Attn: Xterra engineers/designers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Attn: Xterra engineers/designers

Please redesign the roofrack crossbars so that they're compatible with aftermarket roofrack systems. The crossbars that come stock with the current Xterra's look nice but are worthless for actually carrying stuff because you have to buy new, smaller diameter crossbars if you actually want to carry skis or bikes up top. That's good business for Thule and Yakima but doesn't make owners happy.

mtbr member

no you don't...

Quote Originally Posted by Trailcarver
    Please redesign the roofrack crossbars so that they're compatible with aftermarket roofrack systems. The crossbars that come stock with the current Xterra's look nice but are worthless for actually carrying stuff because you have to buy new, smaller diameter crossbars if you actually want to carry skis or bikes up top. That's good business for Thule and Yakima but doesn't make owners happy.
    Rockymounts make the Noose for your bike which fits straight onto the factory bar with the 'long bolt kit' and both Yakima and Thule ski/snowboard racks can be mounted, again with the long bolts(included with Yaima racks) or with mighty mounts or clamp ons

squish is good
    Who needs an expensive rack? A couple shin-pads and some bungees and you can get a crapload of bikes on top! I know roof racks are sexy but I've loaded 3 bikes on top with two on the hitch rack of my Xterra and played the role of the shuttle-mobile all day without spending an extra dime!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Who needs an expensive rack? A couple shin-pads and some bungees and you can get a crapload of bikes on top! I know roof racks are sexy but I've loaded 3 bikes on top with two on the hitch rack of my Xterra and played the role of the shuttle-mobile all day without spending an extra dime!
    genius. you should start your own shinpad/bungee company...I'm sold

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    And you are posting a message to car designers on a mountain bike forum... why?

Maybe you should try contacting Nissan.

squish is good
    Here it is folks, my new patented roof rack system! Simply combine with your existing Xterra roof rack these scuff-guards:

and our specially designed restraint system:

All available for just $300 through my easy to order one call system!

mtbr member

I think you

need to get a chick, you have too much spare time

Muskoka
    TC, search the Xterra owners forum. I recall there were several good options and owner created systems posted complete with pics, back when I owned an Xterra.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    Rockymounts make the Noose for your bike which fits straight onto the factory bar with the 'long bolt kit' and both Yakima and Thule ski/snowboard racks can be mounted, again with the long bolts(included with Yaima racks) or with mighty mounts or clamp ons

Yeah.... what longman said. Seriously, you are just not looking around enough. I had some yakima mighty mounts on my factory rack and they worked great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks, Blackcanoedawg. I just ante'd up and bought the footpack and crossbars from Thule. I actually called them to see if there was no other way. They said that Xterra's crossbars seem to have been designed by people who actually don't use them. I posted my rant here hoping that someone who works for Nissan and actually uses their car might read it. Sending a note to customer service will get rejected.

mtbr member
    Sending a note to customer service will get rejected.
    ... because there is no reason for the rant. Plenty of Xterra owners are doing just fine with their factory bars because there are aftermarket clips that work and are made specifically for the factory bars. If you really didn't want to buy an aftermarket rack system, you had other options. The thule guys are going to tell you there is no other way because they want you to buy as many of their products as possible (bars, etc).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If there is a cheap aftermarket way to use factory x-bars with the Atlantis cargo box, I'm all ears.

Members who have read this thread: 0