turbos, they actually had an electric oil pump that would cool the turbo after you shut the engine down. Does the newer 1.8ts have this? Maybe that failed.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by swtballer

Go for it. The 2.0t is a SUPERB engine--I have one in my GTI. (same exact motor) Loads of torque, great MPG, and extremely fun to drive. the thing pulls on hills like there is no tomorrow. I did look at the A4 before I went with the GTI, the Audi is much better appointed and handles better. Also, VW/Audi revamped their assy line in 2005, bodies are laser welded, much better quality overall as opposed to earlier years.

Quote Originally Posted by banks
    Thanks for rubbin' our noses in that, we cannont get ANY Audi TDis in the US.
    Not true. We should start seeing VW/Audi blutech diesels sometime in 2007. They ARE coming.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinxlmman
    I tried to buy an Audi on e-bay and now I'm glad I wasn't the highest bidder.
    I bought a Subaru Outback XT..
    Not to pick, but the Subie is not even in the same class as the Audi. It is a great car, don’t get me wrong, but the handling is not even close. I drove an XT outback for a year before I traded it for my 06 GTI. The thing completely wallowed in turns—it’s a wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Danimal
    i maintain mine better than anyone i know. full synthetic every 3k, flush coolant 1/yr. im also getting sick of replacing turbos
    Lemme guess. CHIPPED? GIAC? LEAD FOOT?

Oh yeah, the 6sp is a hoot to drive as well, but you should really look at the Audi dual clutch automatic if you get a chance--after driving one, my next VW will have it. The 6 speed is fun, though.

Members who have read this thread: 0