Anyone with a T2 and WRX?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone with a T2 and WRX?

Right now I'm just using a plain old thule hitch rack from a few years back. I was interested in the T2, but I'm wondering a few things.

With the T2 folded up (no bikes), can you still lift the rear hatch? Currently, with my rack folded down, the rear hatch just misses the rack by a few inches. It's nice to be able to get in and out without messing with the rack.

Can you post a shot of the rack on the car with the rack folded up. I want to get a sense for how bulky that thing will look.

The reason I have a hitch rack instead of a roof mount is largely due to the fact I want clearance for my parking garage, as well as getting slightly better commute mileage (and less wind noise) during daily commutes. I generally leave the hitch-mount-rack on all season long, which is why I'm wondering about the looks/ergonomics of the T2 when it's mounted.

Thanks,

-Dave

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I can't help with the T2 and WRX, but I have a T2 on my '05 Outback and it is marvelous.

Folded up, it tucks in very close to the hatch ... no way to open the hatch, and just the tip is visible through the rear glass.

Folded down, and with a bike in the nearest position, I can get the hatch open enough to fish a few things out of the back, but no way will it open.

mtbr member
    I have a T2 on my wagon as well. I can get the hatch 75% with my bike on it, but the handlebars prevent it from opening it all the way. The best part about the rack is the ability to fold it down with the bike loaded so you can fully access the hatch.

With the rack folded up with no bikes, you can barely squeak something in the hatch.

mtbr member
    I don't have my digital with me today, so the best I can do is the camera phone shot of my SUV.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade right away, but the T2 looks pretty good.

I am the law
    May 2006
    So, would it be safe to assume that a 1 1/4" T2 would work with a passenger vehicle (i.e., Nissan Altima with a 1 1/4 receiver hitch)? I'm afraid about ground clearance when the rack is in the lowered position. My car isn't "lowered" or modified in terms of its suspension.

mtbr member
    I have no issues with it lowered on my WRX so I think you should be fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0