Anyone own Ford exlorer??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone own Ford exlorer??

Looking for info as posted in this forum but not getting any feedback.
    Any help is mucho apprecitaed.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=250101

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    see my reply in your original thread. Also I forgot you still can't exceed the 100lb. load limit. no matter what you ahve for a rack.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1
    Looking for info as posted in this forum but not getting any feedback.
    Any help is mucho apprecitaed.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=250101
    I own 2...my '97 XLT V8 and Mrs. M. just replaced her '94 XLT with an '06 Eddie Bauer...both have trailer hitches and bike racks. I thought about installing rails but went with the racks because I couldn't see getting a ladder to get the bikes up there and, with the 100lb weight limitation, even 2 sub 30lb bikes would exert enough force at 60mph, especially when cornering or braking to exceed the 100lb limit.

better safe than sorry

mtbr member
    I prefer a hitch mount rack to a roof rack. That way I don't have to worry about running my bikes into anything, like the garage or a drive through. I've got something similar to a Saris Cycle On rack.
    Beware of attack trained trees.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Had a '95 and my wife drives a '02.

The '95 had no roof rails and I used a Sportworks roor rack. The '02 has the rails and I got a Thule roof rack that can handle up to 4 trays; I currently have 3 installed.

On my Matrix I have a Yakima system with 2 RockyMount trays.

I've seem people that have a tray attach to the OEM cross bars, it's not pretty but works.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 12-04-2006 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Sorry, not a roof mount. Same reasons as JM01. Thought you could see anyway. Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

slow
    According to Yakima's website, you should not attach bike racks directly to that rack. Their suggestion is q-towers and Yakima Crossbars bars. You should be able to find the older SST towers on e-bay, and if you can find the Y-29 clips to use with those towers, you can use them instead of the q-towers.

On the newer Explorer, you can use the Mighty-Mounts directly on the factory crossbars, or use a Lowrider to attach Yakima Crossbars to the factory rack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Found Off Road Dead...just kidding.
    Bare Knuckle Brigade

Killing Dreams One At A Time

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I thought it was “Exploder”!

Only joking, they’re not bad old busses. Sorry, nothing serious to add…

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fanghasyou
    Found Off Road Dead...just kidding.
    I thought it was Fix Or Repair Daily

All kidding aside, our experience with the Explorers have been a good one.

slow
    Mustang owner / friend said it was First On Race Day

mtbr member
    I also thought they called them exploders because of them being a bad vehicle... the reaon was the tires that came stock ,the firestones used to literally explode on most of the explorers.
    Mine has 408,000 km's, still has the same compression as new, has a new standard transimission in it and clutch, and does not burn or leak oil.... starts everytime.
    Love it. Also has all manual lock out( hubs and shifting into 4 sheel) as oppose to the new electronic stuff.

banned
    Mar 2005
    I also thought they called them exploders because of them being a bad vehicle...

Wasn't that the Pinto (had 2 of those as well)

Manual hub lock-ups?...all of mine were electonic, from 1994

but you're right, Mrs. M's 1994 XLT had 300,000km and the only reason she traded it for the '06 Bauer was because of the great price...she got it new for less than a 2 year old used one (long story)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

oe rack

you will be fine with the stock cross bars, I have four bike capacity on our Sable wagon for three years now have drove through hard cross wind with 4 on top and no problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01

but you're right, Mrs. M's 1994 XLT had 300,000km and the only reason she traded it for the '06 Bauer was because of the great price...she got it new for less than a 2 year old used one (long story)
    mine is a 92, has abit bigger wheels/ tire package on it also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01

yeah the pintos had the gas tank mounted directly in front of the back bumper... great design idea that was

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    mine is a 92, has abit bigger wheels/ tire package on it also.
    I only called mine the Exploder as a joke. I actually loved it. I had add-a-leaves in the rear and larger springs in the front with edlebrock shocks all around and 30 inch BFG AT ko tires. It was a great handling SUV both on and off road. I didn't know they came with a larger wheel and tire? How are the rocker panels on it. Mine had rusted out so I had to get that done, I also had to put a new trans. in mine at 70,000 miles, the last thing to go was the auto hubs at that point I traded it in.
    Still a good vehicle .

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy_Rider
    I prefer a hitch mount rack to a roof rack. That way I don't have to worry about running my bikes into anything, like the garage or a drive through. I've got something similar to a Saris Cycle On rack.
    Unless you are 6.5 feet tall, roof racks on Explorers suck because you need a friggin stepstool to get them off and on the rack. FWIW, our 91 was purchased back from us by the dealer under WA state lemon law; ( bad manual transmission) our 92 we finally sold with 140K on it, and our current one is a 2001.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    Unless you are 6.5 feet tall, roof racks on Explorers suck because you need a friggin stepstool to get them off and on the rack. FWIW, our 91 was purchased back from us by the dealer under WA state lemon law; ( bad manual transmission) our 92 we finally sold with 140K on it, and our current one is a 2001.
    well i am over 6 feet and thats unusual with bad manual tranny, mine was replaced by original owner at 400,000 k. New tranny has 8,000 K on it.
    Rocker panels are fine on mine.. . I live in BC.

Don't worry, be happy!
    well i am over 6 feet and thats unusual with bad manual tranny, mine was replaced by original owner at 400,000 k. New tranny has 8,000 K on it.
    Rocker panels are fine on mine.. . I live in BC.
    Three major transmissions repairs by 18K, the first one was a shift fork going bad at 5K, and the dealer had it for 6 weeks after that dues to parts unavailability. It was a cut and dried case for lemon buy back, unfortunately we had to get the state attorney general involved before we could get a rise out of Ford.

mtbr member
    Three major transmissions repairs by 18K, the first one was a shift fork going bad at 5K, and the dealer had it for 6 weeks after that dues to parts unavailability. It was a cut and dried case for lemon buy back, unfortunately we had to get the state attorney general involved before we could get a rise out of Ford.
    why didnt they simply put a new tranny in it. Oh yeah I forgot thats too easy

Don't worry, be happy!
    well I don't know about you, but if I've brought a NEW vehicle I a) don't expect tranny failure in the first 5K, it being at the dealer's for 6 weeks because there aren't any parts, and two more huge tranny problems before 20K. I am sure I wouldn't trust the dealer to fix it correctly at that point, would you? And I sure as heck woulnd't pay for it myself!!

Lemon laws specifically state that if your car is out for service for x amount of days, or has been in for repairs on the same thing more than x times, the dealer is required to buy it back from you. It can be a total pain in the butt but it's worth it in the long run.

mtbr member
    well I don't know about you, but if I've brought a NEW vehicle I a) don't expect tranny failure in the first 5K, it being at the dealer's for 6 weeks because there aren't any parts, and two more huge tranny problems before 20K. I am sure I wouldn't trust the dealer to fix it correctly at that point, would you? And I sure as heck woulnd't pay for it myself!!

Lemon laws specifically state that if your car is out for service for x amount of days, or has been in for repairs on the same thing more than x times, the dealer is required to buy it back from you. It can be a total pain in the butt but it's worth it in the long run.
    what I meant was instead of replacing parts in the transmission they should've replaced it and be done with it instead of dickin around with trying to fix it.

Zen Master Flash
    Apr 2006
    I have a Viper and a Raptor on my 98 Explorer, and even at 6' it was a pain to get the bikes on, especially with the Raptor. I ended up going up a size on the bars and mounting the trays outside of the towers. FWIW I'm using Control Towers and the factory rack tracks.
    "There's only two kinds of music: good and bad..."

Members who have read this thread: 0