Anyone Having Rust Issues with Yakima Holdup?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Anyone Having Rust Issues with Yakima Holdup?

Is anyone else having notable rust issues with their 2009 Holdup?

I purchased new in 2009 and had rusted bolts within 6 months. Yakima replaced them with "updated" bolts that also rusted back out by 2010. I finally replaced the two that show the most with stainless bolts from McMaster which have not rusted of course.

I have removed the rack from Nov-April every year including all of 2010 due to injury.

Now the rack body is showing significant rust.

I am Kinda worried this thing is going to rust apart. I will call Yakima since their CS is known to be very good, but I just wanted to see if I'm the only one and/or if they fixed the issue in any way.

Last edited by BQuicksilver; 09-04-2011 at 06:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wow, maybe I'm the only one. I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or worse.

I'll follow up with the reply from Yakima.

bust a move
    imo, none of the surface rust is going to be a safety issue. As long as you have the bolt problem fixed, its kind of a pain but I would lightly scuff the surface stuff, tape off the other stuff and shoot some matching krylon on it and be done. Does suck to have to do all that on a 09 rack. My yak rack (diff. model) started surface rusting on the reciever bar part. I did the above and so far its all good. my .02
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

code: mtbr2011
    we haven't seen rust like this on any racks we've installed. granted, it's very dry here. i'd like to know how yakima addresses the issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was just teasing about it rusting apart. I'm just not sure if it's normal for a well cared for 09 $400 rack to be rusting this badly. I can touch it up, but frankly other spots be rusting soon. I'm thinking a full refinish is the only way to save it, but I sure feel like that is a rather huge job for a newish rack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It has been said in the past will be said in the future too. Today's items are made to fall apart. I have a 11 year old one that has rust on the end but at this point do not care. If I need to get a new one will wait for it to fall apart. Of course not with my bike on it.

I would be upset that only a year old and rusted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I agree a $60 Wal-Mart rack is built to fall apart, but I can't feel the same way about a $400 premium rack from a top-tier (reputation-wise) rack producer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hello everyone.

I have a question those this happen to every bike rack with time?? I am in the market to buy me a hitch bike rack and I was looking at Kuat Bike rack and the Yakima but after see this I might just go to Kuat but will the same thing happen to the rack after time if I have on my car year around???

THanks

the kuat is made of aluminum, so rust isn't an issue. i have had mine on the car since may, and we have had snow and alot of rain this summer, but there is no rust on the rack.
    we also now have the kuat NV core in stock, which is a great alternative to the NV.

Quote Originally Posted by StumpjumperHulk View Post
    Hello everyone.

I have a question those this happen to every bike rack with time?? I am in the market to buy me a hitch bike rack and I was looking at Kuat Bike rack and the Yakima but after see this I might just go to Kuat but will the same thing happen to the rack after time if I have on my car year around???

THanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The only difference from the core to the NV is the build in bike stand and the cable thats for security right. Is the security cable ppl use it? Can ppl just cut that cable and take the bike or is it hard to cut??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StumpjumperHulk View Post
    The only difference from the core to the NV is the build in bike stand and the cable thats for security right. Is the security cable ppl use it? Can ppl just cut that cable and take the bike or is it hard to cut??

Thanks
    the core doesn't have the trail doc ( work stand). also the bike spacing is 10.5" apart versus 13". the core uses a bolt to attach to the hitch, while the NV uses an expanding nut to attach. the core will also fit 2" and 1.25" hitches out of the box. the NV is specific.

the core can add a lock system, similar to the NV. the cable is a good cable, but you have to remember, with any lock system, a professional thief will do as he pleases.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yakima did respond to my e-mail and agreed the rust was outside normal. They haven't stated what they plan to do, just asked for an address.

I'll report back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sooo, FedEx shows up a few days ago with a large box...a brand new Holdup!

Wow, that quality of customer service surely outweighs a rust concern. They will keep my future business.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BQuicksilver View Post
    Sooo, FedEx shows up a few days ago with a large box...a brand new Holdup!

Wow, that quality of customer service surely outweighs a rust concern. They will keep my future business.
    I had this exact same happen to me. One piece of mine rusted. Called them up and had the replacement within 3 days free of charge.

Yakima is a stand up company the way they handle things. I do wonder why they are rusting to begin with, but as long as they are taking care of it, I don't mind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I wouldn't doubt if this problem is fixed on newer models. When you stand up for your product they way they do, you also lose money if the process isn't right. A revised paint process is cheaper than giving everyone 2 racks for the price of one.

Ologist
    I just returned m Yakima to REI and bought a 1upUSA. It wasn't a hold up but it rusted out very fast.