Anyone use Rocky Mounts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Anyone use Rocky Mounts?

I am in the market for a couple of new trays for my roof rack, I was looking at either the Thule Peleton or Yakima Sprocket Rocket, but the Rocky mounts come in at almost half their price, so does anyone use them?. are they any good? I am interested in saving money, but at the same time I don't want to buy junk.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    I have them. The main reason for buying them was that they mount to pretty much any factory rack. So, if you have a car with a factory rack you don't need to spend a couple hundred bucks on a new rack system. When compared to my friend's Yakimas and Thules, the Rocky Mounts seem a tad more wobbly, but I think part of it is that my Volvo load bars aren't as strong as Thule or Yakima. Now, on the other hand, the Rocky Mounts still has a secure grip on a 35lb bike.

The skewer system Rocky uses is pretty simple, easy to operate. Seems easier to deal with than Yakimas. Depending on what kind of brakes and fork you are running, you may need the disc adapter. Hayes hydros and Avid mechs seem to mount without a problem, but my Juicy 5s (on a Marzocchi Fork with IS mounts) are a tad tight. They still work, but make mounting a bit of a pain. I'll probably get a disc adapter, since it also adds a couple of inches to the overall tray length, which helps when mounting a FS bike with a long wheel base.

Bottom line, they are a nice rack system. If you check the reviews on this site, you will see that they are pretty well regarded. Reccomendo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thank you for the response.
    Sounds good.
    I just ordered 2 including shipping and one of the disc adapters the total cost was $125.00, I hope that I like them...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You really can't beat them for the price. I've had one for a year or so, and it's held a Trek 970 for 100's of miles w/o an issue. (one time I even forgot to strap the back tire in and it held tight),

mtbr member
    I had 2 when I had a roof rack and they were excellent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1
    Thank you for the response.
    Sounds good.
    I just ordered 2 including shipping and one of the disc adapters the total cost was $125.00, I hope that I like them...
    which model did you order and who did you order through? I've been thinking about getting the noose for my forester and on their site it says $89.95 each. and thats not including lock cores or disc adapters.

mtbr member
    I got a pair of lariats off ebay earlier this year, disc adapters and locks for about $140. I love them, they work well and don't cost an arm and a leg.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've got one as well. Bolted up to my factor bars and have had no issues so far. I got mine for 84.95 (the noose) plus 6 or so for the lock. i would def. recommend them.

Members who have read this thread: 0